Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

50 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

(Should we tell him that the alcohol and tobacco age is now 21?)

Or that tobacco is 18.

Or that a driver's license is 16.

And that the age to be tried as an adult is 18, unless you're black and male, in which case it's anywhere from 11-13.

I think the bigger issue is that he's confused by the prospect of aging in general.

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Aren’t you a libertarian? This sounds like communism to me.  

Aside from the blanket statements I've made in the past saying that I'd fall into Quadrant 4 due to mostly beliefs about education, and this being an education issue notwithstanding, considering in this country your rights aren't effectively guaranteed until age 18, I'm not sure how that applies, especially given the context of what I stated above. I'll copy/paste:

Make it mutually beneficial, and I'd love to hear a lawyer's take, but the original lawsuit filed that paved the way for NIL was from Northwestern (Represent, nerds and B1G), effectively making it a collective bargaining and unionization issue, ergo the issue was NIL was being exploited BY the universities (and they were right) and video game industry (EA Sports...I also lament losing out on a great video game).

So, in theory, it should be a PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT from an employer (the university) and employee (the athlete) relationship, so these athletes should be considered employees of the universities that they represent.

So, IMO, as long as they are wearing ANY/ALL gear or signing merchandise with the schools' brands, they should 100% be seen as university EMPLOYEES, as those colleges/universities pay for and own branding (not getting into the weeds of Nike, Addidas, Newbalance, etc. here) and should also receive some compensation for that said branding. The same with videos in the university weight room(s), dorms, campus housing, fields, etc. It's the same as any employer who owns your "creative rights" post college. If I leave my employer, they have the right to keep everything that I've done/used...so there is a precedent and the same concept applies.

If a guy or girl wants to make a public appearance in "street clothes" and sign autographs that are not affiliated with the university or pictures with any of that gear on, that should then be monitored and branded as such, and violations should be enforced pertaining to both eligibility and monetary liability for the university kickback.

Not to get into partisan issues here, but there's ZERO protection for coaches as it is due to not having any real official unionization representation. All of the 6-8 different classes you have to take (Fundamentals of Coaching, First Aid, CPR, concussion, sudden cardiac arrest) are a pure CYA move by school districts.

You'd better hope your administrator/AD has your back or you're in real trouble. Thankfully that's been the case here for me, but you're 100% right.

There needs to be some protection(s) in place for schools and school employees before it completely ruins (even more so) high school/amateur athletics. Either they'll run out of coaches or this will become the Wild West of mercenary open enrollment/privatized recruiting with super schools whose athletes and parents run the show even more than they already do.

Oh and you'd need them to sign the waiver before tryouts occur, because those who get cut from teams or booted for other behavioral/academic issues will sue.

TBH, this could trickle into the classroom, and I can see it now:

Johnny flunks English.

Johnny becomes academically ineligible.

Johnny's parents SUE the English teacher for that F and ambiguous paper bad grades for lost income pertaining to NIL deals.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or that people younger than 14 have been tried (and convicted) as adults?

I figured that one was low hanging fruit.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Or that tobacco is 18.

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/retail-sales-tobacco-products/tobacco-21#:~:text=On Dec.,from 18 to 21 years.

On Dec. 20, 2019, the President signed legislation amending the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and raising the federal minimum age for sale of tobacco products from 18 to 21 years. This legislation (known as “Tobacco 21” or “T21”) became effective immediately, and it is now illegal for a retailer to sell any tobacco product—including cigarettes, cigars, and e-cigarettes—to anyone under 21. The new federal minimum age of sale applies to all retail establishments and persons with no exceptions. 

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Low key I was also behind this curve and just realized this about a year ago

Or that a driver's license is 16.

And that the age to be tried as an adult is 18, unless you're black and male, in which case it's anywhere from 11-13.

I think the bigger issue is that he's confused by the prospect of aging in general.

I feel like we are really missing out on banging against the absurd rental car ageism that is running rampant in this country.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm just proud that we all skipped over the wildly offensive your/you're screwup in the original. Baby steps.

...sadly I had that typed up earlier and deleted it. He did it TWICE. 

...I mean...what?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Low key I was also behind this curve and just realized this about a year ago

That's how you know I'm old. Or that people aren't smoking anymore. Either way, that's hilarious. The most stopped clock in American history was still right once in 4 years.

• Like 1

That's how you know I'm old. Or that people aren't smoking anymore. Either way, that's hilarious. The most stopped clock in American history was still right once in 4 years.

Being a HS teacher and seeing the vape epidemic running rampant in this building among 14-18 year olds is truly eye opening. The gray area for advertising to minors, especially on social media, is nothing short of alarming. Nobody smokes or dips anymore, and smokeless tobacco was easily my biggest area of enforcement even 5 years ago as both a coach and teacher. Today is NONEXISTANT. 

And it's legitimately taken years for me to even see the signs...as a matter of fact, a few years ago kids were charging those vape sticks and telling older teachers they were USBs (the funny part is the kids have Chromebooks and don't even have USB ports LOL LOL LOL) but in those teachers' defense, half of them are 55+ and legitimately clueless on that.

We need(ed) consistent up to date meetings for things like that as opposed to other more archaic ones. 

• Like 1

Oh my god, Nick Saban and greyshirts as feed.

I KNEW you were the man for the job.

"A four or five star 220 pound 18 year old gray shirt, could feed, on average...half of a MAC offense..."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Being a HS teacher and seeing the vape epidemic running rampant in this building among 14-18 year olds is truly eye opening. The gray area for advertising to minors, especially on social media, is nothing short of alarming. Nobody smokes or dips anymore, and smokeless tobacco was easily my biggest area of enforcement even 5 years ago as both a coach and teacher. Today is NONEXISTANT. 

And it's legitimately taken years for me to even see the signs...as a matter of fact, a few years ago kids were charging those vape sticks and telling older teachers they were USBs (the funny part is the kids have Chromebooks and don't even have USB ports LOL LOL LOL) but in those teachers' defense, half of them are 55+ and legitimately clueless on that.

We need(ed) consistent up to date meetings for things like that as opposed to other more archaic ones. 

As long as they aren't swapping from regular cigs to e-cigs, it's not that big a deal IMO. There's some research on the long term issues, and I'm sure some of the manufacturing is dog****, but comparatively for how teenagers destroy their bodies it's meh.

The big issue with e-cigs is that they dose a ton more nicotine than a regular cig, if someone uses them to quit and fail, they typically don't go back to smoking what they were beforehand, they end up smoking more after relapse. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I KNEW you were the man for the job.

"A four or five star 220 pound 18 year old gray shirt, could feed, on average...half of a MAC offense..."

Mac Jones is the Judas steer. Dude has contributed to so many doe-eyed 19 year old low 4 stars getting slaughtered.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

As long as they aren't swapping from regular cigs to e-cigs, it's not that big a deal IMO. There's some research on the long term issues, and I'm sure some of the manufacturing is dog****, but comparatively for how teenagers destroy their bodies it's meh.

The big issue with e-cigs is that they dose a ton more nicotine than a regular cig, if someone uses them to quit and fail, they typically don't go back to smoking what they were beforehand, they end up smoking more after relapse. 

The issue is the "homemade vape liquid" that kids are selling and using.

• Like 1

Some things change, but kids making drugs themselves won't.

The "why is this kid with 6 F's still coming to school????" question from older teachers will never cease to amaze me, as though they don't understand basic marketing.

• Like 1