2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Preston Williams 4.64 40 yard dash. Not good.

Super Cooper Kupp ran a bullet speed 4.61 and flew to heights of 29.5" at his pro day. I'm interested in Preston Williams's 10-yard split and 3-cone. Kupp had a 1.57 10-yard split and a 6.53 3-cone at his pro day.

3 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Super Cooper Kupp ran a bullet speed 4.61 and flew to heights of 29.5" at his pro day. I'm interested in Preston Williams's 10-yard split and 3-cone. Kupp had a 1.57 10-yard split and a 6.53 3-cone at his pro day.

Kupp ran 4.56 at his pro day. 31" vert at the combine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Kupp ran 4.56 at his pro day. 31" vert at the combine.

4.56 was the fast end of his range, per NFL Draft Scout. 

His vertical was worse at his pro day than his Combine.

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123920&draftyear=2017&genpos=WR

What I'm getting to is that I really don't think the 40 at a pro day is the great decider for WRs. I'm more interested in burst and fluidity when it comes to athletic testing.

12 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Preston Williams' upside was based on his supposed physical gifts. Cooper Kupp's upside was based on his football IQ, intangibles, and technical polish. Obviously, being very quick is a big part of Kupp's success, but that's because the quickness meshes with his strengths perfectly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

4.56 was the fast end of his range, per NFL Draft Scout. 

His vertical was worse at his pro day than his Combine.

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123920&draftyear=2017&genpos=WR

What I'm getting to is that I really don't think the 40 at a pro day is the great decider for WRs. I'm more interested in burst and fluidity when it comes to athletic testing.

So you're higher on Stanley Morgan, Bisi Johnson, Hunter Renfrow, and Cody Thompson than DK Metcalf?

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

So you're higher on Stanley Morgan, Bisi Johnson, Hunter Renfrow, and Cody Thompson than DK Metcalf?

I like Morgan and Renfrow. 

Metcalf has great explosion, but I'm worried about his agility, for sure, after the Combine. He has the frame, leaping ability, and strength to make up for less separation on curls and digs. I'm talking about the underneath and intermediate part of receivers' games when I talk about the 3-cone and 10-yard split. They're good indicators of movement skills, which are also important for run after the catch ability. The NFL is going more towards a quick short-to-intermediate rhythm-based game that allows for more RAC. We all know Metcalf can do well deep. I'm willing to bet Stanley Morgan can play well deep, too, with that frame and his tape. I want to know more about his ability to excel with more complex routes, which are - as a whole - predicated upon a combination of savvy, timing, and agility.

I'm not saying straight-line speed is unimportant. It'll get you onto plenty od highlight reels. It'll get you the occasional big play. D-Jax type big play ability is rare, though and even he can completely disappear for stretches, and the shifty guys are the ones with the higher floor to be quality contributors in this league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I think I'd rather have both Morgan and Renfrow playing complementary roles for less draft capital than Metcalf playing a single deep threat role. Team building > tantalizing talent. I do like Metcalf, though. I think he'll see success and will command double coverage if a team doesn't have a top tier cover guy who can run with him on vertical routes.

18 hours ago, Counselor said:

Because he is a stiff and linear athlete 

It's not vital to succeed in this league. But a low 3-cone drill speed does help with separation in an extended route tree that he will be asked to run with h/e drafts him. Metcalf does have top end speed but he does not have an elite burst.

I'll be the first to say it. I do NOT see it with AJ Brown. Like at all.

Hes a bigger bodied receiver who doesn't play physical like he should. He plays like his game is that of a smaller, quicker receiver but he doesn't have the shiftiness or speed to excel at that when you watch him. All of those in cuts/jukes back towards the middle of the field after the catch that went for an additional 10-15 yards in college will get 2-3 in the NFL.

Edited by Ray Reed

Metcalf slipped on the 3-cone. Lets see what he does after he practices it and runs at his pro day....if he even does. It's such a nothingburger. Big Wrs rarely even run that drill. Calvin didn't Andre Johnson didn't. Larry Fitz didn't.  Dez  had just as bad shuttle., etc. So did DeAndre Hopkins.

• Like 1