Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If we can get term limits on Congress, sign me up. Unfortunately Congress has to vote for that. The irony...LOL

Unless it is done by Constitutional amendment(s) through a convention of the states.

Even then, though, state legislatures must ratify the amendments.

The political establishment's second line of defense.

People really underestimate Ohio and other parts of the Midwest when it comes to cost of living and access to things like quality education, accessibility for a commute, ease of travel, etc.

I am an hour from Cincinnati, less than an hour from Columbus, and 2 hours from Indianapolis. 

I also am within a few hours from one of the best medical centers in the nation.

I feel bad for those of you who don’t think Ohio is a nice state. Big picture here people. Hard to beat the infrastructure and other perks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Andrew Yang had a stat 80% of people don't like their congress person, and they have a 93% reelection rate. 

rigged deck 

73% of statistics blah blah blah

34 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Unless it is done by Constitutional amendment(s) through a convention of the states.

Even then, though, state legislatures must ratify the amendments.

The political establishment's second line of defense.

The second line of defense is not as formidable as it seems at first blush, though.

In many states, the legislatures can be bypassed by putting ratification on the ballot through initiative and referendum.

Just a longer row to hoe.

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Andrew Yang had a stat 80% of people don't like their congress person, and they have a 93% reelection rate. 

rigged deck 

I’m 100% certain an overwhelming majority of people don’t even know who their congressperson is, let alone whether they like them or not.

People vote for their favorite team here, not actual policy and that’s the issue imo.

The two party system is horrific, but “you'd better vote for us or they’ll win and it will get even worse”. It’s a race to the bottom imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JDD said:

73% of statistics blah blah blah

I'm misquoting the numbers not the intent, Andrew Yang cited something like that when he was on his campaign. I liked a lot fo what he had to say 

In nz we kind of have a two party system in a representative democracy, and neither side is willing to solve problems. It's an old boys club, but somewhat diverse.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm misquoting the numbers not the intent, Andrew Yang cited something like that when he was on his campaign. I liked a lot fo what he had to say 

In we kind of have a two party system in a representative democracy, and neither side is willing to solve problems. It's an old boys club, but somewhat diverse.

Yeah well heres the real kick in the knockers. 

George Washington, the founding father of this country, 1st president and commander during the American Revolution--you might have heard of him-- said in his farewell address the two things that could tear this country apart and the ideas they set in place are *drumroll please* ::::

1) A bi-partisan government where people choose loyalty to party over nation

2) Poor foreign relations, specifically wars.

Guess what, we went and did BOTH is spades baby!! We start wars, we end wars, we get involved in things across the sea all the time, half of the planet hates us and we are more divided politically than we ever been where people think with their party and not their own brain.

Good job

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m 100% certain an overwhelming majority of people don’t even know who their congressperson is, let alone whether they like them or not.

People vote for their favorite team here, not actual policy and that’s the issue imo.

The two party system is horrific, but “you'd better vote for us or they’ll win and it will get even worse”. It’s a race to the bottom imo.

I unfortunately know who mine is and he’s gone from qualified to various cheating scandals ranging in scumminess to having lost a step cognitively. He presented an award at our school and forgot our principals name, called another teacher a wrong name that he’s known 20+ years, and legitimately has processing delays at this point.

Then again, maybe he’s ready to be the leader of the country as the last 6 years have shown.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I unfortunately know who mine is and he’s gone from qualified to various cheating scandals ranging in scumminess to having lost a step cognitively. He presented an award at our school and forgot our principals name, called another teacher a wrong name that he’s known 20+ years, and legitimately has processing delays at this point.

Then again, maybe he’s ready to be the leader of the country as the last 6 years have shown.

The national average retirement age is 62. You should not be able to run for any position of power in office at any level (specifically president) if you are over that age. That is a law that needs to get passed through the system, like ASAP.

You brain function starts to slow down after age 60 (proven research, sorry @NudeTayne), so why the hell are can you possibly be deemed fit to be the most powerful person on the planet, or even at state/local levels at age 65, 70, 72.

Nope, get it out of here. Every politician should be between the age of 30-60 for optimal decision making, brain function and being in touch with modern climates/issues.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Only thing I disagree with people sometimes when they crap on politicians:

People have no idea how ungodly hard it is to be president. I don’t care who it is. Nobody on this site could do the job. I’m not saying do a better job, but actually do the job.

None of us have any earthly idea the amount of threats a president gets every second of every day.

None of us are mentally or emotionally strong enough to handle the euphoria of people cheering for us and the other 50% hating us.

None of us (maybe some) are comfortable with making a life or death decision. Now try to imagine the scale in which they deal with.

None of us are comfortable with talking to the media. Maybe we can do 1-2 interviews with some small local news, but not media that broadcasts live to a million people.

None of us are prepared to deal with the full ramifications of international affairs. Let’s be honest, the entire world watches what a United States President says and does.

You have to be mentally off to want to be president.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The national average retirement age is 62. You should not be able to run for any position of power in office at any level (specifically president) if you are over that age. That is a law that needs to get passed through the system, like ASAP.

You brain function starts to slow down after age 60 (proven research, sorry @NudeTayne), so why the hell are can you possibly be deemed fit to be the most powerful person on the planet, or even at state/local levels at age 65, 70, 72.

Nope, get it out of here. Every politician should be between the age of 30-60 for optimal decision making, brain function and being in touch with modern climates/issues.

😃

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Idk, is he old enough?