Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

3 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I believe his body finally just wore down. No QB was sacked more than he was in that 4 year span.

I definitely don't want this to come off as a slight against Marcus, because I want him to be our guy long term more than anything, but I am somewhat curious how Tannehill could fare with a better team around him here than he ever had in Miami. If Marcus were to go down theoretically how do we see Tannehill performing? With a better OLine, run game, receiver group, and defense than he ever had the luxury of having in Miami, I'm curious to see how he'd do. Obviously I hope for the sake of our team and Marcus that we never have to find out, but in a doomsday type of scenario where Marcus goes down again there's a part of me that could see Ryan really thriving here  Obviously I don't really know the ins and outs of why Tannehill didn't work out in Miami. I've always felt he was a talented player when I've been able to watch him, but from an outsider's perspective it felt like his injuries and the overall lack of help around him were the biggest contributing factors to his downfall there.

5 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

I definitely don't want this to come off as a slight against Marcus, because I want him to be our guy long term more than anything, but I am somewhat curious how Tannehill could fare with a better team around him here than he ever had in Miami. If Marcus were to go down theoretically how do we see Tannehill performing? With a better OLine, run game, receiver group, and defense than he ever had the luxury of having in Miami, I'm curious to see how he'd do. Obviously I hope for the sake of our team and Marcus that we never have to find out, but in a doomsday type of scenario where Marcus goes down again there's a part of me that could see Ryan really thriving here  Obviously I don't really know the ins and outs of why Tannehill didn't work out in Miami. I've always felt he was a talented player when I've been able to watch him, but from an outsider's perspective it felt like his injuries and the overall lack of help around him were the biggest contributing factors to his downfall there.

It's okay to say it. I've said it before. If Marcus doesn't work out here, we have as good (and likely cheap) of a stop gap option as we're ever going to find in Tannehill. I don't believe for a second that the Titans' brass didn't have that in mind when they brought him in, even on a 1-year deal. Robinson knows this is a game of chess, and I firmly believe he's trying to stay two moves ahead. I think they definitely hope Marcus pans out as well, but with the way Robinson operates, the organization probably already has a plan for LAM (life after Mariota) if and when it happens.  

8 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

Depends on what you want from your QB.  
I think there are a lot worse options than Tannehill, but also better avenues to take as well.  
I feel with Tannehill, we'd be in the same boat maybe better, maybe worst as Marcus.  A QB that any given year he will give you 3500-3900 passing, 20-28 TDs/10-15 INTs.

it will be a lot more dependent on the team around him. But Tannehill's narrative is close to Marcus. Players around him, changing of coaches, and injuries. I think we've seen better moments from Marcus but overall play, you can say they've been close to similar.  With Marcus having the edge by decent but not wide margin.

So if Tannehill ends up being our QB, I don't think we'd automatically be viewed as a great team. We'd still have a question mark at QB.

Man does our offense look abysmal. How in the world does our coaching staff feel confident going into the season with the way Mariota has been playing . He looks awful and tonight was another example of that , 3 drives , zero yards and a safety lol. I get our line is trash but so is Seattle’s and the Texans , the big difference is there QBs get the ball out and make plays , our QBs legs buckle and he gets sack time and time again. His pocket presence is atrocious , absolutely atrocious . Like I said before the more he craps the bed the more people will be talking, last nights game on national television had the commentators  trashing Mariota. His time is coming to a close , the writing is on the wall, and it’s only a matter of time before he’s holding a clip board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Man does our offense look abysmal. How in the world does our coaching staff feel confident going into the season with the way Mariota has been playing . He looks awful and tonight was another example of that , 3 drives , zero yards and a safety lol. I get our line is trash but so is Seattle’s and the Texans , the big difference is there QBs get the ball out and make plays , our QBs legs buckle and he gets sack time and time again. His pocket presence is atrocious , absolutely atrocious . Like I said before the more he craps the bed the more people will be talking, last nights game on national television had the commentators  trashing Mariota. His time is coming to a close , the writing is on the wall, and it’s only a matter of time before he’s holding a clip board. 

We really haven’t shown our offense it’s been pretty vanilla but I see your point with Mariota he doesn’t have a feel for the pocket especially playing under center He plays better up tempo operating in the gun. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll finally say it...it's games like this where I see the other POV more clearly. I'm not sure what happened to him in that second half, because in the first he was unspectacular but efficient, but Mariota hurt us today. This loss is definitely not all his fault, but we need our quarterback to keep us above water in that type of game

46 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'll finally say it...it's games like this where I see the other POV more clearly. I'm not sure what happened to him in that second half, because in the first he was unspectacular but efficient, but Mariota hurt us today. This loss is definitely not all his fault, but we need our quarterback to keep us above water in that type of game

Agreed.  He was super efficient at first (I think the stat line was 16 of 19 at first), but then he just fell apart at the end, making bad throw after bad throw.

That and he took sacks when he really should have been able to get rid of the ball.  Which is something he's been bad at since he was drafted, so I don't expect that to improve.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

This is wild to look back on and honestly kind of sad for me. I remember most people being split here, but I really truly believed that Marcus was going to be a really special QB leading up to that draft, and then when it actually became a possibility that we could land him I was more excited for this Franchise than I've been in a long time. Saw a similar guy to the guy I saw in college the first two years here, and ever since he just hasn't been that guy for one reason or another. We've beaten the horse to death on what he is or isn't as a player. I've slowly started to believe less and less that he's going to be the guy here long term especially after this Colts game, but ultimately, it just makes me sad. I have his jersey, have always loved him as a person, and he was electrifying as a player for a few years there. Really thought he was going to be a special QB for us for a long time, but seeing less and less of that "magic" he had at Oregon over the last few years has been really disheartening to watch. 

• Like 1

You know it’s easy to come back here and say “I told you so” , but as a Titan fan im more upset then anything that we’re back in this position. Feels like the fisher years where 8-8 and 9-7 was the norm , we had a top defense , nice running game but bad qb play holds us back.  To be honest I’m sick right now thinking where this team will be in 5 years. The talent on this team is too rich to tank, even with a terrible qb were a 6 win team which puts us out of the top QB talk in the draft. We’re in QB purgatory once again but this time we’re too good to get a top talent in the draft. It’s upsetting 

Tannehill is more interception prone, but if he has a better arm and is willing to throw the ball downfield I would put him in. Our defense is good enough to overcome a couple turnovers and the risk is worth the reward if Tannehill is able to keep the defense honest.