Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

051221-WTD-Eric-Rosen-cartoon.png

The United States will never face an economic depression level event again.

Want to know why? We will literally invade other countries with our military if it comes down to it. Nobody likes to talk about that out loud, but if people get hungry, the US military would do it in a heartbeat.

Will things get really uncomfortable? Yes. However, we will never have to deal with a economic apocalypse.

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Will things get really uncomfortable?

People are likening the current situation to 1970s' inflation potential.

I do not buy that unless there is a wild card similar to what happened with oil prices then.

But there are landmines out there.

Just imagine what would happen if the eviction moratorium were lifted.

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

All COVID mandates in Ohio being lifted as of June 2. I'm pumped.

Removing all mandates before a vaccination is available for kids seems questionable at best iyam.

But at least the folks who’ve been so incredibly burdened by a piece of fabric over their typically ugly mugs won’t be so put out any longer. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Removing all mandates before a vaccination is available for kids seems questionable at best iyam.

You mean 2/3 of kids. Kids 12 and up are cleared to get the Pfizer. Early data projects 2 and up by August.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But at least the folks who’ve been so incredibly burdened by a piece of fabric over their typically ugly mugs won’t be so put out any longer. 

Or the small businesses and other businesses that have lost over 60% of their revenue over the past 15 months. I couldn't care less about a mask or mask mandate. Making it about a mask is a bit disingenuous here.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You mean 2/3 of kids.

no I mean all kids.  That was approved this week.  Most in that age range won’t have their vaccinations completed and be considered as having immunity (2 weeks post vaccinations) by then.

Kids 12 and up are cleared to get the Pfizer. Early data projects 2 and up by August.

right.  Sounds like mid to late September for a repeal of the mask mandate makes more sense to me then, no?

Or the small businesses and other businesses that have lost over 60% of their revenue over the past 15 months. I couldn't care less about a mask or mask mandate. Making it about a mask is a bit disingenuous here.

I’m literally just discussing the mask mandate.

Open the businesses, require a mask.  I’ve been fine with this for months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

no I mean all kids.  That was approved this week.  Most in that age range won’t have their vaccinations completed and be considered as having immunity (2 weeks post vaccinations) by then.

Considering the mask mandate is generally only applied to ages 10 and up, opening it all up and ending all of the mandates by June 2 isn't unreasonable. We can argue that perhaps you can say by June 15 or whatever, but considering all kids 12 and up are now eligible to get it, you're essentially talking about a 2 year window that it would even apply to (ages 10 and 11).

right.  Sounds like mid to late September for a repeal of the mask mandate makes more sense to me then, no?

The scope of the mandates plural is what I'm excited about Why fixate upon the mask portion? Or, here's a thought, if you have young children, still have them wear masks. That's what I do. Considering schools won't even be an issue by June 2, you can have a ton of kids playing outside and they don't have to go into stores this summer anyway.

Having kids wear masks OUTSIDE, not providing water, making kids wear masks while not actively playing sports and yet not mandating them for those actively participating was little more than public theatre anyway.

Hey football players, you must wear masks under your helmets unless you're actively playing, and yes we are going to double team your 1 tech ALL NIGHT, but no, we won't shake his hand postgame. 

Hey kids wrestling, don't wear a mask, but make sure that you do for the post match victor presentation, and no, you aren't allowed to shake hands despite actively grappling for 10 minutes in your sweaty singlets.

Also, wear your mask into a restaurant, but you're free to remove it once you sit down. Covid is actually more contagious during that 8 second walk to your table.

Also, schools aren't where Covid is being transmitted, so you can sit 3 feet apart to avoid quarantine instead of 6, because Covid is less transmittable in schools. Never mind the documented proof to the contrary with almost 1,000 cases in Centerville in November, or the fact that I got it while at school teaching and coaching, WHILE WEARING A MASK the entire time (close proximity is unavoidable unfortunately), I'm somehow more safe here (that's laughable).

