Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Would you be okay with grabbing him with the 3rd round comp pick? It seems like he's heading up draft boards so a 5th may no longer cut it.

That’s true, because he was the best QB at the Senior bowl. So as long as Rypien shows well at the combine and his pro day, he won’t likely last till the 5th anymore and probably not till the 4th either. That’s yesterday’s news.

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have no interest in Rypien. If his last name was Franks or something like that we’d have no clue who he was. I understand the nostalgia but I have no interest in a career back up. 

We could actually use a quality back up.  

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have no interest in Rypien. If his last name was Franks or something like that we’d have no clue who he was. I understand the nostalgia but I have no interest in a career back up. 

Might want to watch more of him. 

And as Mknight said, we need a young QB to groom for the future, whether that’s to hopefully be a starter or maybe just a career back up, given the insecurities I have with this QB class - except for Dwayne Haskins - I have no problem with taking a Rypien type this year and a 1st round QB next year that we love more than the guys in this class.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Would you be okay with grabbing him with the 3rd round comp pick? It seems like he's heading up draft boards so a 5th may no longer cut it.

I'm sure I'd be fine with it. It means we actually got a QB - the most important thing.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We could actually use a quality back up.  

This ^^^. Remember folks, if we're tanking this year, we're in line to get the better picks in a year with more quality QBs coming out. We could use a backup now because McCoy is on his way out of football

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Might want to watch more of him. 

And as Mknight said, we need a young QB to groom for the future, whether that’s to hopefully be a starter or maybe just a career back up, given the insecurities I have with this QB class - except for Dwayne Haskins - I have no problem with taking a Rypien type this year and a 1st round QB next year that we love more than the guys in this class.

Completely agree Turtle

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

drafttek.com has the Redskins drafting Brett Rypien going in the 3rd round now. If he’s available there and we haven’t drafted a Qb in round 1 or 2, I hope we snag him there!

https://www.drafttek.com/m/2019-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp

More raising my eyebrows that DraftTek has the first eight picks all being on defense:

1. ARI - EDGE Nick Bosa
  2. SFO - EDGE Josh Allen
  3. NYJ - EDGE Clelin Ferrell
  4. OAK - DL3T Quinnen Williams
  5. TAM - CB Greedy Williams
  6. NYG - ILB Devin White (*sigh*)
  7. JAC - DL3T Ed Oliver
  8. DET - S Deionte Thompson

Thankfully, Murray goes to Cincinnati at 11. Not that happy with them taking Trayvon Mullen at 15 given the writeup(*) on him, but it would be better than taking the guy who has a ripcord out of football (and based on that interview with Dan Patrick, I think he's leaning to out, not in).

(*) 

Here, the Redskins take Trayvon Mullen, a size-speed prospect that struggled at the end of his collegiate career but can still move into RD1 with a great NFL Combine based on his physical prowess.

Not all that hot on a guy who needs a good Combine to get back into the first. Given what was there, I would rather have gone with EDGE Montez Sweat (went to Carolina at 16), or, if I felt like rolling the dice, WRF D.K. Metcalf (went to Tennessee at 19). Most likely, I would probably have gone with Sweat.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

More raising my eyebrows that DraftTek has the first eight picks all being on defense:

1. ARI - EDGE Nick Bosa
  2. SFO - EDGE Josh Allen
  3. NYJ - EDGE Clelin Ferrell
  4. OAK - DL3T Quinnen Williams
  5. TAM - CB Greedy Williams
  6. NYG - ILB Devin White (*sigh*)
  7. JAC - DL3T Ed Oliver
  8. DET - S Deionte Thompson

Thankfully, Murray goes to Cincinnati at 11. Not that happy with them taking Trayvon Mullen at 15 given the writeup(*) on him, but it would be better than taking the guy who has a ripcord out of football (and based on that interview with Dan Patrick, I think he's leaning to out, not in).

(*) 

Not all that hot on a guy who needs a good Combine to get back into the first. Given what was there, I would rather have gone with EDGE Montez Sweat (went to Carolina at 16), or, if I felt like rolling the dice, WRF D.K. Metcalf (went to Tennessee at 19). Most likely, I would probably have gone with Sweat.

Not only that but there’s no way in hell Drew Lock drops to the Giants in the second round. That’s some outrageous wishful thinking. No chance he makes it past the Redskins if he drops. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Not only that but there’s no way in hell Drew Lock drops to the Giants in the second round. That’s some outrageous wishful thinking. No chance he makes it past the Redskins if he drops. 

Broncos are taking Lock, and they probably trade up for him.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Like Gus Ferrotte, Trent Green, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell and Kirk Cousins?

That's kind of a weird list because you left a lot out, and also listed a guy not drafted by the Redskins. Like was this list specificly done for a reason, or did you just list 4 QBs drafted by the Redskins?

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Nothing about Finley excites me and he’s older than most of the other QBs, he’ll be 25 in December.

There’s also the fact that both Brett Rypien and Ryan Finley were at Boise State at the same time in 2015. Rypien was a Freshman and Finley was a redshirt Sophmore. 

Finley initially won the job and Rypien was redshirted.  In the three games, Finley completed 46 of 70 passes for 455 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions, pretty awful. Then, Finley got hurt and Brett Rypien took over and the rest is history. Finley transfered to NC State and was good but not great, while Rypien developed into the better QB at Boise.

I'm surprised you don't like Finley. Dude is about as close to Alex Smith as there is in this draft - without the running ability. 

Archived