2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It'd be wildly ironic if they didn't like Harper's makeup, but was okay with Machado's.  Right now, the Yanks' OF is Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, and Aaron Hicks.  Harper probably can play CF at least for the start of his contract, but he will likely need to get moved off of center sooner rather than later especially if you don't want to run the risk of him wearing down.  That leaves Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner on the bench making almost $30M combined.  With Machado, you can slot him into SS right now leaving Andujar at 3B for the time being.  And when Didi comes back, Machado slides to 3B and Andujar moves to 1B or DH.  More versatility with Machado

The point you're leaving out is NYY made it clear they would rather not have Stanton in LF. That leaves him at DH and Gardner in LF whom they should only be counting on in the clubhouse, not on the field. Ellsbury won't be back either. My only prayer at this point is Frazier. 

1 hour ago, crab1106 said:

The point you're leaving out is NYY made it clear they would rather not have Stanton in LF. That leaves him at DH and Gardner in LF whom they should only be counting on in the clubhouse, not on the field. Ellsbury won't be back either. My only prayer at this point is Frazier. 

Hence why I've been saying that if they snagged either Machado or Harper - I'd prefer it be Harper. Not gonna happen...but if it did.....

Was your comment about Ellsbury because of some known (additional) injury/surgery issue? I dont think we should (or can) count on him for much of anything - but I've not picked up his being definitively "out" still. We owe the guy 21M for three more years. Such a bad decision / contract. That cash sure would come in handy right about now.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hence why I've been saying that if they snagged either Machado or Harper - I'd prefer it be Harper. Not gonna happen...but if it did.....

Was your comment about Ellsbury because of some known (additional) injury/surgery issue? I dont think we should (or can) count on him for much of anything - but I've not picked up his being definitively "out" still. We owe the guy 21M for three more years. Such a bad decision / contract. That cash sure would come in handy right about now.

No info on Ellsbury, just seems like one thing after another will continue 

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Those Philly and White Sox odds are juicy for the presumed high bidders today.

Vegas is all knowing and they don't offer odds like even money on a future bet unless they know something imho 

Harper is from Vegas

Imagine if Harper put millions of dollars on the fact he would sign with a certain team to make up the gap of what he thinks he should be paid

Seriously, I don't think that's illegal. 

10 hours ago, N4L said:

Vegas is all knowing and they don't offer odds like even money on a future bet unless they know something imho 

Harper is from Vegas

Imagine if Harper put millions of dollars on the fact he would sign with a certain team to make up the gap of what he thinks he should be paid

Seriously, I don't think that's illegal. 

They also alter their odds on betting habits.  Very good chance that there has been a flood of "Harper to the Giants" bets based on the "positive" meeting they had with him.  

Not to say that they don't know something, but there are also other factors.

53 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

They also alter their odds on betting habits.  Very good chance that there has been a flood of "Harper to the Giants" bets based on the "positive" meeting they had with him.  

Not to say that they don't know something, but there are also other factors.

I'm that annoying guy who talks about gambling but doesn't actually do it, since Vegas is all knowing. Just seems crazy that they'd give you a chance to quintuple your money on Manny Machado going to the team who has offered him the most money as of today.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm that annoying guy who talks about gambling but doesn't actually do it, since Vegas is all knowing. 

I'm guilty of doing about everything that annoys me.

*Talking about gambling while actively not gambling, save a once in a blue moon cash game of poker ($5-$10 buy in)

*Telling "bad beat" poker stories 

*Telling about "bad beat" fantasy football stories

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm guilty of doing about everything that annoys me.

*Talking about gambling while actively not gambling, save a once in a blue moon cash game of poker ($5-$10 buy in)

*Telling "bad beat" poker stories 

*Telling about "bad beat" fantasy football stories

Bad beat gambling moments are the greatest. I realize that actual gamblers hate people who don't gamble and still talk about it (shoutout to Darren Rovell, who is hated by the entire internet), but watching a last second garbage time 3 that costs people money is fantastic.

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Bad beat gambling moments are the greatest. I realize that actual gamblers hate people who don't gamble and still talk about it (shoutout to Darren Rovell, who is hated by the entire internet), but watching a last second garbage time 3 that costs people money is fantastic.

LOL

I personally liked the guy that bet ON Mike Tyson (42-1) to beat Buster Douglas. He put up $104,000 to win like $4,000. 

Archived