Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Well ...

If the 5th best person at position X has a first round grade and the 1st best person at position Y has a second round grade, I think you still take the 5th best person. Especially if that position is one of need or higher value.

I'm also talking grades.

If I need a EDGE and a TE. And the first 5 EDGE are taken and I have a chance to take the top TE in the draft (both with 1st round grades), I'm taking the TE. Even if the EDGE was listed as a higher priority (*). 

What I don't want to do is grab #6 EDGE because it's our highest need when a game changing TE can be had (and then we still get an impact EDGE in the 2nd). If you're constantly chasing the trends, you're gonna get lower tier players at every position.

(*) this also takes into consideration how many of each at their respective positions are left and where the drop off from tier 1 to tier 2 is. 

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm also talking grades.

If I need a EDGE and a TE. And the first 5 EDGE are taken and I have a chance to take the top TE in the draft (both with 1st round grades), I'm taking the TE. Even if the EDGE was listed as a higher priority (*). 

What I don't want to do is grade #6 EDGE because it's our highest need when a game changing TE can be had and then we still get an impact EDGE in the 2nd.

(*) this also takes into consideration how many of each at their respective positions are left and where the drop off from tier 1 to tier 2 is. 

That's pretty on point with how I think about it. The case for Hockenson is there is no other player in the draft that can play from an inline te position that brings what he does. Huge drop off after him. Hollywood is the only wr in the draft that has frighteningly fast speed and can run a variety of other routes.

I like Devin White as much as the next guy but he probably won't be available at 15. Devin Bush on the other hand will most likely be there. In that case I don't see a huge dropoff, if any. So if ILB is high on list of needs you take him. Mack Wilson on the other hand is a good lb but not in the same class as Bush and White 

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Well ...

If the 5th best person at position X has a first round grade and the 1st best person at position Y has a second round grade, I think you still take the 5th best person. Especially if that position is one of need or higher value.

Exactly 

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm also talking grades.

What I don't want to do is grab #6 EDGE because it's our highest need when a game changing TE can be had (and then we still get an impact EDGE in the 2nd). If you're constantly chasing the trends, you're gonna get lower tier players at every position.

The 5th edge rusher may have the higher grade and be higher on your big board though.

Why pass on a better prospect for a lesser prospect? 

It shouldnt matter that the player is the 5th off the board if they are the better prospect.

Should Buffalo have passed on Josh Allen bc he was the 4th QB off the board last year for a lesser prospect?

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Should Buffalo have passed on Josh Allen bc he was the 4th QB off the board last year for a lesser prospect?

1. Josh Allen was the 3rd QB off the board.
  2. QB is kind of a special case.

Again, this gets into my how BPA is really an algebraic statement (a combination of need, skill, and positional value). You could really need a kicker and have the next Ray Guy in the draft ... but you aren't (unless you are Oakland) taking him in the first round.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm also talking grades.

It's that asterisk comment that probably acts as the tiebreaker.

And one that unfortunately looks to be breaking against us with more of the mocks. The drop off for EDGE rushers from that top crop to the next tier is pretty steep.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. Josh Allen was the 3rd QB off the board.
  2. QB is kind of a special case.

Again, this gets into my how BPA is really an algebraic statement (a combination of need, skill, and positional value). You could really need a kicker and have the next Ray Guy in the draft ... but you aren't (unless you are Oakland) taking him in the first round.

Oh ok, I thought Rosen went before Josh Allen my bad. 

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

And one that unfortunately looks to be breaking against us with more of the mocks. The drop off for EDGE rushers from that top crop to the next tier is pretty steep.

True, and I don’t think the drop off from the top WRs to the 2nd round WRs is very steep nor the drop off from the 1st round OGs to the 2nd round OGs. If one of the best edge rushers is there or ILbs, we should take them and pick up the other positons later if, we haven’t traded up for a Qb.

36 minutes ago, Woz said:

No disagreement here.

NFL draft: CU coach Mel Tucker drops SEC insight, lauds QB Drew Lock

https://dpo.st/2JQnnwg via @denverpost

Mel Tucker’s two decades of combined coaching experience between college and pro football gives the new Colorado Buffaloes head man an insider’s perspective for the NFL draft. His prior three seasons patrolling SEC sidelines as Georgia’s defensive coordinator prompts a specific question on the minds of many in Broncos Country. What’s your take on Missouri quarterback Drew Lock?

“I think he’ll have a really good NFL career,” Tucker told The Denver Post.

Lock, projected No. 13 overall to the Dolphins in Mel Kiper’s latest mock draft, faced three Tucker-led defenses at Georgia. The Bulldogs prevailed each time with Lock still compiling big numbers: 61-of-111 passing (.54) for 850 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions

“His arm talent is off the charts,” Tucker said. “He’s a competitor. He’s a guy that if you make a mistake defensively, he can hurt you. He throws a really nice deep ball and I definitely think he’s an NFL talent.”

Think theres anything to the releasing of Zack Brown more than cap money? I still don't get Mason Foster being here. I know Reuben Foster will be active at some point this season but going into it with Mason and Dion Hamilton as your starting ILBS is worrisome. Just got me thinking about that spot a little and wondering if they are  eyeing Devin Bush or Devin White or even Mack Wilson. Probably just me reading into nothing but just crossed my mind. I'll be glad when the draft is finally here so the speculation is over 

23 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

Think theres anything to the releasing of Zack Brown more than cap money? I still don't get Mason Foster being here. I know Reuben Foster will be active at some point this season but going into it with Mason and Dion Hamilton as your starting ILBS is worrisome. Just got me thinking about that spot a little and wondering if they are  eyeing Devin Bush or Devin White or even Mack Wilson. Probably just me reading into nothing but just crossed my mind. I'll be glad when the draft is finally here so the speculation is over 

I think they draft an ILB at some point. Not sure if it’s going to be round 1, depends on BPA, but I’d welcome it. If not I hope they cut Foster and sign someone. I loved Foster in 2015, 16 & 17 before he got hurt but we’ve kept him a year too long. Spaight  or Vigil should’ve been our starting Mike last year. It was time for the youth movement and it’s past time now!

43 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

ILB, ROLB, FS, LG, WR all have glaring holes. Oh and QB too

It may just be me, but I don’t have WR or FS as “glaring needs.” WR is definitely a need, but only if the BPA on the board in round is one of these two positions or even a 3-4 DE, should we take the player.

We have young talent developing at FS & WR and there are still FAs available in each position that could come in and help us out should we need them to.

Basically, at WR we have questionable depth and that warrants drafting a WR or two, but doesn’t necessarily warrant drafting a WR in round 1.  

There’s also the fact that it’s nearly 100% that Doctson & PRich are going to be our starting WRs week 1. I know that doesn’t excite anyone - it doesn’t me much either other than both of them have a lot of potential.

I just feel a WR in round 1 should only be taken if it’s their highest rated player on the board.

Gruden has already shown his love for Quinn so, while we may draft or sign someone at some point to back him up, it’s almsot certain he’s your day 1 starter in the slot!

Archived