Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Irvin needs to be in a very specific defense on account of weighing 235 pounds, standing straight up in his stance, and possessing all the upper body strength of your average girl scout.

That's the opposite of this scheme.

The scheme for Irvin would be, hey it's 3rd down, go get that guy who throws the ball for the other team. He's fine for that.

10 hours ago, Lodestar said:
10 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

TRADE DEADLINE FOR THE NFL!  WHO EFFING CARES ABOUT THE NBA?!?!  Jeezus, focus people.

I traded my anxiety about the Rams game for pure uncut bliss regarding the 2018-19 Toronto Raptors.

I live an hour outside Toronto, I'll try to go see a couple games this year

On 10/22/2018 at 12:07 PM, Outpost31 said:

I am willing to give up a first round pick for Chandler Jones at this point. 

Willing to give up a third for Fowler.

Willing to give up a 4th for Hughes.

Willing to give up a 5th for literally any other pass rusher just for how good I'd feel about doing something there. 

Chandler Jones is obviously the best player on that list. However, I'm not sure we could (or should even consider) taking on his contract. That's why Patrick Peterson makes sense to me -- his contract is very team friendly. 

I really like the idea of acquiring a Fowler or Hughes for a mid-round pick though. Either would be a substantial improvement over Fackrell/Gilbert and possibly even Perry/Clay. 

38 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Chandler Jones is obviously the best player on that list. However, I'm not sure we could (or should even consider) taking on his contract. That's why Patrick Peterson makes sense to me -- his contract is very team friendly. 

I really like the idea of acquiring a Fowler or Hughes for a mid-round pick though. Either would be a substantial improvement over Fackrell/Gilbert and possibly even Perry/Clay. 

Paying 16/year for the 29-31 seasons of Chandler Jones is upsetting enough without even spending a pick to do it.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Paying 16/year for the 29-31 seasons of Chandler Jones is upsetting enough without even spending a pick to do it.

Fortunately, the Cardinals take on the SB portion of the contract if they trade Chandler Jones, so in theory the only season the Packers would be on the hook for would be the 2019 season.  Trying out Chandler Jones at $16.5M isn't an awful ideal given how much cap space we're projected to have next offseason.  Probably wouldn't give them the pick they'd want though.

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

Exactly.

Some Packer fans continue to think of free agency solely in terms of what sort of compensatory pick a departing player might generate rather than what players might actually be signed to improve the team.

Given their history of aggressive moves in free agency, I seriously doubt that Elway and the Broncos will refrain from grading players because it might impact the team's chances of collecting a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick.

If you want to play the Comp pick game then the way to do it is to try and manage your cap in 2 year cycles. And sign FA one year (expensive year) and accumulate comp picks the other year (cheap year).  The cheap year you can carry forward a lot of camp to the expensive year. 

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

If you want to play the Comp pick game then the way to do it is to try and manage your cap in 2 year cycles. And sign FA one year (expensive year) and accumulate comp picks the other year (cheap year).  The cheap year you can carry forward a lot of camp to the expensive year. 

It seems a somewhat simplistic tactic, but being complicated isn't an NFL requirement......I like it.

18 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It seems a somewhat simplistic tactic, but being complicated isn't an NFL requirement......I like it.

If you really value comp picks then you can play this game.

1. Manage your contracts so the high earners you don't want to re-sign expire in odd number years (say 2021 hypothetically). 
  2. In 2020 you make a run at free agency. Trade as many 2020 draft picks for picks in 2021 (hopefully in earlier round)
  3. In 2021 , let the players you meant to let go leave for nice comp picks. Don't sign any free agents (that impact the formula). Reinforce the roster with the draft (as you have extra  picks due to 2020 picks traded). By not signing free agents and losing players roll over loads of cap space
  4. In 2022, same as 2020 using the cap space you rolled over in 2021

Would also allow you to cut bad contracts - aiming for the dead money to hit in odd numbers (as in these years you have lower cap numbers).  

Might be interesting following a team that did this - every other year you get to be excited about free agency and then the draft the following year (assuming you can trade the picks).

