GOAT Appetizers: RESULT-----WINGS WIN

MWil23

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Dirty Birds or Phuong Trang?

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve been to Dallas, Houston, SA, Austin, SPI, and Galveston for short bits and the whole state is pretty cool tbh.  Awesome food and really nice/friendly people everywhere.

Austin was the gem, from what little I’ve seen. 

Texas in general is a great place to visit. Friendly people, sites to see, reasonable prices, variety. 

Austin is the gem though. Dallas is better for a family vacation just because it has professional sports teams, theme parks, etc. But single or with a girlfriend, Austin 100% of the time.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Dirty Birds or Phuong Trang?

I dont remember. This was like ~8 years ago. We were staying in a hotel near the navy ship, we went to that and then went to some popular area we were told to go to. This is going to make me look really dumb, but it was called the gas light district. It just seemed like downtown to me. 

Edit - - Why do I feel like I went somewhere you told me to go to? Was it not you? It was someone from this site. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont remember. This was like ~8 years ago. We were staying in a hotel near the navy ship, we went to that and then went to some popular area we were told to go to. This is going to make me look really dumb, but it was called the gas light district. It just seemed like downtown to me. 

Gaslamp.  So... probably Commons (good quality wing, I just don't much care for their sauce).  There's another place down there called Werewolf that does a great wing (though I wouldn't call it a buffalo wing, especially since it's marinated for 48 hours and then grilled, but they're still wings).

Dirty Birds is in Mission Beach (more local than touristy area, the tourists tend to go to Pacific Beach).  Phuong Trang is on Convoy Street and their wings are, again, untraditional but in the most sinful way: Butter-injected, fried crispy, tossed with a Vietnamese garlic sauce and topped with jalapenos and fried garlic.

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I'll give it a try. But I've found that most places that people claim have great wings aren't that great. Most are good but nothing that I would make sure to do again.

I've done a lot of places that I was told I "had to try," but none of them really match up with what I've had from Bar Bill or Gabriel's Gate.

I'll give it a go though, maybe this next weekend.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Gaslamp.  So... probably Commons (good quality wing, I just don't much care for their sauce).  There's another place down there called Werewolf that does a great wing (though I wouldn't call it a buffalo wing, especially since it's marinated for 48 hours and then grilled, but they're still wings).

Dirty Birds is in Mission Beach (more local than touristy area, the tourists tend to go to Pacific Beach).  Phuong Trang is on Convoy Street and their wings are, again, untraditional but in the most sinful way: Butter-injected, fried crispy, tossed with a Vietnamese garlic sauce and topped with jalapenos and fried garlic.

Commons. That was it. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I'll give it a try. But I've found that most places that people claim have great wings aren't that great. Most are good but nothing that I would make sure to do again.

I've done a lot of places that I was told I "had to try," but none of them really match up with what I've had from Bar Bill or Gabriel's Gate.

I'll give it a go though, maybe this next weekend.

There is also a really superb fried chicken place near the stadium.  

What are you going to? Arlington or Dallas?

Ultimately we are talking about wings, they arent going to change your life but just saying they are superb. They also do them boneless in a salad. The Blue cheese salad is thumbs up. 

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What are you going to? Arlington or Dallas?

Assuming I understand everything correctly with the public transportation situation, we're going to drive in to a train station outside the city, take a train in, then Uber up to the stadium for a tailgate with unlimited alcohol access (hence the need for Uber and public transportation). So after game, we can end up anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

Assuming I understand everything correctly with the public transportation situation, we're going to drive in to a train station outside the city, take a train in, then Uber up to the stadium for a tailgate with unlimited alcohol access (hence the need for Uber and public transportation). So after game, we can either stay in Arlington for a while or end up back in Dallas. 

They are a bit away from each other. Arlington is kinda south and in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Much more touristy. There are quite a few food places in Arlington. If you are going with your girl and she likes to dance, Bobs isnt too far away and its famous. Lots of country albums have been recorded there. And now I am racking my brain because there is a famous BBQ place near Bobs also. 

It just clicked you are going to the Cowboys/Jags game. You will like the stadium its first class. I would buy tickets and meet up but I just got tickets to the Longhorn Baylor game the day before. Gotta stay on budget. 

EDIT - Just kidding, I am stupid. Its Coopers that is near Billy Bobs. 

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Speaking of - I’m going to be in Dallas proper next Sunday for the game. Where should I go for BBQ?

Rudy's has two locations - one in Frisco and one in Arlington. They've expanded from their original spot in Austin, and it's AMAZING stuff. 

Get the wet brisket with plenty of "sause" as well as the beef ribs. The pulled pork is a religious experience, it's so good. 

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Rudy's has two locations - one in Frisco and one in Arlington. They've expanded from their original spot in Austin, and it's AMAZING stuff. 

Get the wet brisket with plenty of "sause" as well as the beef ribs. The pulled pork is a religious experience, it's so good. 

Dude. Shame effing shame. 

Rudys is the "in and out" of Texas BBQ.  Its fast food Texas BBQ. Its not bad. And I *LOVE* their sauce, but thats not the place you want to send a tourist. 

That said, if its the SA family that owns the Rudys they have baked potatoes w/brisket and they are incredible drunk food. The Austin franchise owners dont offer that item. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Dude. Shame effing shame. 

Rudys is the "in and out" of Texas BBQ.  Its fast food Texas BBQ. Its not bad. And I *LOVE* their sauce, but thats not the place you want to send a tourist. 

That said, if its the SA family that owns the Rudys they have baked potatoes w/brisket and they are incredible drunk food. The Austin franchise owners dont offer that item. 

I'm thinking specifically of Dallas here - this isn't Austin where I can send him to Franklin's or Black's, or Houston where we have Killian's or Pappas'. 

Options are limited in Dallas, from what I've seen. 

I just wanted to say this thread reminds me that my dads boss (avid hunter) brought jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped and deep fried quail breasts to a party one time.

I at 6 of the 12 breasts he brought for 9 people. I would've eaten more if nobody had caught on so fast. 

Archived