Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Steak for eating as a cut medium / rare 

steak for tacos or sandwiches all the way through 

burgers medium to well is fine depending on they type of meat. 

Anyone have medium rare pork? I’ve heard people ask to order it that way.  Makes me want to vomit a bit. 

Medium rare to medium on steaks for me. 

This all reminds me, I have been talking about getting an extra chest freezer for years now and really need to do it and just order half a cow instead of getting beef at Kroger every week. 

• Like 4

On 5/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, JDD said:

Anyone have medium rare pork? I’ve heard people ask to order it that way.  Makes me want to vomit a bit. 

Steak for eating, needs to be medium rare. Steaks for anything else, like you said, to me it doesnt really matter cause to me its going to be hard to get it cooked the way you want when its smothered in a sauce or cooked with seasoning. like for mexican food or a chinese food. which doesnt matter cause the way its cooked is going to keep it from getting too tough or being tasteless.

Burgers for me have to be medium rare to medium. I hate when a burger is overcooked 

medium rare pork? might as well just ask for a side of parasites... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

He’s kinda right. If my parents need money, I’m immediately looking at states like Utah, California, and New York.

90% of the reason why I just quit my 15 year coaching career is because of PARENTS. Imagine parents after NIL goes through...and for the record, I guarantee the Supreme Court (state or fed) weighs in on this eventually.

Part of my ramblings/rantings on the subject:

On 5/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, MWil23 said:
On 5/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The path forward is to make them University employees

BINGO. Make it mutually beneficial, and I'd love to hear a lawyer's take, but the original lawsuit filed that paved the way for NIL was from Northwestern (Represent, nerds and B1G), effectively making it a collective bargaining and unionization issue, ergo the issue was NIL was being exploited BY the universities (and they were right) and video game industry (EA Sports...I also lament losing out on a great video game).

So, in theory, it should be a PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT from an employer (the university) and employee (the athlete) relationship, so these athletes should be considered employees of the universities that they represent.

So, IMO, as long as they are wearing ANY/ALL gear or signing merchandise with the schools' brands, they should 100% be seen as university EMPLOYEES, as those colleges/universities pay for and own branding (not getting into the weeds of Nike, Addidas, Newbalance, etc. here) and should also receive some compensation for that said branding. The same with videos in the university weight room(s), dorms, campus housing, fields, etc. It's the same as any employer who owns your "creative rights" post college. If I leave my employer, they have the right to keep everything that I've done/used...so there is a precedent and the same concept applies.

If a guy or girl wants to make a public appearance in "street clothes" and sign autographs that are not affiliated with the university or pictures with any of that gear on, that should then be monitored and branded as such, and violations should be enforced pertaining to both eligibility and monetary liability for the university kickback.

TL;DR

I should be the NCAA President

On 5/4/2022 at 7:44 AM, MWil23 said:

Oh and the Ohio Supreme Court is about to rule on this for HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES, meaning:

A. The same above should apply

B. I'm glad I officially submitted my letter of resignation a couple of months ago. Imagine "talking to" parents about playing time and cuts who then sue you for loss of income for NIL deals. If you coaches/former coaches thought it was miserable dealing with parents in the past, buckle up. WHAT A JOKE.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:22 AM, MWil23 said:
On 5/4/2022 at 7:58 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I say this with zero emotional response to how absurd what I'm about to write is.

Your school district should consult a lawyer to draft a waiver that kids would have to sign in order to play releasing them from any suits or loss of income. Hell, you'd probably need to get kids and parents to sign it since they'll turn 18 as seniors and won't be minors anymore.

What a ****show.

Not to get into partisan issues here, but there's ZERO protection for coaches as it is due to not having any real official unionization representation. All of the 6-8 different classes you have to take (Fundamentals of Coaching, First Aid, CPR, concussion, sudden cardiac arrest) are a pure CYA move by school districts.

You'd better hope your administrator/AD has your back or you're in real trouble. Thankfully that's been the case here for me, but you're 100% right.

