2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

On 3/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, YogiBiz said:

Burns' football IQ jumps off the tape IMO. Plus his hands aren't "strong" per say, like he isn't going to win with just pushing people out of the way, but he has elite hand placement and always has his hands on the opposition's weak point. Also he's scary good at controlling the pocket and creating phantom pressure. And he hits people with authority, so I don't see the "no power", but I wish he was stronger. He also disengages blocks better than anyone in this class. He is super fluid and plays flat zones well enough to make you think with more coaching he could be great in zone. He also creates a ton of forced fumbles, but it won't be from just hit sticking people. I think he looked insanely good even with the added weight, and if he can add another 5-8 lbs he could be a scary good 3-4 OLB. I feel like Burns and Sweat could be interchangeable for different reasons and you can't go wrong with either, but they're def a class below Allen. 

The only good part of the OBJ trade is that one of these two will be there around 17, so DG better take one. 

If Burns was even average at translating speed to power, I would put him above Bosa & easily over every other EDGE & this class. I think he’s going to be special.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't get the Rashan Gary thing at all.

It's the 40 time.  We all know it's the 40 time.

I mean, I saw plenty of mocks with him in the first before the combine, but freaky athletes always get a crazy boost right after the Combine til stuff calms back down.  Just look how many mocks had DK Metcalf going in the top half the week after the combine, and he's terrible.

18 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Damn sure. He's a beast. A real technician with a motor and jarring power. His tape is phenomenal and he's won inside and out in college against high level competition. I have Oliver ahead of him, but it's by literally the smallest of margins. Bosa is an elite defensive talent in any draft class. I don't really have anything bad to say about Bosa other than the fact that he doesn't bend and rip like Garrett or Von, but it's not devoid from his game either. He's better than Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams for sure IMO.

Agree with your take on Bosa but surprised a little that you've got Oliver ahead of him, I like Oliver too but curious why you'd have him ahead of Bosa and not maybe Williams?

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's the 40 time.  We all know it's the 40 time.

I mean, I saw plenty of mocks with him in the first before the combine, but freaky athletes always get a crazy boost right after the Combine til stuff calms back down.  Just look how many mocks had DK Metcalf going in the top half the week after the combine, and he's terrible.

Metcalf's freaky speed actually translates to what you can see on tape though.  The question is really...whether he's anything more than a big body downfield speedy guy, and actually a stud receiver everywhere else or not.

With Gary it's like...cool...he ran fast.  How does that translate to what's on tape?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Metcalf's freaky speed actually translates to what you can see on tape though.  The question is really...whether he's anything more than a big body downfield speedy guy, and actually a stud receiver everywhere else or not.

With Gary it's like...cool...he ran fast.  How does that translate to what's on tape?

That's ridiculous. I have Gary lower than most, but its technique and bend that are the issue. He shows elite speed and burst plenty on tape. 

27 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

That's ridiculous. I have Gary lower than most, but its technique and bend that are the issue. He shows elite speed and burst plenty on tape. 

How does that translate though?  It's as a 3T Projection.  Like i said in a previous post.

That's fine.  But why gamble on a guy like Gary as a 3T projection, when you've got a guy like Oliver who is a proven stud as an interior disruptive presence?  Why is the hype so lopsided?

46 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Not very well if you watch his tape

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

How does that translate though?  It's as a 3T Projection.  Like i said in a previous post.

That's fine.  But why gamble on a guy like Gary as a 3T projection, when you've got a guy like Oliver who is a proven stud as an interior disruptive presence?  Why is the hype so lopsided?

I think he's got the upside of a Cameron Jordan type, maybe a Michael Bennett who plays LDE but slides inside a lot. He certainly gets some extra hype for the athleticism. I have Oliver ahead of him fwiw. Oliver is a truly elite defensive prospect, though just behind Bosa and Q IMO. I have him ahead of Allen though. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

My problem in projecting Brian Burns is coming up with top edge rushers who lack a power game. Even the guys known for speed have some power counters.

Burns is like a Beasley or Floyd. I think he'll be ok and do a lot of things well on a football field, but I think he'll struggle to dominate as a pass rusher and thus won't quite have that elite value. I like him in the 11-20 range just fine, but he's not a top ten guy ideally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

Burns is like a Beasley or Floyd. I think he'll be ok and do a lot of things well on a football field, but I think he'll struggle to dominate as a pass rusher and thus won't quite have that elite value. I like him in the 11-20 range just fine, but he's not a top ten guy ideally. 

I could totally see Leonard Floyd. Nothing wrong with that, but in this EDGE class, I wouldn't take that guy that high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I agree with @Tugboat  The tape is the key for any of these picks.  If you change your draft just on the combine 40 times your are an idiot.  At best the combine might make you go back and look at the tape again.

So do I, tape is god, but we ought to know how badly people get caught up in Combine numbers.  I think Metcalf is just the best example because he wasn't sniffing the first round in any mock I saw until after the Combine, when suddenly he's being put in the top 10.  And his tape sucks, other than yes he's fast.  He didn't even drill well, but people just looked at those numbers and said "Holy crap, let's 90's Raiders the hell out of this thing TOP 10 OMG!!"

I think Gary is the same.  He was in a lot of first round mocks, then blew up measurables, and elite athleticism oversells every year.

I think Gary's athleticism translates to the tape as well, which is a bit of a problem.  It seems like when he gets behind the line, he does it with either a straight bull rush or beats them with speed on the edge.  Either way, he wins with athleticism, which he can't do at the next level.

I'd still take him at 19 all day though.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So do I, tape is god, but we ought to know how badly people get caught up in Combine numbers.  I think Metcalf is just the best example because he wasn't sniffing the first round in any mock I saw until after the Combine, when suddenly he's being put in the top 10.  And his tape sucks, other than yes he's fast.  He didn't even drill well, but people just looked at those numbers and said "Holy crap, let's 90's Raiders the hell out of this thing TOP 10 OMG!!"

I think Gary is the same.  He was in a lot of first round mocks, then blew up measurables, and elite athleticism oversells every year.

I think Gary's athleticism translates to the tape as well, which is a bit of a problem.  It seems like when he gets behind the line, he does it with either a straight bull rush or beats them with speed on the edge.  Either way, he wins with athleticism, which he can't do at the next level.

I'd still take him at 19 all day though.

Yeah, that was not what I saw.