Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

56 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The national average retirement age is 62. You should not be able to run for any position of power in office at any level (specifically president) if you are over that age. That is a law that needs to get passed through the system, like ASAP.

You brain function starts to slow down after age 60 (proven research, sorry @NudeTayne), so why the hell are can you possibly be deemed fit to be the most powerful person on the planet, or even at state/local levels at age 65, 70, 72.

Nope, get it out of here. Every politician should be between the age of 30-60 for optimal decision making, brain function and being in touch with modern climates/issues.

Like, I hate crapping on elderly people, but by and large they’re just not going to be able to keep up with the requirements of the job.  Don’t believe me?  Look around you.  Spend a day with an 80 year old doing errands and daily tasks.  

And let’s just be honest, I don’t have faith that 80 year old politicians are terribly concerned about what’s gonna happen in 20-30 years as they’re not gonna be here.

If someone under 35 isn’t capable of doing the job, it’s laughable to think an octogenarian is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

No joke me and my coworkers literally had this conversation last week and said that verbatim.

Everyone has that conversation, and here we are. Two dudes who have goo for brains, and have for a while now, are going to be the nominees IN TWO YEARS.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Everyone has that conversation, and here we are. Two dudes who have goo for brains, and have for a while now, are going to be the nominees IN TWO YEARS.

And I thought 2016 was the partisan low point for each.

• Like 2

I think it is dumb that the president of the usa makes 400k or whatever. Make it 15 million per year and I think better decisions will be made. 

Everyone seems to leverage the position with favors to male 10s of millions. The Obama's, the Bushs, the Clinton's and the Trumps all have shady dealings.

New zealands prime minister has a new worth north of 20 million and has only ever had a salary of a few 100k and comes from humble beginnings. After she leaves she has such a high profile and such a great image she will be able to sell oil to saudi

They are all corrupt.

Edited by Kiwibrown

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Found this for the Browns proposal...which stands about a 4% chance of actually happening

QCA6OFRRJZABDGZIKCZBS47N2M.png

43R4MH5JPZA47N7QPSM2SKHS2I.png

2GNAJ3R4GBFG7CGNCIMWCVUY7I.png

SISNKLPKP5FQBALZCXHA5V4E7I.png

They probably paid 5x what we would charge for these renderings that look like pedestrian horse crap.

such a crappy production to use for a sales pitch/fundraiser.

step your game up, whatever firm you are.

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Even if they are all small, if they are able to keep 500 students from each university to stay downtown after graduation, thats adding 1,500 people per year just off of young grads. In 5-10 years time that is a big number. They just need a reason to actually stay after graduation.

How many of those 500 each are a generic art or art history major though.

I think much of this may be attributed to the wrong recent graduates are the ones that are staying.

I say this with a very limited knowledge of what these schools actually produce non-stem related 

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think it is dumb that the president of the usa makes 400k or whatever. Make it 15 million per year and I think better decisions will be made. 

Everyone seems to leverage the position with favors to male 10s of millions. The Obama's, the Bushs, the Clinton's and the Trumps all have shady dealings.

New zealands prime minister has a new worth north of 20 million and has only ever had a salary of a few 100k and comes from humble beginnings. After she leaves she has such a high profile and such a great image she will be able to sell oil to saudi

They are all corrupt.

I mean, they’re all corrupt, sure, but I don’t see the salary as being a factor.

Hell Bush was loaded af before becoming president.  

Smart people don’t want the job because they can run hedge funds and make hundreds of millions or billions if that’s their goal.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, they’re all corrupt, sure, but I don’t see the salary as being a factor.

Hell Bush was loaded af before becoming president.  

Smart people don’t want the job because they can run hedge funds and make hundreds of millions or billions if that’s their goal.

I agree but if you could make 30 million as a ceo would you be the prez for 400k or would you think about it for 15 million? 

Assuming you have some good intentions.

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

I agree but if you could make 30 million as a ceo would you be the prez for 400k or would you think about it for 15 million? 

Assuming you have some good intentions.

I mean, the money comes after either way.

The salary is irrelevant.  When you’re in office you don’t even spend cash, everything is paid for.  When you’re out, you write some books, get paid to do speaking events, etc.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, the money comes after either way.

The salary is irrelevant.  When you’re in office you don’t even spend cash, everything is paid for.  When you’re out, you write some books, get paid to do speaking events, etc.

My understanding is the speaking events are tied to the favors you make in office. Or the the favors you can do once you are out with intelligence. Kushner still draws a ton of intelligence down and did a ton in office.

Book sales dont generate a ton of money for a lot of politicians, Jill bidens hasnt. The Obama's are more an exception than rule.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Only thing I disagree with people sometimes when they crap on politicians:

People have no idea how ungodly hard it is to be president. I don’t care who it is. Nobody on this site could do the job. I’m not saying do a better job, but actually do the job.

None of us have any earthly idea the amount of threats a president gets every second of every day.

None of us are mentally or emotionally strong enough to handle the euphoria of people cheering for us and the other 50% hating us.

None of us (maybe some) are comfortable with making a life or death decision. Now try to imagine the scale in which they deal with.

None of us are comfortable with talking to the media. Maybe we can do 1-2 interviews with some small local news, but not media that broadcasts live to a million people.

None of us are prepared to deal with the full ramifications of international affairs. Let’s be honest, the entire world watches what a United States President says and does.

You have to be mentally off to want to be president.

Piece of cake if you live in the moment.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There are some who have enough that they just want to see things done right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bruceb said:

There are some who have enough that they just want to see things done right.

This is pure speculation, but I would really like to see a women in that seat. I think its overdue and I wonder if that type of change of pace would be better for the country and sort of settle things down and cut the tension a bit.

The last 6+ years have largely been a giant **** measuring contest by a bunch of old men and I wonder if a female being in office would bring a different.......energy? confidence? Different level of productivity?