Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

21 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Tbh our special teams played damn good today until that fumble by Ty

Not really. Scott had a terrible 20 yard punt at the end when they really needed a boomer. And they could have fielded the earlier punt that was downed at the goal line.

Rob DemovskyESPN Staff Writer 

Ty Montgomery said he's always told to keep kickoffs in the end zone but he was worried he might be too close to the goal line. He admitted it was a mistake but clearly wasn't happy that a teammate or teammates were quoted anonymously insinuating that he was selfish.

44 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

One option that hasn't been considered:

Fire MM and use pettine as interim HC.  Philbin is OC but Rodgers calls the passing plays and run checks.  Philbin helps with game plan, etc.

Basically it's the Peyton manning offense.  Give Aaron total control.

I can't think of a worse idea that giving any player that kind of power. If you do, that's the beginning of the end.

Pettine though I would be ok with. Aaron does have high praise for him. But let Rodgers play and the coaches coach.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Ty Montgomery said he's always told to keep kickoffs in the end zone but he was worried he might be too close to the goal line. He admitted it was a mistake but clearly wasn't happy that a teammate or teammates were quoted anonymously insinuating that he was selfish.

Which might be the most reasoned take in this whole thing.

Feel for the guy. Hope this doesn't split the locker room.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which might be the most reasoned take in this whole thing.

Feel for the guy. Hope this doesn't split the locker room.

Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky

Ty Montgomery also admitted he was frustrated when he came off the field during the last series and is unsure of his role on the team but was adamant that it did not impact his decision the bring the kickoff out of the end zone. https://es.pn/2zbHjkx

Also quite possible Ty let his frustrations get the best of him and, after being able to collect his thoughts after avoiding the press last evening, is rationalizing a truly stupid decision to return the kickoff.

9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So take half a second and look down at your feet.
My goodness.

2 minutes ago, Dsibly said:

Not really. Scott had a terrible 20 yard punt at the end when they really needed a boomer. And they could have fielded the earlier punt that was downed at the goal line.

And the STs somehow were unaware that Rams' Punter Johnny Hekker is well known for throwing the ball to try and generate first downs (he did exactly that from almost that same spot just a few weeks ago against the Vikings), or Kevin KIng f'ed up.

When the best you are hoping for from your special teams is that they do not screw up, you have a special teams problem.

52 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

One option that hasn't been considered:

Fire MM and use pettine as interim HC.  Philbin is OC but Rodgers calls the passing plays and run checks.  Philbin helps with game plan, etc.

Basically it's the Peyton manning offense.  Give Aaron total control.

Yes, this option has been discussed ad nausem in other threads.  Some want to steal the young 40 year old offensive coordinator, John DeFillipo from the Vikings, who used to work under Pettine in 2015 at Cleveland.  I wonder if that would be weird for both of them (Pettine and DeFelippo), working together again but this time with the roles reversed?  I know they're friends, and I'm sure this scenario has happened before, but it's an interesting dynamic for sure.  If DeFelippo ends up being similar to McVay, it could be cool - and it would pi$$ off Vikings fans, which would also be kinda fun.

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I hope it wasn’t an act of selfishness. Either way, I don’t feel bad for him. He made the decision and he has to live with it. I do worry about the locker room. 

It seems he returns a lot of kicks for someone that's not supposed to return any .... allegedly. Any stats on that ? Returning from the end zone ?

At first I thought his momentum was taking him pretty close to the goal line but when I re-watched it, I'm gonna call his bluff. It wasn't that close at all and it was a clean catch. He could have stayed put pretty easily IMO. Call it adrenaline, call it wanting to make a play, but don't say it was too close to the goal line

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It seems he returns a lot of kicks for someone that's not supposed to return any .... allegedly. Any stats on that ? Returning from the end zone ?

At first I thought his momentum was taking him pretty close to the goal line but when I re-watched it, I'm gonna call his bluff. It wasn't that close at all and it was a clean catch. He could have stayed put pretty easily IMO. Call it adrenaline, call it wanting to make a play, but don't say it was too close to the goal line

Seems like an awfully "convenient" explanation to me as well.

The current rule in the NFL is that if the ball lands in the end zone, it is an automatic touchback.  You don't have to even catch the ball AT ALL.

You can simply let it hit the ground anywhere in the EZ, similar to a punt.

Perhaps Montgomery should be taught that.

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The current rule in the NFL is that if the ball lands in the end zone, it is an automatic touchback.  You don't have to even catch the ball AT ALL.

You can simply let it hit the ground anywhere in the EZ, similar to a punt.

Perhaps Montgomery should be taught that.

wait, it is? 

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

wait, it is? 

Yeah.

Of course in the field of play it is a live ball, but once it goes into the ez it's an auto touchback unless a player returns it.

A touchback is also called if the player catches it and makes no effort to advance, so you can't really slow roll it either.

No need to kneel

If a ball gets to the end zone and touches the ground, it’s an automatic touchback. There’s no need for a player to pick it up and kneel, or even catch a ball if it’s headed for the end zone and they don’t intend to return it.

This is a small time saver, but the goal is to blow a play dead earlier so that unnecessary collisions don’t happen. Under the previous rules, a player could take their time gathering a ball and kneeling while the coverage team and return team blockers still careened toward each other for no reason.

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The current rule in the NFL is that if the ball lands in the end zone, it is an automatic touchback.  You don't have to even catch the ball AT ALL. You can simply let it hit the ground anywhere in the EZ, similar to a punt.

Correct. Its so much a "non-issue" that its to the point of stupidity to discuss how Montgomery could/should have played it. If he was told not to run it out (as I suspect he was) all he had to do is insure it reached (hit in) the end zone. Done. That was it. Simply let it hit and walk away. Didnt need to even go near it.

Archived