There needs to be some protection(s) in place for schools and school employees before it completely ruins (even more so) high school/amateur athletics. Either they'll run out of coaches or this will become the Wild West of mercenary open enrollment/privatized recruiting with super schools whose athletes and parents run the show even more than they already do.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, MWil23 said:

Oh and @ramssuperbowl99 you'd need them to sign the waiver before tryouts occur, because those who get cut from teams or booted for other behavioral/academic issues will sue.

TBH, this could trickle into the classroom, and I can see it now:

Johnny flunks English.

Johnny becomes academically ineligible.

Johnny's parents SUE the English teacher for that F and ambiguous paper bad grades for lost income pertaining to NIL deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

He’s kinda right. If my parents need money, I’m immediately looking at states like Utah, California, and New York.

This is also on the NCAA to set a process where HS kids could start making NLI money. Kids who are worth anything would be able to commit early enough that specific HS advertising dollars wouldn't be the main piece of the pie.

And from there, each HSAA would be able to change their requirements to say "meet the NCAA financial eligibility standards". Done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is also on the NCAA to set a process where HS kids could start making NLI money. Kids who are worth anything would be able to commit early enough that specific HS advertising dollars wouldn't be the main piece of the pie.

And from there, each HSAA would be able to change their requirements to say "meet the NCAA financial eligibility standards". Done.

Yeah, I mean, registering for the NCAA Clearinghouse is still a thing, and it was archaic back when I did it *mumbles incoherently* years ago

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, JDD said:

DAMNIT!!!! I missed the steak talk...and I feel like I should have been part of that conversation LOL.

Steaks Nothing above medium...and that depends on the quality and Cut of beef, something "Low Quality" would eat it medium...out of the the typical grocery store, medium rare. If its something out of a specialty store then Rare, if its personally sourced something special (A5 Miyazaki Beef, like I had for mothers day) then Cigarette lighter for 30 seconds per side...(not that crazy, but you get the point). 

Hamburgers, go custom grind 77%/23%, cook them medium over the hottest flame you can get on your grill of choice.

As far as cooking pork below well done (not going below Medium), there are two cases, one is with good quality bacon when making a Bacon Butty to watch with the Premier League Soccer match on Sat Mornings, and if its certain cuts of Kurobuta pork.....like a Pork Steak Grilled, or a thick cut Pork Chop on the Grill.....not Ground Pork, or a Ham/Shoulder.  

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

DAMNIT!!!! I missed the steak talk...and I feel like I should have been part of that conversation LOL.

Steaks Nothing above medium...and that depends on the quality and Cut of beef, something "Low Quality" would eat it medium...out of the the typical grocery store, medium rare. If its something out of a specialty store then Rare, if its personally sourced something special (A5 Miyazaki Beef, like I had for mothers day) then Cigarette lighter for 30 seconds per side...(not that crazy, but you get the point)

Super Troopers Good Job GIF by Searchlight Pictures

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So now we are at the point where 14 year old HS kids are complaining about not getting money......

GTFO with that.

If your not of age to be tried as a Adult in a trial, buy tobacco/alcohol or get your drivers license--then your not of age to be getting paid for being a 'athlete'

#getoffmylawn

Edited by AkronsWitness

29 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So now we are at the point where 14 year old HS kids are complaining about not getting money......

GTFO with that.

If your not of age to be tried as a Adult in a trial, buy tobacco/alcohol or get your drivers license--then your not of age to be getting paid for being a 'athlete'

#getoffmylawn

(Should we tell him that the alcohol and tobacco age is now 21?)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

(Should we tell him that the alcohol and tobacco age is now 21?)

Im aware and that is my point. How are you old enough to get paid for HS sports but not old enough to buy a pack of cigs or buy a 6 pack....or drive a car.....or be viewed as an adult by the government.\

Im all for paying and doing NIL deals for college athletes--but High School is just stupid.

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im aware and that is my point. How are you old enough to get paid for HS sports but not old enough to buy a pack of cigs or buy a 6 pack....or drive a car.....or be viewed as an adult by the government.\

Im all for paying and doing NIL deals for college athletes--but High School is just stupid.

HS athletes getting paid is beyond stupid IMO for a bunch of reasons I listed above.