Week 5 GDT - Green Bay (2-1-1) @ Detroit (1-3)

Leader

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except that isn't the case.  You don't take your slasher back and make him your lead back.  If this was a case of Jamaal Williams being ineffective, I'd see your point.  But Jamaal is getting the job done, he's just not getting the big plays.  And let's not pretend like Jamaal Williams has a HUGE lean in the pass pro department.

Seems to work fine for New Orleans.  They aren't starting  Mike Gillislee over Alvin Kamara because they're afraid to give their "slasher back" a legit role in the offense.  Williams is what he is.  A plodder who offers no upside because of a lack of explosion.  He's a 3 yard per carry plodder who's much more likely to get you 0-2 yards on a carry than 7-10.  Through a season and a quarter he's the NFL's least explosive RB by a HUGE margin.  He's great in pass pro and pedestrian everywhere else.  

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Gotta think William's tocuhes factor into keeping the defense honest. If we use him only for pass-pro, guess what the defense thinks is coming when he's on the field.

The question becomes: can 33 get good enough at pass-pro to warrant ALL 1st and 2nd down snaps?

I think the defense already knows when Williams is on the field that they will just play the pass, and take a chance he might run for 10 yards against a two deep look.  I really like Williams, but as long as Jones looks as good as he does, he and Monty should just be role players.  They can both spell Jones when he needs a rest in any formation IMO.

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Exactly. Just because Jones is dynamic (and he is), no reason to ignore what the other backs have been doing. I'm not sure about your last sentence. Do you think JW is not much better than Jones is pass pro ?

What have they been doing?  Has Williams been that great this year that we should be leaving Jones on the bench?  It would be one thing if we'd had a dynamic offense through 4 weeks but our offense has been mediocre at best, down right sucking for huge stretches.  

I guess I don't find 3 yards a carry with a season long run of just 11 yards all that impressive. 

Add Williams to the criminally underrated by Packers fans. A plodder comparable to Mike Gillislee? No.

Guy is more like Starks without top end speed and a truly elite pass blocking back, like perhaps the best in the NFL good. 

Absolutely a reason to keep him on the field, he's the only back we can truly feel 100% comfortable running no huddle with as he's adequate as a runner and receiver and dominant in pass pro. The other two both have weaknesses.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Add Williams to the criminally underrated by Packers fans. A plodder comparable to Mike Gillislee? No. Guy is more like Starks without top end speed and a truly elite pass blocking back, like perhaps the best in the NFL good. Absolutely a reason to keep him on the field, he's the only back we can truly feel 100% comfortable running no huddle with as he's adequate as a runner and receiver and dominant in pass pro. The other two both have weaknesses.

Agree.

Until it's known that AR's not "protecting a leg" or hobbling around - I'll take William's pass pro any day.

ARs our season. He goes down, Aaron Jones wont save it.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Add Williams to the criminally underrated by Packers fans. A plodder comparable to Mike Gillislee? No.

Guy is more like Starks without top end speed and a truly elite pass blocking back, like perhaps the best in the NFL good. 

Absolutely a reason to keep him on the field, he's the only back we can truly feel 100% comfortable running no huddle with as he's adequate as a runner and receiver and dominant in pass pro. The other two both have weaknesses.

Personally, I  think he's criminally overrated.  Because he's great in pass pro, his terrible rushing ability is ignored.  Because he's a Packer and a fan favorite, his stats are suddenly ignored.  His lack of explosion is blamed just on Green Bay's late game play instead of a clear lack of ability.  

Gillislee averages a yard more per carry over his career.  He's got games with more 15+ yard carries than Williams has in his entire NFL career.  If anything, Gillislee was a bad comparison as he's been substantially more explosive over his career than Williams.

Just now, SSG said:

Because he's a Packer and a fan favorite, his stats are suddenly ignored.

Come on SSG - this is just gratuitous B.S.
Nobodies "looking past" anything. Some of us value his keeping AR upright more than you. Thats all.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree.

Until it's known that AR's not "protecting a leg" or hobbling around - I'll take William's pass pro any day.

ARs our season. He goes down, Aaron Jones wont save it.

Time will tell.  I think a quality rushing attack will help protect Aaron's leg a lot more than having Williams on the field which is a reason Aaron has advocated hard to get Jones on the field.  As long as he's on the field defenses will be a able to tea off on our passing attack because he's not a threat to run the ball.  IMO Our rushing attack doesn't need to be respected with Williams on the field. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Nobodies "looking past" anything. Some of us value his keeping AR upright more than you. Thats all.

He's not a fan favorite. He's treated more favorably here than other places. On Reddit he's the worst back that every lived

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

We'll agree to disagree.  I've seen on more than one occasion William's low YPC blamed solely on Green Bay's late game play calling and not the players ability as a runner.  

Like I said in my previous post.  There is no better protection for Aaron Rodgers than having a great running game.

16 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll agree to disagree.  I've seen on more than one occasion William's low YPC blamed solely on Green Bay's late game play calling and not the players ability as a runner.  Like I said in my previous post.  There is no better protection for Aaron Rodgers than having a great running game.

I think you're either picking up on on comments that support your feelings - or misconstruing them.
Nobody I've been reading around here is over hyping Williams talents. I've just not seen it. We all seem to be on the same page - if not the exact same one - the same chapter at least.

Williams is recognized as our best RB at pass pro - and has been said countless times - we're not a running team.
Plus - there is merit to holding Jones back from a heavy running dose as he;s never shown great durability as a pro.

Again - nobody is DISINTERESTED in seeing Aaron Jones on the field - some of us think there might be good reasons to limit his carries / presence - especially when AR is gimpy.

47 minutes ago, SSG said:

Personally, I  think he's criminally overrated.  Because he's great in pass pro, his terrible rushing ability is ignored.  Because he's a Packer and a fan favorite, his stats are suddenly ignored.  His lack of explosion is blamed just on Green Bay's late game play instead of a clear lack of ability.  

Gillislee averages a yard more per carry over his career.  He's got games with more 15+ yard carries than Williams has in his entire NFL career.  If anything, Gillislee was a bad comparison as he's been substantially more explosive over his career than Williams.

I don't think he is valued highly enough to be criminally over rated.  From what I have read in this thread, the argument over Jones not getting the majority of the carries stems from two knee injuries last year, a training camp injury this year, and whatever he injured Sunday that lead people to question if he has the durability to play that many downs.  How many carries Jones gets has nothing to do with Williams.  Besides, it wasn't Williams fault that Jones was suspended two games and thus not available.  

Williams is an acceptable rotational back.   Not sure where all the venom about him comes from.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

I didnt know he was injured Sunday. He was injured Sunday?

I am waiting for the injury report, but I thought I read/heard that he came off the field after his last carry looking a little gimpy- probably nothing, but we will see.

Edit- the pass play following his last carry he dives at the pass rusher's legs as a blocking technique, which while effective, caused him to leave the field which was described as "he was shaken up" , and was replaced by Williams.   Hopefully nothing, but again, not a great showing for pass blocking or durability.  

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold