Game Day Thread: week 5 Broncos at Jets

thebestever6

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We ran the ball a total of 17 times.

Ridiculous and we were having success when we did. 

Jets longest int that didn't result in a td.

Their rushing performance was historic 

Carrs completion % against us was historic 

Mahomes out of the pocket his numbers were historic against us.

This isn't a well coached, well prepared team, this culture is terrible. 

I was fine with elway not getting a qb at 5 hes had a great draft this year thats the one bright spot.

-Denver tried to trade up for darnold that was their guy.

I don't get with Case Keenume short comings why kelly wont get the nod soon. Elway knows this team is going no where.

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, there were a LOT of ppl who bought this take...hook, line and sinker.   And stumped HARD to pass on QB for this draft because we had Case freaking Keenum as our starter.   It's just pretty sad that it's only taken 5 weeks for this very obvious flaw in thinking to be exposed.  

Elway's been a fantastic GM, and he still brings so much to the table - but while his Day 1-2 draft troubles have appeared to settle with this year's results, his (and Kubiak's) complete inability to figure out QB, and his inability to think beyond win-now with a mediocre roster, well, they're his big Achilles right now.    His loyalty to VJ, however, given that was his call - well, mercifully that should end soon.

Elway has been an awful GM for the past 3 years. The only bright spot is this year's draft. Trading up to draft Paxton Lynch, the ENTIRE 2017 draft, letting Wade Philips go, hiring Vance Joseph, and signing Case Keenum w/o picking a QBOTF in this year's draft.

We were nowhere near competing and anyone outside of major homers ( and apparently Elway) could see that.  Right now, this is another lost year that could've been used to develop a young rookie QB. Instead we get to watch boring Keenum and a crappy team with crap coaching for 16 weeks.

50 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Elway has been an awful GM for the past 3 years. The only bright spot is this year's draft. Trading up to draft Paxton Lynch, the ENTIRE 2017 draft, letting Wade Philips go, hiring Vance Joseph, and signing Case Keenum w/o picking a QBOTF in this year's draft.

We were nowhere near competing and anyone outside of major homers ( and apparently Elway) could see that.  Right now, this is another lost year that could've been used to develop a young rookie QB. Instead we get to watch boring Keenum and a crappy team with crap coaching for 16 weeks.

The last 3 years Elway's died by hooking the wagon to Lynch.  And by trying to be win-now...with a mediocre, aging roster.    You can't really have it both ways.  And yes, his Day 1-2 struggles really hit the nadir in 2016-17's draft.   No argument.  Just can't really throw the baby out with the bath water.   His Day 3 record is stellar, and he manages UDFA's really well, and while I don't agree with win-now signings, he usually manages those deals really well (getting Leary to be available to be cut after this year cheaply is a good example - the only whiff was having an injury guarantee for RT Watson, but that's a reflection of how bad the market is).

The thing is, when it comes to franchise QB's - you don't pass up a shot if it's there, unless you already have one.  THAT mistake could really haunt us.   It's one thing to miss on Lynch...it's another to pass on another because of the Lynch fear.  It's really a compounded effect there. 

And again, before anyone says he knew Kelly was there - he wouldn't have targeted Darnold, or chased after Kirk Cousins if he really thought there was anything of note.  I hope he gets lucky if Kelly can be our QBOTF, but that's all it will be - pure, dumb luck on Elway's part.  Still, I'd take it.   Watching Keenum is just plain painful...moreso when we realize it's 36M/2 years.  I can't believe anyone thought that was a deal worth defending, when there were 3 other stopgap QB's who wouldn't have prevented us from going rookie.  But it is what it is, let's just hope Elway gets lucky and Kelly has anything worth hoping for in 2019, once he's ready to play (big disclaimer - he's likely to struggle early whenever he plays - that's OK by me, I've always said we don't have any 2018 hope - but it's more a case of Elway realizing it, hopefully very soon now).

I have to say that I have resisted the idea of blowing up the roster and starting a rebuild - but it is looking more and more like that is what is needed. I said a couple of weeks ago that I didn't like Von's demeanour in the presser - and he has been a shadow of himself the last two weeks.

Roby, Marshall, Stewart, Davis, Wolfe on defence, Kennum, Leary, Veldheer, Booker, DT could probably do with retiring (and I really like him), can we get another season or two out of Sanders - Bolles to RT (unless he develops the smarts to play LT over the rest of the season.

We have some decent to good young players - I liked that Sutton didn't give up on the INT and chased it down at the 1 yd line (and that was after getting his ankle rolled) - I think the basis for a decent roster is there - but we do need some changes.

Last point - I defended taking Chubb - but it will really hurt if Rosen (and Allen) turn out to be good QBs.

As whole this team just isn’t well coached.  I know Musgrave was okay the first couple weeks, but when you watch what the rest of the league is doing offensively what Denver is doing is ancient.

This team needs a new HC.  I love James Bettcher, who is a defensive mind, but with how inept this offense has been for 3 years it’d be hard to pass on an offensive minded HC.

And don’t anyone bring up Kyle Shanahan, he’s been as bad as Joseph as an HC.

20 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I have to say that I have resisted the idea of blowing up the roster and starting a rebuild - but it is looking more and more like that is what is needed. I said a couple of weeks ago that I didn't like Von's demeanour in the presser - and he has been a shadow of himself the last two weeks.

Roby, Marshall, Stewart, Davis, Wolfe on defence, Kennum, Leary, Veldheer, Booker, DT could probably do with retiring (and I really like him), can we get another season or two out of Sanders - Bolles to RT (unless he develops the smarts to play LT over the rest of the season.

We have some decent to good young players - I liked that Sutton didn't give up on the INT and chased it down at the 1 yd line (and that was after getting his ankle rolled) - I think the basis for a decent roster is there - but we do need some changes.

Last point - I defended taking Chubb - but it will really hurt if Rosen (and Allen) turn out to be good QBs.

I don't think our team is good enough right now to draft a QB high. There's a school of thought that believes you have to have a good enough team around a rookie QB that you can contend for a championship during his rookie deal. The amount of money required to re-sign top shelf QB talent saps your funds too much to put together a supporting roster after that point.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think our team is good enough right now to draft a QB high. There's a school of thought that believes you have to have a good enough team around a rookie QB that you can contend for a championship during his rookie deal. The amount of money required to re-sign top shelf QB talent saps your funds too much to put together a supporting roster after that point.

Yeah, but you can’t go into it thinking like that.  If you think you have a franchise QB you take him and worry about the rest later.  

Archived