Week 8 GDT - Green Bay (3-2-1) @ Los Angeles Rams (7-0)

Leader

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Go check the Seahawks' drafts from 2010-12 and compare it from then.  The Seahawks were drafting at an incredibly high rate, and then their luck ran out.  That's bound to happen.

The article I read about the Seahawks said that Pete Carroll had really good intel on the college prospects from his time at USC. ( 2001-2009)
And once those kids graduated and he was disconnected from that inside intel - that's when the Seahawks drafting "luck" ran  out.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The article I read about the Seahawks said that Pete Carroll had really good intel on the college prospects from his time at USC. ( 2001-2009)
And once those kids graduated and he was disconnected from that inside intel - that's when the Seahawks drafting "luck" ran  out.

Maybe.  From my understanding, the way the Seahawks FO structure works is that Schneider essentially does all the legwork and Carroll has final say.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, find me a team aside from New England that has had the sustained success of winning double digit games year after year over an extended period?  It just doesn't happen.  Going back to 2010, they've got two seasons in which they didn't win double-digit games and only twice did they not have to play in Wild Card weekend.  Over that same period, New England hasn't once played on Wild Card weekend.  What New England is doing isn't sustainable, and quite frankly it defies logic.  New England hasn't missed the playoffs since 2008, and they've twice since 2000.  There isn't a team that has that kind of success.  Pittsburgh has missed the playoffs three times since 2008, and the Packers have missed it once over that same period.  What do those 3 teams have in common?  A franchise QB.  When you have a franchise QB, you're going to be relevant.  If you put together a halfway decent team, you're going to be in the playoff mix.

Okay. I didn't claim we were the Patriots. I only claimed that I think we can manage to remain a contender after Goff gets a new deal. That doesn't guarantee a Super Bowl every year. With McVay and Goff, I feel good about our future.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't think anyone is saying the Rams won't be relevant.  As good as Goff looks, the Rams should be relevant for a long time.  You guys appear to have found a QB, and that is key for any team.

Right now the Rams are at that sweet spot of having a relatively inexpensive franchise quality QB and a complete team around him, making them a phenomenal, dominant team.  That will likely change as the QB expense comes up and the draft position has been later for a few years.   

I think that is all people are saying.

I mainly agree.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

No way.  Sherman was a 5th rounder, Chancellor was a 5th rounder, Wilson was a 3rd rounder, Bobby Wagner was drafted at the end of the second round.  Teams passed on all of those guys numerous times.  There's no way anyone would have thought any of those guys would have turned into the players they became or else they all would have been very high picks in the 1st round.

What intel did anyone have that told them that Richard Sherman would be an elite CB as a 5th round draft pick?  What intel did Carroll have that told him Bobby Wagner would be one of the best linebackers in the league?  That Russell Wilson was going to be an awesome franchise caliber QB?  That Kam Chancellor would be a damn good SS?

I expect Green Bay to dial up a lot of blitzes and put some heavy pressure on Jared Goff.  It still remains to be seen if he can take an absolute beating and still stand tall in the pocket.  The Packers have the ability to shootout with the Rams just because their defense will give up yards and points. 

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

No way.  Sherman was a 5th rounder, Chancellor was a 5th rounder, Wilson was a 3rd rounder, Bobby Wagner was drafted at the end of the second round.  Teams passed on all of those guys numerous times.  There's no way anyone would have thought any of those guys would have turned into the players they became or else they all would have been very high picks in the 1st round.

What intel did anyone have that told them that Richard Sherman would be an elite CB as a 5th round draft pick?  What intel did Carroll have that told him Bobby Wagner would be one of the best linebackers in the league?  That Russell Wilson was going to be an awesome franchise caliber QB?  That Kam Chancellor would be a damn good SS?

What are you actually arguing here ?

Just now, incognito_man said:

So you're arguing that your team didn't like the players they draft more than all the other teams liked them? 

Who knows?  Sherman was a 5th rounder.  It's not like he was all that liked by anyone.  He was a fairly poorly rated prospect coming out of Stanford by most people.  Tall and lanky, stiff, not fast enough, hips too stiff, etc.  The article stated that Carroll had intel on these prospects because he coached at USC. 

Too bad that 'intel' didn't lead to him drafting any great offensive lineman =)

53 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya that’s what I meant. No way could I put him up anywhere near my top 5 favorite. But to each his own.

well Chuck Cecil is my number 1, so indeed each their own.

shields has a nice underdog story so its easy to see

Archived