I’m literally just discussing the mask mandate.

Why? I'm currently wearing one and have for 14 months. At this point, I don't care, albeit I'm looking forward to getting rid of it.

Open the businesses, require a mask.  I’ve been fine with this for months.

And THAT is what I'm excited about.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Considering the mask mandate is generally only applied to ages 10 and up, opening it all up and ending all of the mandates by June 2 isn't unreasonable. We can argue that perhaps you can say by June 15 or whatever, but considering all kids 12 and up are now eligible to get it, you're essentially talking about a 2 year window that it would even apply to (ages 10 and 11).

The scope of the mandates plural is what I'm excited about Why fixate upon the mask portion? Or, here's a thought, if you have young children, still have them wear masks. That's what I do. Considering schools won't even be an issue by June 2, you can have a ton of kids playing outside and they don't have to go into stores this summer anyway.

Are you under the impression we’re wearing masks for our OWN protection?  Other people wearing masks is what has protected kids 10 and under this whole time (using those guidelines).

Having kids wear masks OUTSIDE, not providing water, making kids wear masks while not actively playing sports and yet not mandating them for those actively participating was little more than public theatre anyway.

Hey football players, you must wear masks under your helmets unless you're actively playing, and yes we are going to double team your 1 tech ALL NIGHT, but no, we won't shake his hand postgame. 

Hey kids wrestling, don't wear a mask, but make sure that you do for the post match victor presentation, and no, you aren't allowed to shake hands despite actively grappling for 10 minutes in your sweaty singlets.

Agreed.

That said, allowing those activities to happen in the first place flew directly in the face of all guidelines...

Also, wear your mask into a restaurant, but you're free to remove it once you sit down. Covid is actually more contagious during that 8 second walk to your table.

you’re being obtuse.

Also, schools aren't where Covid is being transmitted, so you can sit 3 feet apart to avoid quarantine instead of 6, because Covid is less transmittable in schools. Never mind the documented proof to the contrary with almost 1,000 cases in Centerville in November, or the fact that I got it while at school teaching and coaching, WHILE WEARING A MASK the entire time (close proximity is unavoidable unfortunately), I'm somehow more safe here (that's laughable).

There wasn’t and isn’t a viable alternative.  Not everyone can do virtual and those who did found it atrocious in many cases.  Ask me how I know.

Realizing that isn’t a perfect solution for kids as it relates to education (and parents with childcare) is not the same as a mask mandate.  

Why? I'm currently wearing one and have for 14 months. At this point, I don't care, albeit I'm looking forward to getting rid of it.

Masks have been the clearest and most obvious indication of a person’s sense of community and their general concern for the well-being of others I can think of offhand.

I’d rather wear a mask and protect others than not and put others at risk.  I question the moral compass of anyone who can’t get on board with something as simple as that (not saying that’s you).

And THAT is what I'm excited about.

And that’s not what we’re doing...

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Are you under the impression we’re wearing masks for our OWN protection?  Other people wearing masks is what has protected kids 10 and under this whole time (using those guidelines).

Come on, don't be condescending, LOL. EVERY SINGLE ADULT WHO WANTS THE VACCINE WILL HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE DONE SO BY NOW. So, I skipped that data point intentionally. 25-30% of the population will refuse to get the vaccine regardless, so lifting the mandate June 2 isn't completely unreasonable.

Agreed.

That said, allowing those activities to happen in the first place flew directly in the face of all guidelines...

I was reminded every single day for 9 months and was even told by our beloved Governor that it's my responsibility as a teacher and coach to encourage ALL of my student athletes above that age to get the vaccine. I'm well aware. I also have a major issue with this from a liability standpoint and the fact that I, you know, actually go to doctors and pharmacists for my medical advice, not social studies teachers and football/baseball coaches.

you’re being obtuse.

