Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

42 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think it's theater I think there was too much pressure to not allow sports to be played and restaurants to open. The best option would have been no indoor dining and no sports until it was under control. Following a protocol should still happen when not actively doing one of these things we really shouldn't be doing but felt we had to for business or because of pressure.

I'm still not eating in a restaurant. I'll go in and pick up food but I'm not sharing air with unmasked humans for a long period of time just so I don't have to wash my own dishes or get my own ketchup.

We sorta half assed it but there was no way to get everyone on board to do it the right way anyway so we'll take some losses and maybe get better in the future.

I think the part that’s theater was having them wear masks sometimes, like on the sidelines, but not when they were actually in very close contact.

It was a comical attempt to try to pretend like people actually gave a ****.  Maybe they did care, but definitely not enough to cancel something as important as school aged athletics for a year.

Ive personally been back to doing most things for a while now, but I’m vaccinated so my risk of getting and giving is reduced and I wear a mask.  It’s not hard or hard to understand.

Still have no interest in amusement parks, crowded sports arenas, movie theaters or crowded bars.  Of course I did like those things much a year and a half ago either...

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right... but again, every child hasn’t.  

Doc Rivers Reaction GIF

You're infuriating

Removing the masks that are to be on in public places is what has been protecting them from these hillbillies

I don't know about where you are, but I'd assume Warren County isn't exactly better about people covering up their noses than here in Greene County, where over 1/3 of people can't even tell the difference between a chin strap and a mask at this point, another 1/4 of the population essentially gives everyone else the middle finger and refuses to comply (not in schools, but rather in businesses), and about 1/2 of the rest of us comply in some capacity.

They’ve been giving it and it’s been widely ignore, especially by a specific 37%ish of the country.

Exactly. And nothing is going to change at all between now and forever, so having me as a coach and teacher promoting something that isn't in my job description to do is just asinine. And people wonder why my profession has such a burnout rate. We have somehow become a "fix all" for every societal issue and shortcoming, whether it's poverty, food distribution, medical advice and protocols, abuse, and whatever else.

Of course it’s political.  It’s a half measure to appease anti-intellectuals who put their feelings above actual data.

Frustration_trap_1.png

I call this the Cycle of Frustration

I’m not disagreeing, but what does this really have to do with removing mask mandates moving forward?

When you have the data, then you decide to discard it because you need/want schools open, you lose credibility. He's clearly waiting until June 2 so that he doesn't have to pick the school battle and he doesn't want these in place for extra curricular activities over the summer and into the fall.

For sure, but, as we know, we live in a world where “muh freedums” folks aren’t gonna do that either, hence needing to protect those who can’t be vaccinated.

Let those people reap what they sow. If they don't want the vaccine, I wish them the best, and they can move on with their lives and don't come crying to me when they can't travel, go to whatever universities, etc. etc. etc.

I mean, what is still closed near you?  Pretty much everything is up and rolling here. What businesses are still being severely limited?  I’m legit asking.

Closed or limited? Restaurants, sports venues where not all family can watch their kids, graduations, 25% of our kids aren't in school, 40+% of adolescents have been diagnosed with anxiety and 28% of them have contemplated suicide, and the assumption that somehow some of these kids' lives are safer at home is a major societal problem and fallacy (see the law of unintended consequences). A bunch of other food/drink/bar businesses have to limit capacity and close early.

I've lost 6+ of my former kids ages 20 and under by their own hand in the last 11 months and 2 weeks. It's time we evaluate the future beyond just the kids who lives in good to awesome situations.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the part that’s theater was having them wear masks sometimes, like on the sidelines, but not when they were actually in very close contact.

EXACTLY

It was a comical attempt to try to pretend like people actually gave a ****.  Maybe they did care, but definitely not enough to cancel something as important as school aged athletics for a year.

They sent the "Covid FBI" as we called them to our games. They actually shut down a game (Springboro) this year due to lack of COVID compliance in the stands and DeWine threated to cancel the state championship game (came over the PA) due to this as well. Getting "dinged" on the evaluation because kids on the sideline weren't in their assigned spot 2 yards apart and wearing masks underneath their helmets and having to worry about that AND coaching a game up in the press box was nothing short of frustrating.

