Stock Investing

rickyt31

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Glad you're doing well my friend. Been a rough start to 2021 for me. Puts not a smart play when the market is raging 😄

Yes sir... Fcell has been really good to me...

Celsius as well.. And Ark just exploded... It’ll turn around for you. You’re 200 times smarter than me... Once you find your rhythm you’ll be set. How do you feel about recovery stocks(airlines and cruises)? Also, what are your long term holds? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Yes sir... Fcell has been really good to me...

Celsius as well.. And Ark just exploded... It’ll turn around for you. You’re 200 times smarter than me... Once you find your rhythm you’ll be set. How do you feel about recovery stocks(airlines and cruises)? Also, what are your long term holds? 

I'm going to sell a put on BA tomorrow in one of my trading accounts. Saw the DOJ finally fined Boeing and the stock price held up pretty well after hours. Seems like a decent equity to run a wheel trade on. I'll sell a $200 put on it and see if I can acquire the shares. If not...well free money 😎

• Like 1

I wasn’t trading stocks at the beginning of last year, but man, Tesla just seems like it should’ve been such an obvious move. I think 90% of the time I’m dealing with stocks and stocks research, I’m just looking what could’ve been and didn’t happen and sigh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

I'm going to sell a put on BA tomorrow in one of my trading accounts. Saw the DOJ finally fined Boeing and the stock price held up pretty well after hours. Seems like a decent equity to run a wheel trade on. I'll sell a $200 put on it and see if I can acquire the shares. If not...well free money 😎

Pardon me being mentally challenged, but what are puts and how do they enable you to acquire shares?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Pardon me being mentally challenged, but what are puts and how do they enable you to acquire shares?

Puts and Calls are options contracts. I posted some detailed explanations a few pages back. But in a nutshell when you buy them you pay a premieum to in essence control 100 shares of stock. So if you buy an Apple call you can sort of replicate buying 100 shares of Apple depending on which strike you buy. For you to actually buy 100 shares of Apple would cost you $13,200 where as an Apple call would cost you a fraction of that. It allows you to speculate on stocks without having to actually buy the stocks. So you can reap the gains without using all your capital. But options contracts are decaying assets and over time lose time value and are heavily favored to the side of the seller.

Now when you sell a put you are selling your commitment to buy 100 shares of the stock at the strike price you sell. So today I plan on selling a 200 strike put on BA for 1/22/21. In return for this commitment I'll receive premium because my commitment to the buyer of the put means I have to put aside the 20K for his shares. That capital gets locked in my brokerage account and cannot be used as long as the contract is open. Looks like I can probably sell that put for 2.50 so ($250). So in essence the market will pay me $250 to take on 100 shares of BA on 1/22 if the owner of those shares decides to "put to me" the shares. He'll only decide to do this if BA is below $200 on 1/22. If it's still above $200 then the put will expire worthless, I keep the $250 premium and I can sell another put for the next month. Eventually doing this over and over I'll be put 100 shares and then I'll sell covered calls on them. This is called the wheel trade. Sell a cash secured put to acquire shares (market pays me to buy), sell a covered call to sell the shares (market pays me to sell) and I reap the capital gain up to the strike price of the call I sell.

So in theory say I sell the 200 put for $250. I acquire 100 BA shares. I sell a 210 call for $250. BA goes up over $210 my total profit for the trade is $1,000 (capital gain), +$500 in premiums received so $1500. Of course things don't always go that smoothly lol

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Puts and Calls are options contracts. I posted some detailed explanations a few pages back. But in a nutshell when you buy them you pay a premieum to in essence control 100 shares of stock. So if you buy an Apple call you can sort of replicate buying 100 shares of Apple depending on which strike you buy. For you to actually buy 100 shares of Apple would cost you $13,200 where as an Apple call would cost you a fraction of that. It allows you to speculate on stocks without having to actually buy the stocks. So you can reap the gains without using all your capital. But options contracts are decaying assets and over time lose time value and are heavily favored to the side of the seller.

Now when you sell a put you are selling your commitment to buy 100 shares of the stock at the strike price you sell. So today I plan on selling a 200 strike put on BA for 1/22/21. In return for this commitment I'll receive premium because my commitment to the buyer of the put means I have to put aside the 20K for his shares. That capital gets locked in my brokerage account and cannot be used as long as the contract is open. Looks like I can probably sell that put for 2.50 so ($250). So in essence the market will pay me $250 to take on 100 shares of BA on 1/22 if the owner of those shares decides to "put to me" the shares. He'll only decide to do this if BA is below $200 on 1/22. If it's still above $200 then the put will expire worthless, I keep the $250 premium and I can sell another put for the next month. Eventually doing this over and over I'll be put 100 shares and then I'll sell covered calls on them. This is called the wheel trade. Sell a cash secured put to acquire shares (market pays me to buy), sell a covered call to sell the shares (market pays me to sell) and I reap the capital gain up to the strike price of the call I sell.

So in theory say I sell the 200 put for $250. I acquire 100 BA shares. I sell a 210 call for $250. BA goes up over $210 my total profit for the trade is $1,000 (capital gain), +$500 in premiums received so $1500. Of course things don't always go that smoothly lol

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

I’d love to increase my position in NIO but I don’t know if nows the time. Seems like I should wait a bit or try and buy on the dips. $57 right now. 

wonder if NIO will be pretty volatile this next week or so. 

Edited by mattyice0401

Just based on my mentality I don’t think I’m cut out for stock trading. Just in the last week I’m up $500 but I’m driving myself crazy over just one stock (out of my countless currently successful) that I bought at $2.11 that instantly plummeted to $1.64 and doesn’t show signs of coming back up. Looking at you, CHEK. **** you CHEK. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I’d love to increase my position in NIO but I don’t know if nows the time. Seems like I should wait a bit or try and buy on the dips. $57 right now. 

wonder if NIO will be pretty volatile this next week or so. 

I’m gonna quote this post when nio is at $657 

• Like 1