2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

When would Etienne and Swift get drafted if they were in this class? Top 10? Top 20?

How good is Swift? I was more impressed by Holyfield this year as a runner, and he has dropped like a rock due to his 40 time.

30 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

How good is Swift? I was more impressed by Holyfield this year as a runner, and he has dropped like a rock due to his 40 time.

Imo, very good. Plus he would have a very good combine. Etienne would have an even better one. Jonathan taylor will probably time similar to Miles Sanders, but I love him too. Swift should run a 4.4. That's the bonus to not taking Josh Jacobs this year. Next year,  there's 3 or 4 backs who will definitely be worth a mid/late 1st. There might not be a Saquon, but there could be 2 or 3 Zekes/Gurleys/Kamaras.

Edited by Jeezla

9 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Dude is just gonna offset 4.8 speed? Who has done that?

Here's my take after watching him:

He's a true 4.8 guy. He looks no faster out of pads than in them. That's a big deal for me. 

I'd rather have a dude who is 5'10 217-220 who runs a true 4.8 than a guy who's 5'10 205 who runs a 4.45 in the underwear olympics but loses that speed once the pads come on, particularly because I wonder what else he loses- agility? balance? etc.

Holyfield isn't a burner. But he's strong and doesn't appear to lose anything by putting pads on. Now, it certainly isn't a perfect metric, but it mitigates any concern I have over his speed. His tape shows me what I need to see. 

He's not a day 1 pick, probably not a day 2 pick. But if he's there in rounds 5-7? I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Imo, very good. Plus he would have a very good combine. Etienne would have an even better one. Jonathan taylor will probably time similar to Miles Sanders, but I love him too. Swift should run a 4.4. That's the bonus to not taking Josh Jacobs this year. Next year,  there's 3 or 4 backs who will definitely be worth a mid/late 1st. There might not be a Saquon, but there could be 2 or 3 Zekes/Gurleys/Kamaras.

Swift just never blew me away. We'll see what he does next year.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Anyone here have insight on Alexander Mattison? 

My take on him is he's certainly not a lead back option, but I can't see much indicating he couldn't be a solid #2 option. 

I wasn't impressed when I watched him. But he does enough of everything that he'll likely stick around for a few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

My take on him is he's certainly not a lead back option, but I can't see much indicating he couldn't be a solid #2 option. 

Reminds me a lot of Malcolm Brown for the Rams who has at times spelled Gurley very effectively. Kind of a do it all back who's not going to hit homeruns for you but won't lose you any games and in fact might help you win some grinding out the clock and stringing chunk plays together. 

Good vision, decisive, who can run behind his pads. Above average receiver out of the backfield in terms of hands, not quite route running or variety of uses type of way though. Rarely came off the field for Boise so he has experience in all duties on all downs.

• Like 2

Will someone else back me up on the thought that George Aston is the best fullback prospect I've evaluated ever? Absolute star blocker with great hands with production as a runner/receiver. I don't factor in positional importance into my player grades. As a result, I have him as a top 5 player in this draft based purely on grade.

It's time to give Aston some love.

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mattison is an underrated back. He's a downhill back and is a tough tackle, but he's much more acceptable in pass plays than other downhill backs like Ollison, Ozigbo, and Patrick. I think there's potential to work with here for a 3 down back because he's got skills in every facet of the game. He's up there in a lot of the combine drills with other top prospects at RB.

Edited by Wentz2Ertz
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Here's my take after watching him:

He's a true 4.8 guy. He looks no faster out of pads than in them. That's a big deal for me. 

I'd rather have a dude who is 5'10 217-220 who runs a true 4.8 than a guy who's 5'10 205 who runs a 4.45 in the underwear olympics but loses that speed once the pads come on, particularly because I wonder what else he loses- agility? balance? etc.

Holyfield isn't a burner. But he's strong and doesn't appear to lose anything by putting pads on. Now, it certainly isn't a perfect metric, but it mitigates any concern I have over his speed. His tape shows me what I need to see. 

He's not a day 1 pick, probably not a day 2 pick. But if he's there in rounds 5-7? I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Ok. I wouldn't. 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, Nastradamus said:

Dude is just gonna offset 4.8 speed? Who has done that?

Blount ran a 4.74 and, despite his size, he doesn’t generate much power until he breaks past the line of scrimmage.  

Holyfield appears ready for contact after his first step, and doesn’t necessarily need a hole to get a couple yards.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

Blount ran a 4.74 and, despite his size, he doesn’t generate much power until he breaks past the line of scrimmage.  

Holyfield appears ready for contact after his first step, and doesn’t necessarily need a hole to get a couple yards.  

sure, at 25 lbs heavier, with a reputation for running 4.4 40s(probably juiced a tenth sure) and a 6.85 3 cone. I guess he's an example though. Holyfield is a good football player and sometimes that's enough. Its not enough when you run a 4.8 at RB IMO. Plenty of Big ten RBs over the years assure you of this.