Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

I like Barrett at lot.  Give up the 4'th or 5'th for him and get an extension done in that 5-8M range for 3  or 4 years.  Typical GB contract that lets him hit free agency prior to age 30.

I've long thought that he played with some violence and suddenness at the snap.  Two things that we do not have on the edge.  Getting him may not be getting a superstar, but it greatly helps out that OLB corp this year....and then a rookie (or two) next year can really compliment him and Perry.  Having someone like Shaq would be a great benefit now and later.

Get it done, Gute.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They might be available, but both probably get decent contracts in FA.  If the offer isn't good enough, I'd be willing to bet that the Broncos are willing to collect the compensatory picks.

That sort of strategy limits what you can do in FA though, if you want the comp picks you have to avoid signing anyone yourself.

If they were the options I would deal them now and give yourself more flexibility in FA. 

10 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

That sort of strategy limits what you can do in FA though, if you want the comp picks you have to avoid signing anyone yourself.

If they were the options I would deal them now and give yourself more flexibility in FA. 

Exactly.

Some Packer fans continue to think of free agency solely in terms of what sort of compensatory pick a departing player might generate rather than what players might actually be signed to improve the team.

Given their history of aggressive moves in free agency, I seriously doubt that Elway and the Broncos will refrain from grading players because it might impact the team's chances of collecting a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you're drafting outside of the first pick in the NFL, you can still find a high quality starter.  The talent pool in the NBA is so diluted you're lucky if you find someone whose capable of making an impact.

seems like exactly the case why tanking is more viable in the NBA vs NFL. 

It just takes one player to become a title contender, and the only places you can get that player is via FA (if you're in an attractive big market) or via the "draft resource" route whereby you trade valuable picks to acquire a talented player (such as the KG trade to boston), or exercise your draft selections to acquire a great player (such as the celtics using the Nets pick from KG) in the draft.

You can't be an average team and get a high pick.  At some point you have to lose enough games or get lucky enough in the lottery to get a talented player.  VERY rarely you get a Giannis or Steph Curry who falls outside the top picks.  Maximizing your draft value by losing games is a great way to have the resources to acquire top talent.  It's why every team that isn't a  perceived playoff team is doing it.

Back to the Raiders, they are in a good position to trade Derek Carr this offseason, eating 7.5M in 2019 dead cap, which is probably the way they should go.  The plan should be to get enough draft capital and lose enough games to draft one of the top QBs next draft. 

Even if they end up picking the best QB, they won't be in a position to contend for another 2-3 years, assuming they do fairly well with the rest of their roster building process, because even with an AMAZING QB, that pick still isn't as valuable to the team as an elite NBA player would be to theirs.  Drafting an elite young QB is the holy grail, but it still takes a village in the NFL to build a contender.

Couple this with the fact that the NFL draft being far less predictable than the NBA draft:

curves_all_60.png?w=1140

and I think you have a worse tanking plan than in the NBA.  I mean, just look at the flipping chart!  It's so disgustingly obvious that top picks have an inordinate value in the NBA, and getting a top pick/top player is basically the ONLY concern for a rebuilding team. 

Add in the fact that Gruden is a buffoon whose concepts clearly favor established veterans versus new young talent, and you have a plan which doesn't maximize its coach's best attributes.

Silver just lowered the draft eligible age again - so the NBA draft is gonna become even more useless. Nice job Adam, you fricken moron. The real problem in the NBA is the superteams, but that's a discussion for another forum. Yes, team building between the 2 sports carry very few parallels. Like zero even.

I do find the amount of action at this trade deadline interesting. I think this trend will continue. Due to the cap, I don't think we will see buyers and sellers lists any time soon ala the MLB, but it's just another avenue to help your team, no matter which side of it you are on. Gotta win now. The NFL moves at a glacial pace with new ideas, so maybe Gruden has jumpstarted something here. I kinda like it

37 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Silver just lowered the draft eligible age again - so the NBA draft is gonna become even more useless. Nice job Adam, you fricken moron. The real problem in the NBA is the superteams, but that's a discussion for another forum. Yes, team building between the 2 sports carry very few parallels. Like zero even.

I do find the amount of action at this trade deadline interesting. I think this trend will continue. Due to the cap, I don't think we will see buyers and sellers lists any time soon ala the MLB, but it's just another avenue to help your team, no matter which side of it you are on. Gotta win now. The NFL moves at a glacial pace with new ideas, so maybe Gruden has jumpstarted something here. I kinda like it

i would think that it's like any other avenue as you noted if a team thinks they can improve their roster they will and if not they won't. I think we could see dumps like what the raiders have done but NFL buyers for the most part these days are a bit smarter no one wants that Albert Haynesworth type player. Some will over pay some won't but at least it gives teams a change to pull in seasons moves that aren't just straight street FA's.

59 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Super-teams only exist from good drafting. GSW wouldn't have a super team if it wasn't from drafting exceptionally well. Boston is almost entirely draft selections. I don't see the problem. Draft well and you can have a super team

5 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Super-teams only exist from good drafting. GSW wouldn't have a super team if it wasn't from drafting exceptionally well. Boston is almost entirely draft selections. I don't see the problem. Draft well and you can have a super team

Lol.  What was the last team in the NBA to win a Championship by drafting well and not signing at least two major free agents?

Two major free agents in the NBA is equivalent to signing 8 major free agents in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

You think a high profile FA is coming to Milwaukee on a discount anytime soon under any circumstances ? 

The problem is that the players are now deciding the rosters and Milwaukee will never be a destination. L.A. has sucked, their front office is a mess, but because it's L.A.,  LeBron went there and I'd bet big money he already knows who will join him next year to form another superteam. LeBron will let the front office know what that roster will be. He probably couldn't name 5 players on that roster when he signed and could care less about Ball, Hart, or anyone else they drafted.

That LeBron Miami team wasn't put together by the front office - and draft choices - as it should be in sports. That was Wade, LeBron and Bosch deciding to play together and the front office had to make it work. The players are gonna choose beaches and bimbos over Milwaukee every time. Drafting has little to do with it other than reasonable cap room, and that doesn't even matter that much anymore

28 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Rapsheet said Bruce Irvin "could" be available. I haven't watched that guy play in awhile so have no idea what he'd bring to the table at this stage in his career.

I don't like Irvin at all, but I'm willing to drop my qualms over personalities for a chance to win this year.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  What was the last team in the NBA to win a Championship by drafting well and not signing at least two major free agents?

Two major free agents in the NBA is equivalent to signing 8 major free agents in the NFL.  

2015 Warriors. 2018 if you count Durant as the only major FA.

Archived