2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

22 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I wouldn't worry one bit about production with Gary, look at the traits. Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in 3 years at LSU. He has the size, has really good technique, good football I.Q, and will probably put up elite numbers in key categories 3 cone, broad jump, 10 yard split. 

If the numbers Michigan posted about him from spring testing are legit and not a result of Greg Mattison/Kevin Tolbert/some GA not knowing how to use a stopwatch, then he'll be elite in every category. Gary is very underrated against the run. People don't realize how much responsibility the "Anchor" position in Don Brown's defense has as far as holding the edge, taking on doubles, keeping OL from getting to the second level, etc. The position essentially needs to be evaluated like a DT.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

If the numbers Michigan posted about him from spring testing are legit and not a result of Greg Mattison/Kevin Tolbert/some GA not knowing how to use a stopwatch, then he'll be elite in every category. Gary is very underrated against the run. People don't realize how much responsibility the "Anchor" position in Don Brown's defense has as far as holding the edge, taking on doubles, keeping OL from getting to the second level, etc. The position essentially needs to be evaluated like a DT.

True, it will be interesting how he times out at the combine.  I must say though this season he just seemed off and not as explosive for whatever reason compared to his SOPH year.  Did not play big in the biggest games I felt, and his best game was against Indiana by far where he kind of looked himself.  Sure it could have been the injury stuff but against Ohio State for example he was pretty much a non factor.

So you think he will play DT in the NFL?

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, it will be interesting how he times out at the combine.  I must say though this season he just seemed off and not as explosive for whatever reason compared to his SOPH year.  Did not play big in the biggest games I felt, and his best game was against Indiana by far where he kind of looked himself.  Sure it could have been the injury stuff but against Ohio State for example he was pretty much a non factor.

So you think he will play DT in the NFL?

I think it's likely that he plays DT. He could play a hybrid role if he goes to a team that runs a multiple front though. For example, if the Lions drafted him he would probably play a lot of 3T/4i/5T but he would also regularly bump out and play on the edge and even occasionally stand up out there and go into coverage. If he plays on the edge full time it would have to be in a Cam Jordan kind of role.

And yeah, he played the whole season injured. It was rumored during the season that he got injured in practice the week before Notre Dame and that was later confirmed that he injured his shoulder just a few days before the start of the season. He played injured to start the season, he basically re-injured it in the middle of the season so he sat a few games, and then he started playing again before it healed fully (because they got into a crucial part of the schedule and he really wanted to play). He should have just sat the first few games of the season to avoid any potential long-term damage and also so he could play out the rest of the season at 100%. That decision really shouldn't have been left up to him either, Michigan's medical staff needs to be smarter moving forward. 

14 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I think it's likely that he plays DT. He could play a hybrid role if he goes to a team that runs a multiple front though. For example, if the Lions drafted him he would probably play a lot of 3T/4i/5T but he would also regularly bump out and play on the edge and even occasionally stand up out there and go into coverage. If he plays on the edge full time it would have to be in a Cam Jordan kind of role.

And yeah, he played the whole season injured. It was rumored during the season that he got injured in practice the week before Notre Dame and that was later confirmed that he injured his shoulder just a few days before the start of the season. He played injured to start the season, he basically re-injured it in the middle of the season so he sat a few games, and then he started playing again before it healed fully (because they got into a crucial part of the schedule and he really wanted to play). He should have just sat the first few games of the season to avoid any potential long-term damage and also so he could play out the rest of the season at 100%. That decision really shouldn't have been left up to him either, Michigan's medical staff needs to be smarter moving forward. 

Yeah I am probably underrating him a little right now based on his poor play this past season.  If he blows up at the combine it will help to correct that back to what he was before where I had him as no doubt top 5 pick.  Not sure he would be drafted over Bosa, Q. Williams, D. Lawrence, Oliver, D. White and J. Allen though regardless of his combine performance but will see.  I view Gary as a DE more than a DT but does depend on the system he ends up in and how he is used.  He could be very hard to deal with on the inside as well in pass rush situations no doubt.  Also will be curious how his 'Sports Agency' works out for him, did he end up graduating?  Was majoring in General Studies going after a 'Marketing and Sales Track Certificate'.

16 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

What were these numbers?

57 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

What were these numbers?

From two years ago. They have Gary running a 4.57 40 yard dash, jumping 31" in the vertical, jumping 9'6" in the broad jump, and running a 6.70 in the 3-cone. He supposedly did all of this as a 280-285 pound 19-year-old. The jumps seem fairly realistic (and those are very difficult to screw up the measurement on). The times don't look realistic, and it's pretty easy to screw up the measurements on those.

Just now, IDOG_det said:
From two years ago. They have Gary running a 4.57 40 yard dash, jumping 31" in the vertical, jumping 9'6" in the broad jump, and running a 6.70 in the 3-cone. He supposedly did all of this as a 280-285 pound 19-year-old. The jumps seem fairly realistic (and those are very difficult to screw up the measurement on). The times don't look realistic, and it's pretty easy to screw up the measurements on those.

Okay, cool. I found that too, but kinda assumed you meant from this year

Just now, JBURGE said:

Okay, cool. I found that too, but kinda assumed you meant from this year

They never released any spring testing from this past year. Probably had something to do with them moving on from Kevin Tolbert and hiring Ben Herbert. Tolbert was definitely an "old-school" kind of guy that more or less just wanted players to improve their numbers, so they tracked that stuff pretty closely. Herbert is all about improving body composition and improving their functional athleticism. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't really track that kind of stuff anymore. 

17 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Really, 4.57 40 at 280?  No lineman has run that at that size on the DL recently going back to 2006.  Only guys in that 4.5 range are all around 250-265 pounds not 280+.  Guys like Manny Lawson, Clowney, Reddick, Danielle Hunter, Davenport and Bruce Irvin etc...

That would be crazy impressive if he ran around 4.5 at 280+

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Really, 4.57 40 at 280?  No lineman has run that at that size on the DL recently going back to 2006.  Only guys in that 4.5 range are all around 250-265 pounds not 280+.  Guys like Manny Lawson, Clowney, Reddick, Danielle Hunter, Davenport and Bruce Irvin etc...

That would be crazy impressive if he ran around 4.5 at 280+

yeah that's why I don't really believe it's a legitimate time. The 6.70 3-cone is also ridiculous at that size and age. My guess is that whoever was timing those runs for the DL has a slow reaction time (old man Greg Mattison is a prime suspect). 

Gary looks sluggish on tape. Maybe he is that kind of a freak, but I haven't once seen him win with speed in college. He's got a strong punch and can control OL with ease, but I think he's highly overrated. Some "experts" have him going in the top 5. That's crazy to me, as he profiles more as a late 1st-early 2nd. Nothing about him screams spectacular to me from watching his Michigan tape. And I don't think he sucks, but I am not drooling over his potential right now.

3 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Gary is all Edge IMO, thats the reason he went to UM, instead of Clemson. I think it's a pride thing, I think he thinks it's a slap in the face to play inside (all speculation on my part) 

As far as those numbers at 285, it will be interesting to see what he puts up being around 265-270. I think his 3 cone is going to be his most impressive combine attribute

• Like 2

19 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

yeah that's why I don't really believe it's a legitimate time. The 6.70 3-cone is also ridiculous at that size and age. My guess is that whoever was timing those runs for the DL has a slow reaction time (old man Greg Mattison is a prime suspect). 

That’s ziggy “cheetah on his back” type speed lol I don’t believe it hurry up combine just our luck he’ll wait till pro day to do the 40