Week 8: Saints (5-1) at VIKINGS (4-2-1)

swede700

Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Drew Brees has averaged 312.60 yds passing vs. the Vikings in his career (regular season only). How many yds will he pass for this week?

• 0 - 245 yds (his average vs. the Vikings in the playoffs)
    • 246 - 312 yds
    • 313+ yds

I think this "we have to play a perfect game" thing is a bit overstated. The Saints are very good. But we showed in LA that we can play awful and still keep up with good teams. Our defense is playing better, and all we really need is for them to slow the running game down, and then Brees down. In that order. They will score, we just have to keep pace, and can't take our foot off the gas. If you think the game is over, it already is.

3 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

and all we really need is for them to slow the running game down, and then Brees down. In that order. They will score, we just have to keep pace, and can't take our foot off the gas. If you think the game is over, it already is.

"All we really need them to do is shut down one of the best, most exciting running backs in the NFL and one of the best QBs to ever step on the field."

That's all we need them to do?!?!? Well if that's all we have to do! Simple! That's like saying "All you have to do is walk up to Mike Tyson and punch him to get some money!"

Kidding aside....

I was being a little facetious when saying we have to play "perfect" but we're making wayyyyyy too many dumb mistakes (throwing the ball backwards, fumbles, blown assignments on defense, shooting ourselves in the foot in the red zone, missed kicks, etc.) You might be able to get away with that with teams like the Cardinals and a middle of the road (at best) Jets team who have rookie QBs but not a Drew Brees team.

I've honestly yet to think "The Vikes played a complete game today." This will have to be the week that everything is clicking on all cylinders for 60 minutes. We've had a quarter or two per game when the offense and defense were both playing at a high level but I don't think we've seen a 60 minute performance from both.

• Getting to 3rd & long all game and punting the ball might be OK against a Sam Darnold. Drew Brees will make you regret that.
  • Letting Kamara get the ball with no defender within 10 yards of him? He'll make you regret that.
  • Missing your assignment on Michael Thomas or getting picked by your own guy? He'll make you regret that.
  • Turning the ball over? Yep.

Like you said....gotta keep pace like we did vs. Rams (who played poorly in their own right) but the crucial key to the game is keeping #9 on the sidelines.

We need to RUN THE BALL and take time off the clock but we can't get into those 3rd & long situations like we did last week where we're throwing it on 3rd & 9 and Kirk has a face full of pressure making him dump the ball off 3 yards down the field.

10 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

We need to RUN THE BALL and take time off the clock but we can't get into those 3rd & long situations like we did last week where we're throwing it on 3rd & 9 and Kirk has a face full of pressure making him dump the ball off 3 yards down the field.

That is the key, but the reality is that the Saints are the #1 run defense in the NFL (but that could mean just that teams don't need to run because they can pass all over them...considering they are #30 against the pass)...and the Vikings don't run the ball.  Therefore, what they probably really need to do is at least just get first downs however you can and keep Brees off the field.  It worked for them in the 1st of the playoff game last year, as well as Week 1 of last year.  That's what they have to do again.   

20 hours ago, Klomp said:

If we want to talk about schedules like we have in other threads for other teams, I think you could say New Orleans has had it pretty easy so far. WAS and BAL are the only teams they've played with a winning record.

Saints rest of the schedule is pretty tough

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

"All we really need them to do is shut down one of the best, most exciting running backs in the NFL and one of the best QBs to ever step on the field."

That's all we need them to do?!?!? Well if that's all we have to do! Simple! That's like saying "All you have to do is walk up to Mike Tyson and punch him to get some money!"

Kidding aside....

He didn't say we have to shut them down. He said we have to SLOW them down. Pretty big difference.

Hold them under 40 points and our odds increase. Hold them under 30 points and our odds increase even further. I don't think anyone is saying the only way to beat the Saints is to hold them under 20 points. I maybe would've said that last year, but I think we have the tools to keep up with high-powered offenses if we only get a few stops.

Last year we were 1-3 when allowing over 24 points to an opponent, probably because we only scored over 24 seven times ourselves. This year, we've already scored over 24 in 4 of 7 games (over 21 in 6 of 7). While we haven't won yet this year when allowing over 24 (0-2-1), the probabilities for winning those games is probably higher than it was last year.

Archived