It's that time of the year again. Worst loss in team history talk time.

TecmoSuperJoe

On 2018-10-05 at 12:21 PM, fluhartz said:

Besides the two Super Bowl loses I would say the 2005 Playoffs to the stealers.

I truly believe the Bengals could have won it all that year.  They had just beat them a few weeks earlier and looked like one of the teams to beat. 

First offensive play Carson gets Kimoed and its over.. Chitna kept it close for a little while, but we all knew.... Pitt goes on to win it all.. just a shame

Just one of many disappointments in my Bengals fan hood and the start of the ole marv playoff joys.

People now refer to this D penalty as the tom brady rule. It makes you think the league has bias towards brady, because why didn't they change the rule when Carson got hurt?

Again, why doesn't the league make the QB's wear knee braces to prevent this injury in the name of player safety? 

7 hours ago, 3rivers said:

People now refer to this D penalty as the tom brady rule. It makes you think the league has bias towards brady, because why didn't they change the rule when Carson got hurt?

Again, why doesn't the league make the QB's wear knee braces to prevent this injury in the name of player safety? 

it makes you think that because they do

21 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Agreed, that game was the beginning of the end of Moss in Minnesota. If that game had occurred 3 years later, it would have been incomplete due to the force out rule being overturned. We would have hosted Seattle in the wild card round, who we beat 34-7 in Week 14 of that year.  Let's not forget that the 2003 Vikings played their best football against the best teams in the league (and their worst football against the worst teams).  I think we would have beaten seattle and given philly a fit

Also, gotta think that Manning wouldn't have forced his way out of Arizona.  He would have been excited to throw to anquan boldin.  Maybe the Raiders take Fitz instead of Robert gallery?

Actually, the force-out rule was changed four years later. There was a play in the 2006 AFC Title Game (a Brady to Gaffney TD pass in the third quarter) that wouldn't have counted the following year.

Also, I think the Raiders would have still taken Gallery anyway. I don't think that Fitz had the sexy 40-time that Al Davis liked.

Here's another side-note to this scenario: Since the Vikes would have made the playoffs, the Pack would have been drafting 19th instead of 25th. According to the Green and Gold Forever podcast (I listen to that because they talk about "what ifs" a lot in GB and NFL history), the Pack were into J.P. Losman at the time. That means that A-Rod probably would have been a Bill (they would have had their first-rounder in this scenario with Losman gone), Redskin (they picked after GB) or a Steeler (if they don't get Ben in 2004).

'85 AFC Championship game. The Dolphins had beaten the Patriots EIGHTEEN TIMES IN A ROW at home. Trip the Super Bowl on the line.

Fins had so many turnovers, starting with a RB fumble on their first offensive play of the game and it got worse from there. Pats won easily, then went on to play pathetically bad in a boring Super Bowl vs Chicago. Why Pats why? Fins-Bears would've been so much more exciting. 

That one was so frustrating, the Pats were famous that year for stripping the football during tackles and they made some great plays. 

Also was the day the Fins' defense developed an oft-repeated routine of "always allow the other team have more than 200 yards rushing during playoff games." Happened many times since then. 

On 10/6/2018 at 7:31 PM, PapaShogun said:

I see. That makes sense then.

Year 30 for me.

Seahawks NFCCG is the slam dunk worst loss I've ever experienced and made me reexamine my emotional investment in sports (which improved other aspects of life, thankfully).

A distant second is 4th and 26, and then SB 32. The Owens game was annoying, but we weren't beating the Vikings that year. 

On 10/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, VikeManDan said:

Where to start as a Vikings fan...

I started watching football back in the mid '70s.  Back then the Packers were putrid for almost 2 decades so I have a long list too.   :(

1. seahawks nfc championship. BOSTIC!!!

2. brett favre throws pick to nyg in 2007

3. arizona " good guy" larry fitz does opis to woodson and then AR gets facemasked to lose that playiff game

4. 4th and 26

5. fail mary. only because its a reg season thing.

Nothing hurt worse than the 2008 NFCCG loss to the Cardinals. Everything from December on felt magical. We even had a dramatic comeback in that game just to blow it at the end. The door slammed shut on the McNabb, Andy, Dawkins era. Yeah, that one was brutal. Doesn't feel so bad now though :D

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I'm not going to list those bad losses.  It would take me all morning.  Here is a little history lesson on those sorry decades.  :(

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/the-sorry-years-b99418952z1-287342561.html/

Thanks. That was an interesting read. Depressing, but it was interesting. Didn't know Dickey and Gregg had that bad of a relationship. 

Also, pretty messed up for Dan Devine to run the Packers organization into the ground with the Hadl trade, and then bolt for the Notre Dame job a couple of years later. Of course he then wins a national title with Joe Montana. 

Ahh well, at least they made him look like jerk in Rudy :D 

On 10/9/2018 at 11:30 AM, PapaShogun said:

Thanks. That was an interesting read. Depressing, but it was interesting. Didn't know Dickey and Gregg had that bad of a relationship. 

Also, pretty messed up for Dan Devine to run the Packers organization into the ground with the Hadl trade, and then bolt for the Notre Dame job a couple of years later. Of course he then wins a national title with Joe Montana. 

Ahh well, at least they made him look like jerk in Rudy :D 

Yeah. The same Joe Montana that Bart Starr passed on in 1979 in spite of Packer Scout Red Cochrane's protests. Cochrane watched this guy at ND for four years, and basically told Starr that this is a player that they had to have. When Starr passed on him, Cochrane was so mad that he had to go out in the hall to compose himself:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2016/08/18/how-joe-montana-came-very-close-to-becoming-a-green-bay-packer/

Archived