Stock Investing

rickyt31

^ ouch

Think I'm going to start building a position in TLT for the long haul in my investing account. Pays a nice monthly dividend. Sitting around a 5 year low at the moment, and forming a decent looking double bottom. Will dollar cost average into it over the next few months. I'm not huge on treasury/bonds though.

Anyway trying to get in at $114.00. See if it gets down to my price today.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:44 AM, bcb1213 said:

Chances are the drugs they have in their pipelines failed some sort of test/or didn't give great results.  The two I'm watching (though they are much smaller biotechs) are pretty much even today

Could be lots of other reasons for this - anything that causes a delay in results will be a loss, which includes financing availability, recruitment issues, animal procurement/supply chain issues, etc. etc. Also competitor results in the same space. New funding/cash that would accelerate results is a boom, likewise other results that support mechanisms would help even if they aren't directly from the company (this is about the only way I think someone could consistently make money trading pharmaceutical stocks).

If you're going to invest in speculative pharma, and tbh, I'd argue most people shouldn't, target companies with 1-3 drug pipelines that are all variants of the same general idea, with the leading candidate in Phase 1. Done right, those companies should be looking to sell off of a first in human study with positive efficacy biomarkers. Sell upon good data press releases, or if you really want to get cute hold and sell once the company is bought out. 6-18 months ish.

Again, I wouldn't do it, but if I was gonna do it, this is what I'd do.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, Shockwave said:

^ ouch

Think I'm going to start building a position in TLT for the long haul in my investing account. Pays a nice monthly dividend. Sitting around a 5 year low at the moment, and forming a decent looking double bottom. Will dollar cost average into it over the next few months. I'm not huge on treasury/bonds though.

Anyway trying to get in at $114.00. See if it gets down to my price today.

How you doing? Closed at 114.10. Think theres more room to go under that?

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Want some thoughts on Intel. 5.28% drop today. Heres the 1 year data.

ORmtkDi.png

Any idea when this will hit a bottom? I like the semi field. But have stayed clear of Intel. Cause any motion down is always in sizeable chunks.

Not sure what your timeframe is, but it looks good to me as a long-term play. By long-term, I mean years.

It's been an under-performer for a long time, though. I bought it like 20 years ago. It did well, but it was a laggard for too long, so I sold it about 5 years ago. Much of the blame has gone to management. You'd obviously be betting on this newest management team. One consolation as you wait is the dividend.

I'm a buy and hold guy. I don't do any day trading. I will occasionally sell after less than a year, but it's rare. That said, I just bought some Intel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

How you doing? Closed at 114.10. Think theres more room to go under that?

I got in at 114.25 I'm prepared for it to go lower. I'm going to build the position and buy on the dips. Then once I have a few hundred shares will start selling covered calls for premium. Basically create my own dividends on top of the monthly div TLT pays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Not sure what your timeframe is, but it looks good to me as a long-term play. By long-term, I mean years.

It's been an under-performer for a long time, though. I bought it like 20 years ago. It did well, but it was a laggard for too long, so I sold it about 5 years ago. Much of the blame has gone to management. You'd obviously be betting on this newest management team. One consolation as you wait is the dividend.

I'm a buy and hold guy. I don't do any day trading. I will occasionally sell after less than a year, but it's rare. That said, I just bought some Intel.

One thing I saw being tossed around was Taiwan flooding the market with good chips. To where Intel isnt far enough ahead anymore to make them a viable option. Thats a huge bet on the management team in pulling them back ahead to make a true difference and separate them from the pack.