No, I'm being sardonic to make the point that you lose credibility when masks have been proven to stop the spread and then simultaneously put on a dog and pony show for things like this. You can't pound the science drum on one hand and say it's "not political" and then simultaneously do stuff like this.

There wasn’t and isn’t a viable alternative.  

AND THAT IS ALL HE HAD TO SAY. Don't make up a bunch of garbage and sell me a steaming pile of crap that somehow schools aren't spreading it on your daily press conference. It's beyond insulting, and again, that's where you lose credibility.

Not everyone can do virtual and those who did found it atrocious in many cases.  Ask me how I know.

Ask me as well, I know too both as a parent and teacher. :) 

Realizing that isn’t a perfect solution for kids as it relates to education (and parents with childcare) is not the same as a mask mandate.  

Agreed

Masks have been the clearest and most obvious indication of a person’s sense of community and their general concern for the well-being of others I can think of offhand.

Getting a vaccine would be that as well I believe, but yes.

I’d rather wear a mask and protect others than not and put others at risk.  I question the moral compass of anyone who can’t get on board with something as simple as that (not saying that’s you).

Again, for me, it's not about masks, it's about everything else. It's about schools being closed. It's about businesses getting decimated. It's about the sociological impacts, the law of unintended consequences, etc.

And that’s not what we’re doing...

That is absolutely part of what we are doing.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I don't think it's theater I think there was too much pressure to not allow sports to be played and restaurants to open. The best option would have been no indoor dining and no sports until it was under control. Following a protocol should still happen when not actively doing one of these things we really shouldn't be doing but felt we had to for business or because of pressure.

I'm still not eating in a restaurant. I'll go in and pick up food but I'm not sharing air with unmasked humans for a long period of time just so I don't have to wash my own dishes or get my own ketchup.

We sorta half assed it but there was no way to get everyone on board to do it the right way anyway so we'll take some losses and maybe get better in the future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Come on, don't be condescending, LOL. EVERY SINGLE ADULT WHO WANTS THE VACCINE WILL HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE DONE SO BY NOW. So, I skipped that data point intentionally. 25-30% of the population will refuse to get the vaccine regardless, so lifting the mandate June 2 isn't completely unreasonable.

Right... but again, every child hasn’t.  Removing the masks that are to be on in public places is what has been protecting them from these hillbillies

I was reminded every single day for 9 months and was even told by our beloved Governor that it's my responsibility as a teacher and coach to encourage ALL of my student athletes above that age to get the vaccine. I'm well aware. I also have a major issue with this from a liability standpoint and the fact that I, you know, actually go to doctors and pharmacists for my medical advice, not social studies teachers and football/baseball coaches.

They’ve been giving it and it’s been widely ignore, especially by a specific 37%ish of the country.

No, I'm being sardonic to make the point that you lose credibility when masks have been proven to stop the spread and then simultaneously put on a dog and pony show for things like this. You can't pound the science drum on one hand and say it's "not political" and then simultaneously do stuff like this.

Of course it’s political.  It’s a half measure to appease anti-intellectuals who put their feelings above actual data.

AND THAT IS ALL HE HAD TO SAY. Don't make up a bunch of garbage and sell me a steaming pile of crap that somehow schools aren't spreading it on your daily press conference. It's beyond insulting, and again, that's where you lose credibility.

I’m not disagreeing, but what does this really have to do with removing mask mandates moving forward?

Ask me as well, I know too both as a parent and teacher. :) 

Agreed

Getting a vaccine would be that as well I believe, but yes.

For sure, but, as we know, we live in a world where “muh freedums” folks aren’t gonna do that either, hence needing to protect those who can’t be vaccinated.

Again, for me, it's not about masks, it's about everything else. It's about schools being closed. It's about businesses getting decimated. It's about the sociological impacts, the law of unintended consequences, etc.

That is absolutely part of what we are doing.

I mean, what is still closed near you?  Pretty much everything is up and rolling here. What businesses are still being severely limited?  I’m legit asking.