Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Just now, MWil23 said:

To be honest, if you look at the California example, Columbus is home to one of the top Universities in the entire Midwest for research, medical, etc. and the largest state university in the nation, unless you include Arizona State's satellite campuses.

It's a hotbed for young people who are at the top(s) of their fields landing big jobs. 

True true, but doesnt Cleveland have that on a smaller scale with Case Western, John Carroll and Baldin Wallace who are considered 3 of the best universities for research and medicine? I know they are nowhere near the size of OSU but they are all private "We churn out very smart people" universities for advancements in research and medicine.

IDK, I guess Im just surprised nothing has grown or nothing new has happened in multiple decades with the overall direction of Cleveland post-industry and manufacturing. Trying to find answers past 'politicians are lazy ******s"

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or…

we just vote them out.

But we’re not gonna do that either.

One of my favorite Simpson's lines ever:

Alien 1 (Republican: You have to vote for one of us! (campaigning to enslave humanity)

Alien 2 (Democrat: Campaigning to enslave humanity): *Laughs maniacally*

Random guy in crowd: I'll just vote 3rd party!!!!

Alien 2: *Laughs hard*: GO AHEAD...THROW YOUR VOTE AWAY!!!!!

*The next day all of humanity is enslaved to the aliens*

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

True true, but doesnt Cleveland have that on a smaller scale with Case Western, John Carroll and Baldin Wallace who are considered 3 of the best universities for research and medicine? I know they are nowhere near the size of OSU but they are all private "We churn out very smart people" universities for advancements in research and medicine.

Aren't all 3 of those private institutions?

Case Western: 5,150 students

John Carrol: 3,650 students

Baldwin Wallace: 2,860 students

The Ohio State University:

There are 61,369 students including 46,984 undergraduate and 14,385 graduate students at Ohio State University-Main Campus for academic year 2020-2021.

Yeah, huge difference

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

IDK, I guess Im just surprised nothing has grown or nothing new has happened in multiple decades with the overall direction of Cleveland post-industry and manufacturing. Trying to find answers past 'politicians are lazy ******s"

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Aren't all 3 of those private institutions?

Case Western: 5,150 students

John Carrol: 3,650 students

Baldwin Wallace: 2,860 students

The Ohio State University:

Yeah, huge difference

Even if they are all small, if they are able to keep 500 students from each university to stay downtown after graduation, thats adding 1,500 people per year just off of young grads. In 5-10 years time that is a big number. They just need a reason to actually stay after graduation.

The issue isn’t taxes imo.  It’s who’s paying these taxes and what we as a society are getting for our money.

Im happy to pay high taxes if the ROI is worth it.  We aren’t very efficient though.

That said, I personally don’t see many solutions to a lot of the issues from the private sector.

The frustrating part is we don’t even have to be creative or innovative to solve the problems.  We just have to do what other countries who are better at this stuff than us do.

But we won’t do that either.

• Like 1

Also Cleveland has one of the largest medical / research hospitals. But they didn’t expand on that.  Making it the headquarters for insurance companies and lots of other companies around those fields.  They wanted to keep the blue collar jobs instead of improving both ends. 

I’m not trying to start this argument but look at the big union cities outside of Chicago. Most are in the same situation. Hell Pittsburgh had a huge change years ago and Cleveland could have snatched a lot of those companies I’m sure. 

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Found this for the Browns proposal...which stands about a 4% chance of actually happening

QCA6OFRRJZABDGZIKCZBS47N2M.png

43R4MH5JPZA47N7QPSM2SKHS2I.png

2GNAJ3R4GBFG7CGNCIMWCVUY7I.png

SISNKLPKP5FQBALZCXHA5V4E7I.png

That’ll never happen. Also downtown Lake Erie will never be clean enough for anyone to want to paddle board in. 

30 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

That’ll never happen. Also downtown Lake Erie will never be clean enough for anyone to want to paddle board in. 

ehhh Lake Erie isnt that dirty. It struggles with algae problems on occasion but the root of the problem is that Erie is the shallowest great lake and it is also mud bottom, whereas Superior and Michigan are far more sandy which makes the water appear more clear.

You can literally jump out of a boat, swim down and touch the bottom of Lake Erie even at its deepest points (if your in shape lol) Its only 180-210 ft. To put that in prospective Superior is 1,200-1,300 ft. at its deepest points.

This makes the water near shores and populated areas appear 'dirty' when in reality its just kick up from the bottom from all of the boat traffic.

Go out on Lake Erie in March before all of the boats get out there for the season. Erie is crystal clear and blue an blue can get after winter and the ice melts w/ no boat traffic. 

If I could figure out how to upload a pic from my phone I would show you, its unreal to see and believe. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

ehhh Lake Erie isnt that dirty. It struggles with algae problems on occasion but the root of the problem is that Erie is the shallowest great lake and it is also mud bottom, whereas Superior and Michigan are far more sandy which makes the water appear more clear.

You can literally jump out of a boat, swim down and touch the bottom of Lake Erie even at its deepest points (if your in shape lol) Its only 180-210 ft. To put that in prospective Superior is 1,200-1,300 ft. at its deepest points.

This makes the water near shores and populated areas appear 'dirty' when in reality its just kick up from the bottom from all of the boat traffic.

Go out on Lake Erie in March before all of the boats get out there for the season. Erie is crystal clear and blue an blue can get after winter and the ice melts w/ no boat traffic. 

If I could figure out how to upload a pic from my phone I would show you, its unreal to see and believe. 

Downtown Lake Erie is nothing like the rest of it. Downtown and along the shoreline is disgusting. 

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

100% correct. Nobody disrespects our giant puddle. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

100% correct. Nobody disrespects our giant puddle. 

big *** puddle lol It is wild how shallow it really is though, you can take your boat out quite a ways and you look at the range finder and your only in like 28 ft. deep water.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My buddies and I were saying the same **** you just said 20 years ago.

@bruceb and his friends prolly 20 years before that.

The solution isn’t even tricky, they just don’t do anything.

And then some.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah and isnt that what makes places like California and Texas so popular for all of these companies want to do business in?

California? Are you kidding? Businesses are leaving CA. Hyper-regulation, taxes and cost-of-living.

TX is somewhat a smoke-and-mirrors tease. No income tax but local taxes through the roof.

My son and his wife pay more in local taxes than they pay on their home mortgage for a not inexpensive house.