Stock Investing

rickyt31

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think the market will react positively anytime there is NOT new bad news that comes out. Thats the thing about this situation, everything happened so fast that it forced people to react very strongly. So, when there is not bad news over the next 2-3 weeks, the markets should show modest gains or losses. 

If this goes on for longer than that, then eventually the reality of the situation at hand will set in and we could see a sell off. 

If there is no end in sight for these stay at home orders in three weeks, I bet we have another round of stimulus discussion which should help stave off a lot more of that.  Anything that goes beyond that though.....it;s anyone's guess.  

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Someone please remind me five years from now when I call myself a fool for not buying during this time that I was building a house and locked into a 15 year mortgage at 2.62% so that in 2021 I could start aggressively purchasing mutual funds again.

By the time you retire, these gains/losses will be but a blip on the radar.  No worries man.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, N4L said:

If you guys are looking for a logical short term bet that could pay off, I am buying HPQ call options right now with expiration of 5/15. Here is why:

1) HP is a laptop and home printer company. Everyone and their brother is buying printers right now as people are working from home. 

2) they beat earnings estimates when they reported earnings in Feb. Here is what was said at the time (paraphrasing) - "Their lightweight 2-1 laptops are starting to sell better. Their printing business is strong but the long term strength of home printers will diminish over time due to shrinking margins and markets" Obviously I am not betting on the long term viability of the printing business, but rather the short term jump in POs due to the virus. I think its a rather safe bet as far as options trading in this current climate goes.

3) They are going to report earnings sometime between 5/7 and 5/11. I want to have an expiration date beyond this point (5/15) to capture the positive news that will come out because LIS, they are undoubtedly seeing a HUGE influx of purchase orders due to the majority of workers being forced to work from home. The fact they reported positive earnings right before the virus hit is a big plus for me as far as timing goes. We are going to get the full run of the increased orders from now until mid-may in this singular earnings report. I also think by then people will realize that tech is one of the best places to have your money right now because they have tons of cash and can continue to operate a portion of their business. 

I am buying a few different contracts at different strike prices. I just bought some at 14 for $1.87 per share. The current stock price is 13.80 or so. HOPEFULLY by mid may we are starting to get some really good news and then they report very strong printer sales to ride the wave to 16 at least. 

What do you guys think? options trading can be very profitable in times of high volatility. I own a lot of mutual funds as well as a fair amount of long term growth stocks (small mid cap technology companies) but since there are no sports I figured I can use my allocated sports betting money on options trading LOL 

On 3/24/2020 at 9:17 AM, N4L said:

Soooo my hpq options are up 50% today. I bought them yesterday. Should I sell them now and then wait for the market to inevitably dip again? 

Not that anyone cares, but I bought 4 contracts with a few different strike prices when the stock was around 14 on 3/23. I sold 2 of them on monday 3/30 when the stock price when up to 17.30. Basically cashed out for all of the money I invested plus $100 and still had half of my options. Today the stock is back at 15. I am going to buy back with all of what I pulled out a few days ago with expiration date of 6/19. Ive seen conflicting earnings dates for them. some sites had 5/11, another said 5/24. I want to be firmly after that and for some reason I dont see 6/1 expiration. I am going to turn my 4 contracts into 7-8 contracts. 

Hopefully they crush earnings. I really think it makes sense. I am trying to be very patient, which is why I am buying options with expiration a few months away. So far, so good. 

Also, I have noticed a trend recently, Fridays are bad days. Mondays are good. I think some of the big players are hedging against bad news coming out over the weekend that they cannot react to immediately. Then, when nothing bad happens, they buy back in on Monday. 

So, I am being patient waiting for the right option price

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, N4L said:

Also, I have noticed a trend recently, Fridays are bad days. Mondays are good. I think some of the big players are hedging against bad news coming out over the weekend that they cannot react to immediately. Then, when nothing bad happens, they buy back in on Monday. 

So, I am being patient waiting for the right option price

I think that was a trend with Bitcoin as well a while back, but one of those guys would have to confirm.

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think that was a trend with Bitcoin as well a while back, but one of those guys would have to confirm.

"Have you heard of Bitcoin? Yeah...that was me." - a guy in a costa rican bar last year trying to hit on two girls next to me

I'll ask him.

• Like 2