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

If you really value comp picks then you can play this game.

1. Manage your contracts so the high earners you don't want to re-sign expire in odd number years (say 2021 hypothetically). 
  2. In 2020 you make a run at free agency. Trade as many 2020 draft picks for picks in 2021 (hopefully in earlier round)
  3. In 2021 , let the players you meant to let go leave for nice comp picks. Don't sign any free agents (that impact the formula). Reinforce the roster with the draft (as you have extra  picks due to 2020 picks traded). By not signing free agents and losing players roll over loads of cap space
  4. In 2022, same as 2020 using the cap space you rolled over in 2021

Would also allow you to cut bad contracts - aiming for the dead money to hit in odd numbers (as in these years you have lower cap numbers).  

Might be interesting following a team that did this - every other year you get to be excited about free agency and then the draft the following year (assuming you can trade the picks).

I like that idea.  I think it might be even better as a way for a team to do a hard reset to jump start a rebuild of the roster.

We could still trade Rodgers. 

Maybe that's why we didn't get Mack. 

Gute knew the Rams game was right before the trade deadline.  He knew it would be the best test for this team to see if they had any chance whatsoever to win a Super Bowl this year. 

It's been planned since the beginning. 

Gute gets two first round picks because he knows Mack's demands and Gruden's stubbornness won't mesh.  He knows what's-his-face in Chicago has delusions of grandeur and that he thinks he's one player away.  Gute ups the ante for the Raiders to get two first round picks from the Bears sent to the Raiders. 

Then he waits for the Raiders to trade away their best receiver. 

The Raiders now have 5 first round picks over the next five years, but Gute had to make sure the Raiders were 1-7 before he made the trade.  He's also hoping for a surprise Niner/Cardinal win today. 

Rodgers won't be able to do much in Oakland, but he reunites with Cook and Nelson.  McCarthy laughs as Rodgers now realizes how good he had it under McCarthy if he JUST took what was open.  Now he has to wait for Cook/Nelson to get open instead of Davante/Graham. 

Packers get 5 first round picks in the next two years.  We also get Derek Carr.  Not because he's good (I was definitely wrong on that one), but so we can have somebody to start until our next QB is ready. 

That means we would have 7 first round picks in the next two years.  That is a n entire draft's worth of first round picks in two years. 

If we can't find a decent QB and build a dominant team with 7 first round picks in 2 years, we don't deserve Rodgers anyway. 

48 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We could still trade Rodgers. 

Maybe that's why we didn't get Mack. 

Gute knew the Rams game was right before the trade deadline.  He knew it would be the best test for this team to see if they had any chance whatsoever to win a Super Bowl this year. 

It's been planned since the beginning. 

Gute gets two first round picks because he knows Mack's demands and Gruden's stubbornness won't mesh.  He knows what's-his-face in Chicago has delusions of grandeur and that he thinks he's one player away.  Gute ups the ante for the Raiders to get two first round picks from the Bears sent to the Raiders. 

Then he waits for the Raiders to trade away their best receiver. 

The Raiders now have 5 first round picks over the next five years, but Gute had to make sure the Raiders were 1-7 before he made the trade.  He's also hoping for a surprise Niner/Cardinal win today. 

Rodgers won't be able to do much in Oakland, but he reunites with Cook and Nelson.  McCarthy laughs as Rodgers now realizes how good he had it under McCarthy if he JUST took what was open.  Now he has to wait for Cook/Nelson to get open instead of Davante/Graham. 

Packers get 5 first round picks in the next two years.  We also get Derek Carr.  Not because he's good (I was definitely wrong on that one), but so we can have somebody to start until our next QB is ready. 

That means we would have 7 first round picks in the next two years.  That is a n entire draft's worth of first round picks in two years. 

If we can't find a decent QB and build a dominant team with 7 first round picks in 2 years, we don't deserve Rodgers anyway. 

Gute the genius, he's like why trade Aaron now when I can commit to 80 million in dead cap?

Archived