We couldn't even huddle up in practices in ANY capacity, whether it was to talk to the team as a whole or even send in plays to simulate a game huddle. ONLY the center could touch the ball between plays (not even the refs). So, huddling for the first time all week on game nights went really smoothly and without issue.

Ive personally been back to doing most things for a while now, but I’m vaccinated so my risk of getting and giving is reduced and I wear a mask.  It’s not hard or hard to understand.

Still have no interest in amusement parks, crowded sports arenas, movie theaters or crowded bars.  Of course I did like those things much a year and a half ago either...

Hard pass on all of those things for me as well, albeit at some point in the fall I'd love to go to a Browns game with some buddies if able.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

EXACTLY

They sent the "Covid FBI" as we called them to our games. They actually shut down a game (Springboro) this year due to lack of COVID compliance in the stands and DeWine threated to cancel the state championship game (came over the PA) due to this as well. Getting "dinged" on the evaluation because kids on the sideline weren't in their assigned spot 2 yards apart and wearing masks underneath their helmets and having to worry about that AND coaching a game up in the press box was nothing short of frustrating.

We couldn't even huddle up in practices in ANY capacity, whether it was to talk to the team as a whole or even send in plays to simulate a game huddle. ONLY the center could touch the ball between plays (not even the refs). So, huddling for the first time all week on game nights went really smoothly and without issue.

It was a half measure that essentially just pissed everyone off.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hard pass on all of those things for me as well, albeit at some point in the fall I'd love to go to a Browns game with some buddies if able.

Just go to the game in Cincy.  Shouldn’t be hard to socially distance. 😂 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It was a half measure that essentially just pissed everyone off.

More than that, it put all of us under the microscope on football and coaching fronts. No one wanted to be the team that "ruined it for the kids". Granted, our parents went from "We're just thankful to have the opportunity to play!!!" to "Fire the entire coaching staff" with a social media post 7 days later after our 2nd game.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just go to the game in Cincy.  Shouldn’t be hard to socially distance. 😂 

Inside The Nba Lol GIF by NBA on TNT

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Doc Rivers Reaction GIF

You're infuriating

I’m simply pointing out your kids and mine are being put at an increased risk because of this.  

You don’t repeal sound regulations because some people don’t follow them, you enforce them until they do.

I don't know about where you are, but I'd assume Warren County isn't exactly better about people covering up their noses than here in Greene County, where over 1/3 of people can't even tell the difference between a chin strap and a mask at this point, another 1/4 of the population essentially gives everyone else the middle finger and refuses to comply (not in schools, but rather in businesses), and about 1/2 of the rest of us comply in some capacity.

See above.  Start finding people/businesses and withholding business licenses until they comply.

They’d have no problem doing so if it were a pair of harmless, hopefully spectacular boobs.

Exactly. And nothing is going to change at all between now and forever, so having me as a coach and teacher promoting something that isn't in my job description to do is just asinine. And people wonder why my profession has such a burnout rate. We have somehow become a "fix all" for every societal issue and shortcoming, whether it's poverty, food distribution, medical advice and protocols, abuse, and whatever else.

Frustration_trap_1.png

I call this the Cycle of Frustration

When you have the data, then you decide to discard it because you need/want schools open, you lose credibility. He's clearly waiting until June 2 so that he doesn't have to pick the school battle and he doesn't want these in place for extra curricular activities over the summer and into the fall.

Let those people reap what they sow. If they don't want the vaccine, I wish them the best, and they can move on with their lives and don't come crying to me when they can't travel, go to whatever universities, etc. etc. etc.

And in the process spread the nonsense to others.  It doesn’t just impact them.

Closed or limited? Restaurants, sports venues where not all family can watch their kids, graduations, 25% of our kids aren't in school, 40+% of adolescents have been diagnosed with anxiety and 28% of them have contemplated suicide, and the assumption that somehow some of these kids' lives are safer at home is a major societal problem and fallacy (see the law of unintended consequences). A bunch of other food/drink/bar businesses have to limit capacity and close early.

I've lost 6+ of my former kids ages 20 and under by their own hand in the last 11 months and 2 weeks. It's time we evaluate the future beyond just the kids who lives in good to awesome situations.

