Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:
40 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Is that still a viable strategy with Donald/Suh manning the middle of the Rams DL ?

Absolutely.  With Jones.  We'll try it three times with Williams and Montgomery.  Montgomery will get hurt, Williams will get negative three yards and then we'll never do it again. 

I really want to disagree with you like usual but I just can't. lmao. This is so accurate 

13 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

You should at this point.

Packers got a number of productive players with mid round picks- Tretter, Hyde, Heyward- it becomes hard to keep them as they mature due to the salary cap.  The guys that make your team really tough though are the guys like Donald, Goff, Gurley.  They were drafted a point in the draft that Rams won't see again for years if you are lucky.  

Eventually when you have lived through it for a while, you will understand- You will have a very good team for a long time, but the loaded team you have now is something that comes rarely, and the Packers haven't seen since the 96- 97 seasons.  The opportunity to win will be there as long as Goff plays well, but the overwhelming dominance is unique and limited.

Those are the best players on our team. However, two of those three are already locked up for the foreseeable future. The third will be locked up when the time comes. Meanwhile, the other strong pieces on our team came through FA, trades, or lesser draft picks.

The Sam Shields Story - from The Players Tribune

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/sam-shields-rams

It was three o’clock in the morning on some night in January 2017. I forget which one. I’d had a lot of bad nights around that time, but this one was the worst. I couldn’t sleep. It felt like my brain was cramping, or like it was trying to break out of my skull or something. I was rolling around in my bed, whipping my body back and forth, trying to escape the pounding inside my head.

Next thing I know, I’m curled up in the fetal position, shaking and crying.

I had spent the previous couple of months literally living in the dark, sitting inside my house in Sarasota, Florida, with the curtains closed because I couldn’t handle the sunlight. Anything in the house that lit up was turned off. I couldn’t look at my phone for more than a few seconds. And forget about watching TV.
I tried listening to music, but sound had the same effect. I even tried turning the bass down — I went straight treble — and I still couldn’t handle it.

You ever sit alone, in silence, in the dark, for weeks at a time, where all your mind can do is wander and think whatever it wants?

Believe me, you’ll think up some scary ****.

I was thinking about how maybe this was gonna be my life now.
This was it. It would just be me, in the darkness, trapped inside my own head … forever.

47 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Those are the best players on our team. However, two of those three are already locked up for the foreseeable future. The third will be locked up when the time comes. Meanwhile, the other strong pieces on our team came through FA, trades, or lesser draft picks.

It's not that you will lose those guys. You won't. But their contracts will make it harder to improve other areas of your roster.

59 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It was three o’clock in the morning on some night in January 2017. I forget which one. I’d had a lot of bad nights around that time, but this one was the worst. I couldn’t sleep. It felt like my brain was cramping, or like it was trying to break out of my skull or something. I was rolling around in my bed, whipping my body back and forth, trying to escape the pounding inside my head.

I had spent the previous couple of months literally living in the dark, sitting inside my house in Sarasota, Florida, with the curtains closed because I couldn’t handle the sunlight. Anything in the house that lit up was turned off. I couldn’t look at my phone for more than a few seconds. And forget about watching TV.
I tried listening to music, but sound had the same effect. I even tried turning the bass down — I went straight treble — and I still couldn’t handle it.

You ever sit alone, in silence, in the dark, for weeks at a time, where all your mind can do is wander and think whatever it wants?

This was it. It would just be me, in the darkness, trapped inside my own head … forever.

That's some crazy ****. I hope he stay manages to stay healthy for however long his career lasts.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I would have never started playing again. Idc what any doctor said about clearing me. Screw that. I hope Shields is able to stay healthy. As a grown man, I respect he had a decision to make. Me personally, I’m not taking the risk of having that happen again. 

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

It's not that you will lose those guys. You won't. But their contracts will make it harder to improve other areas of your roster.

Plus, as numerous 'young and primed to repeat' teams show, even with a mostly intact roster returning there's no telling how quickly things turn. It's really hard to capitalize on that Super Bowl window because of the sheer number of things that need to go right and can go wrong at any given moment in the NFL.

There's a reason the Patriots have been the most consistent Super Bowl contender the past two decades. Yes, the Giants, Steelers, and Seahawks are there too, but they've been mighty swingy.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Which is why we will have to rely on drafting and coaching.

but your team doesn't believe in draft picks holding value. So you will just trade all of them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing lol

Just now, JBURGE said:

but your team doesn't believe in draft picks holding value. So you will just trade all of them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing lol

Eh, I doubt it. We're going for broke now while Goff is on his rookie deal. I see us being less willing to do that once he gets paid.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Seahawks also started drafting terribly and trading premium picks for veterans who didn't really pan out. We've tended to draft really well of late. If our drafting falls apart, I think you'll be right. Frankly, I think we have to find a way to hold onto Aaron Kromer. He's been able to plug in guys who were thought of as JAGs and get very good play out of them (case in point, Austin Blythe).

Go check the Seahawks' drafts from 2010-12 and compare it from then.  The Seahawks were drafting at an incredibly high rate, and then their luck ran out.  That's bound to happen.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Go check the Seahawks' drafts from 2010-12 and compare it from then.  The Seahawks were drafting at an incredibly high rate, and then their luck ran out.  That's bound to happen.

That's why I threw an if in there. However, it's not like the Seahawks are the only NFL team. The Steelers have managed to stay relevant for a very long time.

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's why I threw an if in there. However, it's not like the Seahawks are the only NFL team. The Steelers have managed to stay relevant for a very long time.

I mean, find me a team aside from New England that has had the sustained success of winning double digit games year after year over an extended period?  It just doesn't happen.  Going back to 2010, they've got two seasons in which they didn't win double-digit games and only twice did they not have to play in Wild Card weekend.  Over that same period, New England hasn't once played on Wild Card weekend.  What New England is doing isn't sustainable, and quite frankly it defies logic.  New England hasn't missed the playoffs since 2008, and they've twice since 2000.  There isn't a team that has that kind of success.  Pittsburgh has missed the playoffs three times since 2008, and the Packers have missed it once over that same period.  What do those 3 teams have in common?  A franchise QB.  When you have a franchise QB, you're going to be relevant.  If you put together a halfway decent team, you're going to be in the playoff mix.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think anyone is saying the Rams won't be relevant.  As good as Goff looks, the Rams should be relevant for a long time.  You guys appear to have found a QB, and that is key for any team.

Right now the Rams are at that sweet spot of having a relatively inexpensive franchise quality QB and a complete team around him, making them a phenomenal, dominant team.  That will likely change as the QB expense comes up and the draft position has been later for a few years.   

I think that is all people are saying.

Archived