Stock Investing

rickyt31

51 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

$29.90. It's been brutal. 

Was your initial intent to invest or trade it?
Did that short call from Spruce Point change your opinion of the company?

If you're an investor and you still believe in the company after the report. Well then your mentality should be I thought it was a good buy at $30 it's an even greater buy now at $24. And average down.

If you meant to just trade it then you should have had a stop loss either mental or hard in place.

I'm like 90% technical trader and to me the chart looks like it's got some previous consolidation/support around 18-20. That's where I'd look to buy in. But given it's only been trading since Aug/Sep it's hard to say if that support is true or would hold.

- If you have more then 100 shares you could sell some $35 covered calls for June for some decent premium
- You could buy a protective put which will give you cushion if the stock completely tanks
- You could sell half the position and lower your risk

But really it comes down to what your strategy was when you bought the position and if your opinion of the company has changed

11 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Anyone know what time NIO day starts tomorrow in the US? And is there any way we can watch it. Sorta interested in seeing what they have to say.

I’ve been following on stocktwists and so far NIO has been killing it. The cars look amazing, 600 mile battery among other things

• Like 1

Just now, Ty21 said:

I wonder if selling plug at 53 is a good idea 

Why? 

I don't understand this mentality and I just cannot understand it. 

Especially if you've had it for less than a year. 

ESPECIALLY considering I just found out how selling stocks work and I never wanted to pay taxes on my investments so I never sold anything. 

If I had 1,000 dollars invested in Plug and I sold my full investment for 2,000 after holding it for less than a year, I would owe 308 dollars.  If I held it for a year, that drops down to 218 dollars. 

And that's assuming Plug won't go higher if you hold onto it.

I feel like all alternative energy stocks are going to consistently rise over the next four years. 

You have to start thinking like a hippie now. 

Also, why were people talking about Carnival and other cruise lines as some great investment? 

I just started looking into stocks that had been hit hard due to covid to see which ones might be worth getting in on now with the vaccine underway. 

Carnival was falling consistently for months even before covid. 

It was at 49 per share in 1999 and got to an all time high of 71? 

What makes people think that was some insane moneymaker stock? 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, why were people talking about Carnival and other cruise lines as some great investment? 

I just started looking into stocks that had been hit hard due to covid to see which ones might be worth getting in on now with the vaccine underway. 

Carnival was falling consistently for months even before covid. 

It was at 49 per share in 1999 and got to an all time high of 71? 

What makes people think that was some insane moneymaker stock? 

IMO your all inclusive resort movement has started this decline anyway. I agree. Why would I stay on a bot with thousands of people when I could spend about the same or just a little bit more for 20x the experience?

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

I’ve been following on stocktwists and so far NIO has been killing it. The cars look amazing, 600 mile battery among other things

I ended up catching some of it on YouTube woke up at like 4AM and couldn’t fall back asleep and decided to do some digging about found out it was going on then. 

Agreed the cars are bang on, watched a few YT videos to see what they looked like a month or so ago and was instantly sold on that part. 

Their new battery swapping system seems much improved as well. 

Edited by mattyice0401

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why? 

I don't understand this mentality and I just cannot understand it. 

Especially if you've had it for less than a year. 

ESPECIALLY considering I just found out how selling stocks work and I never wanted to pay taxes on my investments so I never sold anything. 

If I had 1,000 dollars invested in Plug and I sold my full investment for 2,000 after holding it for less than a year, I would owe 308 dollars.  If I held it for a year, that drops down to 218 dollars. 

And that's assuming Plug won't go higher if you hold onto it.

I feel like all alternative energy stocks are going to consistently rise over the next four years. 

You have to start thinking like a hippie now. 

Which clean energy stocks are the better ones to get in right now? 

• Like 1