I’m not defending all the actions, and there have been some awful unintended consequences for sure, but go back half a year in the covid thread and review what I said then.  If everyone would just wear a mask, properly, we’d have been able to do most of what we wanted to last fall.

I just think peeling them back now is an attempt to appease people who don’t have (nor have had at any point) any desire to do things right.

It’s the societal equivalent of giving the whiny toddler a cookie because it shuts them up.  The only difference is in this case the cookie isn’t just harming the kid.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

EXACTLY

It's sorta theater but I think mostly the thought was that you still comply except when you don't have to, even if that is the much greater risk. You know people, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Relax it for all players the entire game (which you could, they have already been put at risk) and then the same for coaches, the people watching the game see it and think that if they're safe breathing heavy on each other and chilling on the sideline with no mask why wear a mask in the stands, they are 5 feet away from other people anyway. Next game they don't even bring a a mask. Feels good. Not wearing a mask to quickly run into a gas station. Hey, I'm not dead. Decides masks are pointless.

Now this isn't everyone or even the majority but it's enough. It's basically just a show of solidarity to keep the (hmmmm most say stupid people but I really don't want to say that so I'll say the) people who come to their own conclusions without the best data available being used from giving up the attempt to slow/stop the spread. Now you still have the people who refuse to wear masks correctly or those that blatantly defy protocols because they know more than anyone else or trust no one about anything but we knew we would always have those but to add those on the fence to that group makes the combined group way too large to really get anything back to normal in a timely manner.

We could have eliminated this in our country in a couple months if everyone would do their part but they wouldn't nor will they ever. So you go to plan B which is a much longer process and you have to listen to those who wouldn't comply to stop the initial spread complain about procedures they aren't following and how long it is taking to contain this thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll complain about those ballbags until they manage to figure out how to just send me a friggin bill.

dddf79d058b69ed6e814a39f41469f35.jpg 

I had a CPA do my taxes a few years ago (local taxes), and after the city sent it back on TWO different occasions (he had to modify it once), I went down to the courthouse and had them do it and file it for me. It took some random dude with about 10% of the expertise of the guy I hired to do my taxes all of 5 minutes (literally, maybe even less) and have me sign it and pay the $25 I owed for the year.

For the past 7 years since, I've driven down and skipped the first step and made them do it for me ever since. 

After moving this past year to the Township, I'll never have to do this again...but yeah, I'm THAT petty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I had a CPA do my taxes a few years ago (local taxes), and after the city sent it back on TWO different occasions (he had to modify it once), I went down to the courthouse and had them do it and file it for me. It took some random dude with about 10% of the expertise of the guy I hired to do my taxes all of 5 minutes (literally, maybe even less) and have me sign it and pay the $25 I owed for the year.

For the past 7 years since, I've driven down and skipped the first step and made them do it for me ever since. 

After moving this past year to the Township, I'll never have to do this again...but yeah, I'm THAT petty.

Ha, drive down to the courthouse, what an idiot. What about the rest of the taxes?

I just go to H&R Block and they do ALL my taxes for me and tell me exactly how much I have to pay.  Only costs about $700 when I purchase the extra insurance to make sure they didn’t do anything that could bend me over if I get audited.

They even give me stamped envelopes for free.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ha, drive down to the courthouse, what an idiot. What about the rest of the taxes?

I just go to H&R Block and they do ALL my taxes for me and tell me exactly how much I have to pay.  Only costs about $700 when I purchase the extra insurance to make sure they didn’t do anything that could bend me over if I get audited.

They even give me stamped envelopes for free.

This year, I hired a CPA who did ALL of it, and it cost me $210 total for everything. :) 

In the past, after the above experience, I did it all myself and then filed locally with the random dude at the courthouse. 

Do you guys own rentals or a business? about 90+% of people are now doing a standard deduction. So doing your taxes should be pretty straight forward.  

So free turbo tax will cover you. Now if you have a bunch of crazy investments or own property or a business that goes out the window.

Oh and I work in a Township and live in a Township, there is a nice little bonus each week. 

Nerd power

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

Do you guys own rentals or a business?

I've owned my business for 17 years.  I feel very comfortable with accounting, and I'm very organized.

And there ain't no way in hell I'm ever doing my own taxes ever again.  CPA all the way.

Business taxes are a beyotch, especially in PA.