5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He HAS to be in the top 10 of the league in completion percentage and yards per attempt by season's end.  His talent is top five, so if his production is out of the top ten... There are no excuses for him. 

I would argue that we probably have a bottom 5-7 roster at offensive skill positions, so I don't think it's ridiculous for the numbers to dip. I agree with you that I have been holding out hope for years to see us develop a quick passing game, but we don't have the WRs imo to do it. We don't have multiple crisp route runners who can win off the snap for quick gains. Other than Adams, we have MVS,and Allison who don't win with agility or short area quickness, and we have Jimmy Graham, who doesn't win with anything

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Alright, I am done with all the hyperbole and vitriol today in order to pose a serious question for serious debate.  If you're just gonna completely not get everything I do here and just be an asshat, don't even bother answering. 

What good is all of Aaron's ability if he cannot even do the simplest part of quarterbacking? 

Drew Brees and Tom Brady never hold the ball for more than 3 seconds and never take hits.  Why?  Because they set up longer passes with shorter passes. 

This worked to perfection in the first three series of yesterday.  Rodgers threw four passes to backs and we were rolling offensively.  He threw dumpoff passes as well. 

Then he starts sitting back in the pocket waiting for deeper plays.

I don't think it's a matter of talent.  The Patriots turn nobody running backs into fantasy superstars. 
I don't think it's a matter of offensive line talent.  We've got a damn good RT, the best LT in the league and a pretty good interior. 
I don't think it's coaching.  McCarthy and LaFleur both now. 

So what good is Aaron's amazing abilities when he doesn't set up the ability to use them? 

Throw short.  Set up deep. 

This is my serious issue with Rodgers.  I'm going to be 100% serious here... A lot of times I'm not serious.  I always have an underlying point, but sometimes I inflate things.  Sometimes.  THAT, however, is my serious point.  Rodgers needs to utilize the short passing game more and get rid of the ball quicker.  There is no offense in today's NFL that does not use that, so why can't Aaron?  Is it pride?  Is it ability?  I know he's been really off on some of those shorter touch passes to running backs in the past.  Is it paranoia?  I legitimately think some of it is paranoia on those drag routes.  I think he's afraid of the receiver not catching it and it getting tipped up in the middle of the field. 

It has to stop.  He has to start setting defenses up.  This offense cannot and will not thrive without it. 

You don't have to do that when your receiving corps is Nelson/Driver/Jennings/Jones/Finley etc, but we don't have that.  We do, however, have a top five WR and some younger guys with talent. 

Where is your evidence this is happening in 2019 is my question? Yes this was a major problem in 2018. So far we've played 2 great defenses in 2 tight games. Rodgers has committed 0 turnovers and we're 2-0. There have been extended plays yes, I don't think we're looking at the same volume of them as we were last year. The Vikings and Bears are going to make a lot of QBs look bad this year.

56 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Where is your evidence this is happening in 2019 is my question? Yes this was a major problem in 2018. So far we've played 2 great defenses in 2 tight games. Rodgers has committed 0 turnovers and we're 2-0. There have been extended plays yes, I don't think we're looking at the same volume of them as we were last year. The Vikings and Bears are going to make a lot of QBs look bad this year.

Don’t have any evidence yet.  Right now it just feels the same.  

1 hour ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I think getting him a legit deep threat would help immensely. 

You know how many years people have been clamoring for a deep threat? 3 years at least. Meanwhile, they spend critical draft capital on Quentin Rollins,  Josh Jones and Demarious Randall.

Edited by Howler

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

While Rodgers did let the clock wind down some times against the Vikes, there were also plenty of passes where he didn't leave things to the last tick of the clock. Anyone else notice this (or even agree/disagree with it).

It felt like he got the ball out quicker on more dropbacks than he did in the bears game too, but still holds on way too long.

https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/should-opponents-still-fear-the-reign-of-aaron-rodgers/96669

Not only is Rodgers 0-37 when trailing teams with a winning record in the fourth quarter, he’s also tied — with Trent Dilfer — for 75th with 14 career fourth-quarter comebacks. That figure ranks 15th among active NFL quarterbacks. Additionally, Rodgers is 5-23 against winning teams since 2012 — the same record as Kirk Cousins. Comparatively, Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks) is 26-21 against winning teams since 2012. Marcus Mariota (Tennessee Titans) is 12-11 since 2015; and Andy Dalton (Cincinnati Bengals) is 21-31-1 since 2011.

Edited by Howler

I've got two bad play by Rodgers on a sack so far this year:

The sack against the Bears where he just got read like a book. We had Adams and MVS in the slot on either side. Both are running slants. The ILB on Adams side blitzes and the ILB on MVS' side immediately cheats over to fill the space and Rodgers just never came off Adams. The Bears knew Rodgers was going to stare down Adams and just totally baited him into doing it.

The sack where Graham thought Jones was going to help him and got killed by Hunter. Allison had an inside release on a slot CB with both ILBs blitzing against a Cover-2. When the Defenses blitzes 6, throw the damn thing.  

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I would argue that we probably have a bottom 5-7 roster at offensive skill positions, so I don't think it's ridiculous for the numbers to dip. I agree with you that I have been holding out hope for years to see us develop a quick passing game, but we don't have the WRs imo to do it. We don't have multiple crisp route runners who can win off the snap for quick gains. Other than Adams, we have MVS,and Allison who don't win with agility or short area quickness, and we have Jimmy Graham, who doesn't win with anything

I agree with this. We don't have the personnel to execute the short passing game. 

Jimmy Graham is WASHED. Rodgers still says in pressers that they need to get him more involved. The offense will suffer if we have to rely on Graham to do anything. He sucks at blocking. He sucks at getting open downfield. His speed and quickness is shot. You're just hoping you can throw him a fade in the end zone. That's literally all he's good for.