Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

My expectation is that Packer fan will be observant enough to realize that McCarthy doesn't have a room temperature football IQ and is actually pretty damn good as an offensive mind. The man isn't Jeff Fisher.

His role in designing the prototypical "modern NFL offense" is extremely underrated by Packer fans. When every NFL coach is complimentary of McCarthy, it probably means something.

Yes, Mac's peers would know more than any of us on this forum.

19 hours ago, Leader said:

Bite your tongue! Orrrrrrr.....clean off your keyboard!  LOL

There is a reason why the Rams are favored in this game = they are at home, 7-0 and have been playing very well.  We could play lights out and win the game so ya never know but any neutral observer would pick the Rams to win this one.

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

My expectation is that Packer fan will be observant enough to realize that McCarthy doesn't have a room temperature football IQ and is actually pretty damn good as an offensive mind. The man isn't Jeff Fisher.

His role in designing the prototypical "modern NFL offense" is extremely underrated by Packer fans. When every NFL coach is complimentary of McCarthy, it probably means something.

Give McCarthy a RB that produces 2000 yds of offense per year and can pass block like McVey has and this board is having a different conversation.

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I think all coaches steal plays from their peers.  Isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery?

Yes and MM has been making good offences since his days with the Saints and cheifs. MM has had some great success with mediocre QBs also in his past. I’m sure he took ideas from other coaches and the cycle continues with him now  

He may be more stubborn then he used to be but advisercity may force his hand again like it has in the past. 

On 10/23/2018 at 12:07 PM, cannondale said:

I see McCarthy's main problem as pride, rather than intelligence. He still thinks his offensive system is superior, when the league has caught up with it.  I don't know how many games we're going to have see them throw into predominantly cover 2, cover 3, cover 4 and cover 6 looks.  

I don't know if his system is passe and the league has caught up with it.  I think his peers figured out what he does a long time ago.   The main reason IMO of why his offenses aren't explosive goes back to the players and their EXECUTION of the plays.  No coach is gonna suggest a play he feels is a loser and won't work.  The plays will work if players don't hold, miss blocks or drop passes.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I don't know if his system is passe and the league has caught up with it.  I think his peers figured out what he does a long time ago.   The main reason IMO of why his offenses aren't explosive goes back to the players and their EXECUTION of the plays.  No coach is gonna suggest a play he feels is a loser and won't work.  The plays will work if players don't hold, miss blocks or drop passes.

That's correct, execution is vital in any system. However, I wonder at what point the system itself comes under scrutiny. If we take execution to be the main factor of a successful system than literally anyone can install any system, thereby rendering a system meaningless.

Is that the case? Honestly asking your opinion here.

39 minutes ago, Howler said:

I see McCarthy's main problem as pride, rather than intelligence. He still thinks his offensive system is superior, when the league has caught up with it.  I don't know how many games we're going to have see them throw into predominantly cover 2, cover 3, cover 4 and cover 6 looks.  

Head coaches have some of the biggest egos. They have to. I don't know if we'll ever know exactly what his thinking is. I know he talks about explosive plays a ton, so I don't know if he tries to force those to happen too much ? The one thing I loved about Holmgren is that there were always 10 or 15 basic west coast system plays that he would go to if things were going bad to help jumpstart Favre and the offense. Slants, that drag route to the fullback that always got 8 yards etc. MM came from the K.C. version of the west coast system, which I think abandoned some of the nuts and bolts that made that system so successful IMO. Holmgren also used the run to set up the pass, and vice versa, which we absolutely never do.

I think MM has allowed himself to get stale. The, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is a dangerous thing. I don't know if it's broke, but I think it has eroded over time.

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Head coaches have some of the biggest egos. They have to. I don't know if we'll ever know exactly what his thinking is. I know he talks about explosive plays a ton, so I don't know if he tries to force those to happen too much ? The one thing I loved about Holmgren is that there were always 10 or 15 basic west coast system plays that he would go to if things were going bad to help jumpstart Favre and the offense. Slants, that drag route to the fullback that always got 8 yards etc. MM came from the K.C. version of the west coast system, which I think abandoned some of the nuts and bolts that made that system so successful IMO. Holmgren also used the run to set up the pass, and vice versa, which we absolutely never do.

I think MM has allowed himself to get stale. The, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is a dangerous thing. I don't know if it's broke, but I think it has eroded over time.

McCarthy has a bit of Andy Reid to him, in that he's almost addicted to the big play nature of the forward pass, even if the opposition front is vulnerable to a 'run play.' 

Well, I've done what I can do for this game.

I believe there is no way they can win.  Rams are superior in every facet of the game.  Players, scheme, coaches, venue...etc.

I've gone so far to install Goff, Gurley, Cooks and the Rams D on my fanduel team with my co-workers.

I've made arrangements to fish during the game and I'm not DVRing the game.

That's about the best I can do.

Archived