2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Just now, mission27 said:

Tbh I feel like we're gonna get Harper.  Hes too good to pass up if he wants to be here.

Like tbh just play him anywhere does anyone honestly think Machado > Bryce as a third baseman?  I'll take the extra smugness and dingers over a gold glove any day of the week.  **** Manny.

14 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Like tbh just play him anywhere does anyone honestly think Machado > Bryce as a third baseman?  I'll take the extra smugness and dingers over a gold glove any day of the week.  **** Manny.

Bryce/Stanton could play first no?  Also don't think it'd be a huge issue if we hadn't signed Gardner...

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

Put Manny at 3B and Bryce at 1B. Or if we want Voit to keep playing, we can figure out some other arrangement. Point is that having Judge, Stanton, Manny, and Bryce in the middle of our order is unfair. We should do it. And imagine if Gary starts to hit like the Gary of old. 

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Philly's got a ton of money and the Dodgers are clearing space........

From whats being said neither of them want to go to Philly after their visits and are looking elsewhere.  I thin Harper is actually waiting on the dodgers to find a way to get him he seems to love it there.   I really think he would like to be a brave as well as one of his best friends in freeman is here and he talked about the fan base alot that he liked.   Problem with us is i don't think we have the owners that will give him the 10/35+ he wants  even though for what our main need which is a RF he is a perfect fit almost.

31 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

From whats being said neither of them want to go to Philly after their visits and are looking elsewhere.  I thin Harper is actually waiting on the dodgers to find a way to get him he seems to love it there.   I really think he would like to be a brave as well as one of his best friends in freeman is here and he talked about the fan base alot that he liked.   Problem with us is i don't think we have the owners that will give him the 10/35+ he wants  even though for what our main need which is a RF he is a perfect fit almost.

Both guys are shopping the phillies offer to other teams. I expect that the money the phillies are offering is much different than the money the dodgers are offering harper. So borris is taking the phillies offer to the dodgers to try and get them to pay more. 

This could also make the phillies nervous and entice them increase their offer as well. 

Borris understands that these two contracts will set the market in MLB free agency for the next 5 years, so he needs to squeeze these teams for every last dollar out of both guys. 

It seems like their market is shrinking as there are only so many teams that have the money and even less that actually want to spend it on one player. 

It is very odd how both guys have the same agent. Im sure it makes teams very uncomfortable because you cant give too much info, knowing that whatever you say will be passed onto other guy. 

If I remember correctly, he used to rep Alex Smith and Peyton Manning. In 2012 the niners flirted with the idea of signing manning before he ended up in Denver. I think Peyton preferred to go somewhere he could run the offense which is why it never happened, but we engaged in serious discussions to move on from Alex after harbaughs first year in 2011. Alex didnt like the way Scott Borris put Peyton's needs above his own, so he fired him. Im surprised that kind of stuff doesnt happen more often.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Put Manny at 3B and Bryce at 1B. Or if we want Voit to keep playing, we can figure out some other arrangement. Point is that having Judge, Stanton, Manny, and Bryce in the middle of our order is unfair. We should do it. And imagine if Gary starts to hit like the Gary of old. 

But it’s not “efficient” enough. That’s all the Steinbrenners give a crap about.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:21 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Rabbit Maranaville, SS/2B, Played 23 seasons (1912-1935) and got 43 WAR, career OPS+ of 82. 100 is defined as league average. 0 gold gloves.

Not saying you are wrong about him, I don't enough about that era except the true greats. But 1. Using gold gloves at all given that we know that is maybe the worst of the awards in terms of voter competency and 2. using gold gloves for a player that played a few decades before the award even started seems a bit wrong.

Also it's Lloyd Waner not Wagner.

On 12/27/2018 at 10:51 PM, jrry32 said:

Or play Harper in CF

10 hours ago, mse326 said:

Not saying you are wrong about him, I don't enough about that era except the true greats. But 1. Using gold gloves at all given that we know that is maybe the worst of the awards in terms of voter competency and 2. using gold gloves for a player that played a few decades before the award even started seems a bit wrong.

Ha all fair points. 

They still suck as far as HoFs go.

11 hours ago, mse326 said:

Let alone using WAR. I think Maranville was voted in because he was considered the greatest SS of all time and a legendary troll.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Let alone using WAR. I think Maranville was voted in because he was considered the greatest SS of all time and a legendary troll.

Nothing wrong with using WAR as a guide. And when was he ever considered better than Honus Wagner?

Archived