ProFootballFocus Top/Bottom at every position, as of Week 4

TheKillerNacho

Once again, there's always an explanation. Plenty of barracking from the sidelines here but once you dig a little deeper, you shall find your answer;

Austin Ekeler

Averaging 112 total yards from scrimmage on just 12 touches per game. This puts his production at 9.33 yards per touch.

So, given we're all fans of instant analysis here, you might well agree with PFF.

Breida

"PFF credited Breida with playing a perfect game in terms of following his blocks, and he displayed his elusiveness and balance with a pair of forced missed tackles, while also averaging 5.0 yards after contact."

I must confess, however, rewarding a running back for following his blocks is quite generous. Isn't that like rewarding a QB for stepping into a clean pocket? I guess it all counts to a win.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Breida

"PFF credited Breida with playing a perfect game in terms of following his blocks, and he displayed his elusiveness and balance with a pair of forced missed tackles, while also averaging 5.0 yards after contact."

I must confess, however, rewarding a running back for following his blocks is quite generous. Isn't that like rewarding a QB for stepping into a clean pocket? I guess it all counts to a win.

I think we'd be surprised by how many running backs aren't great about following their blockers. In fact, this has been an issue for Breida since last year. Breida is an athlete trying to really learn how to play running back, and this was one of the big things I posited about his progression earlier in the season in the 49er forum. I don't know about "giving credit" to a player for doing that, but they should probably be dinged when they aren't doing that, which I do believe happens more than we think. 

In Breida's case, he's always just used his speed and quickness. He has a solid burst and great speed (sub 4.4). The problem has been, he takes a handoff and he just gets to full speed as quickly as possible and runs for the first daylight he sees. He has never had patience to let plays develop and follow his blocking. This has definitely led to him leaving yards on the table for sure (not only for possibly missing a bigger gain elsewhere, but also because at that type of speed and crowding, it left him vulnerable to week tackles due to a lack of balance when going through the line). 

Ted Nguyen did a great breakdown on the athletic earlier this year in the comparative running styles of Morris and Breida really showing why Morris was still effective without Breida's raw skillset. Morris is still solid with his timing, letting plays develop, letting the creases open, etc, and then you'd have Breida just barreling into the line. Sometimes he'd run into his own blockers, sometimes he'd run past them as they were heading toward the second level to occupy a linebacker that Breida would eventually get tackled by, etc.  The dichotomy between the running styles and skillset was very very evident. One of the reasons that Breida has had more success this year than last year is that he is getting better actually running the football. He just needs to stay healthy. 

4 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

AFC

1. Kansas City 14-2

2. New England 12-4

3. Houston 11-5

4. Baltimore 10-6

5. Tennessee 10-6

6. Cincinnati 9-7

NFC

1. LA Rams 12-4

2. Chicago 11-5

3. Carolina 11-5

4. Washington 9-7

5. Green Bay 9-6-1

6. New Orleans 9-7

You got paypal?

On 10/2/2018 at 8:13 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

SAFETY

Top 5:
1. Earl Thomas 91.3
2. Clayton Fejedelem 90.5
3. HaHa Clinton-Dix 90.4
4. Eddie Jackson 90.1
5. D.J. Swearinger 89.9

LINEBACKER

Top 7:
1. Bobby Wagner 91.1
2. Josey Jewell 89.6
3. Blake Martinez 84.9
4. Zach Brown 83.9
5. Leighton Vander Esch 83.6
6. Josh Bynes 82.4
7. Ja'Whaun Bentley 81.7

Too bad Earl Thomas is out for the season.  He was brilliant.  Shout out to Bobby Wagner as well.

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I think we'd be surprised by how many running backs aren't great about following their blockers. In fact, this has been an issue for Breida since last year. Breida is an athlete trying to really learn how to play running back, and this was one of the big things I posited about his progression earlier in the season in the 49er forum. I don't know about "giving credit" to a player for doing that, but they should probably be dinged when they aren't doing that, which I do believe happens more than we think. 

In Breida's case, he's always just used his speed and quickness. He has a solid burst and great speed (sub 4.4). The problem has been, he takes a handoff and he just gets to full speed as quickly as possible and runs for the first daylight he sees. He has never had patience to let plays develop and follow his blocking. This has definitely led to him leaving yards on the table for sure (not only for possibly missing a bigger gain elsewhere, but also because at that type of speed and crowding, it left him vulnerable to week tackles due to a lack of balance when going through the line). 

Ted Nguyen did a great breakdown on the athletic earlier this year in the comparative running styles of Morris and Breida really showing why Morris was still effective without Breida's raw skillset. Morris is still solid with his timing, letting plays develop, letting the creases open, etc, and then you'd have Breida just barreling into the line. Sometimes he'd run into his own blockers, sometimes he'd run past them as they were heading toward the second level to occupy a linebacker that Breida would eventually get tackled by, etc.  The dichotomy between the running styles and skillset was very very evident. One of the reasons that Breida has had more success this year than last year is that he is getting better actually running the football. He just needs to stay healthy. 

Well, there you go. He's corrected a weakness, it's made him a better player and PFF recognises it. Good show all round.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Too bad Earl Thomas is out for the season.  He was brilliant.  Shout out to Bobby Wagner as well.

Surprise how well Seattle’s D is playing. They have a ton of guys graded above average to average. Will make it that much sweeter when Goff shreds them ???

• 2 weeks later...

Archived