Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How both parties have found a way to systematically ignore the 88% of this country in a majority rules form of government is the greatest con ever pulled off. Keyzer Sose lays awake jealous every night.

Yeah there’s so much stuff that polls >60-65% that isn’t a law for no reason other than a few hundred individuals refuse to do anything about it.

And like, maybe we need to update some things. When the half a million voices in WY have an quality voice in the senate to the 40 million people in CA, there’s a problem.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Yup. There's countless things that Biden could do that would be extremely popular among voters (both liberal and conservative), like provide healthcare for all, forgive a substantial amount of student debt, and to stop interfering in places like the Middle East and Africa to name just a few. But he's not doing those things. And it's either due to incompetence or because those special interest groups don't want those things to happen (I'm very certain it's 95% due to the latter).

M4A isn’t a presidential choice, that requires actual legislation.  I mean, he doesn’t support it anyway so it’s a moot point lol, but even if he did he couldn’t. 

Student loan debt? Yeah he could do something.  Not gonna it seems. 

No one is gonna do anything tbh.  We’re gonna keep electing these people and letting them get rich and they’ll continue to do absolutely goddam nothing.

Those lobbyist pay well.  They’re the reason we have a 1970’s stance on energy and infrastructure, our lack of gun regulation, private insurance, etc.  Those aren’t what the majority of voters want. 

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Facts. Never been interested in politics until 2016 where I was basically forced to be interested. Since then I have basically seen how politicians function and its sickening. 

Two main factors. First, the amount of ****** you can apparently get away with if you are a politician is truly 'above the law'. Like how many of these politicians have criminal records that were never punished?? Trump has a long enough rap sheet with sexual assaults, aiding an insurrection, tax evasion, ect to put him in prison for the rest of his life but NO court or jury will charge him.

There is another senator who has child sex trafficking charges but he is still walking free. Others who have taken millions from foreign groups (illegally) and are still just out here doing their job. Many many many others with similar stuff. Its basically just a giant group of above the law criminals who run politics.

Secondly, the absolute blatantly obvious corruption by the NRA. The NRA just sits over here and gives millions of dollars to politicians so they can turn around and strengthen the gun lobby and support/sign policies to keep guns in the hands of millions of Americans so they stay aflot. 

It literally just happened with DeWine. He received more money from the NRA than ANY state politician and now we have laws where anybody can carry with no training and teachers have guns. You have large organizations out here basically manipulating laws and using state politicians as their puppets to get the lawmakers they want to pass by lining their pockets.

Politics are so corrupt man. So corrupt. They do not have the best interest of anybody in mind besides themselves personally and how much money they can make by accepting cash to push certain policies. 

The NRA is just the tip of the iceberg. Big Pharma is every bit as bad. We are the only country in the western world who allows open advertising. Lobbyists are awful all around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yup. There's countless things that Biden could do that would be extremely popular among voters (both liberal and conservative), like provide healthcare for all, forgive a substantial amount of student debt, and to stop interfering in places like the Middle East and Africa to name just a few. But he's not doing those things. And it's either due to incompetence or because those special interest groups don't want those things to happen (I'm very certain it's 95% due to the latter).

I’m his defense, he clearly has no idea where or who he is at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

M4A isn’t a presidential choice, that requires actual legislation.  I mean, he doesn’t support it anyway so it’s a moot point lol, but even if he did he couldn’t. 

No one is gonna do anything tbh.  We’re gonna keep electing these people and letting them get rich and they’ll continue to do absolutely goddam nothing.

Those lobbyist pay well.  They’re the reason we have a 1970’s stance on energy and infrastructure, our lack of gun regulation, private insurance, etc.  Those aren’t what the majority of voters want. 

I could definitely be wrong, but I think I've read the president could do that through executive order. Either way, you're right. It's a popular policy even among conservatives, yet our politicians won't allow it since it would hurt big pharma and the insurance industries.

Rumors are that he might forgive $10,000 in student debt. Obviously better than nothing, but he could do a lot more, especially with inflation being so out of control right now. But we'll probably just get crumbs, per usual.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yes I heard that they are going to ban cellphones and cameras to much shooting. 

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah there’s so much stuff that polls >60-65% that isn’t a law for no reason other than a few hundred individuals refuse to do anything about it.

And like, maybe we need to update some things. When the half a million voices in WY have an quality voice in the senate to the 40 million people in CA, there’s a problem.

90% of Americans support background checks for firearms.

90% of Americans favor permanent DST.

Over 75% of Americans have polled to be negatively impacted by inflation and gas prices.

TBH I have zero issue with the senatorial equality given the legislative House of Representatives balancing that out. What I have issues with are Congress willfully not working, having inflated salaries and expense accounts with guaranteed pensions, exemptions for themselves for laws they pass for everyone else, and not having any accountability or term limits, which THEY have to pass LOL.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I could definitely be wrong, but I think I've read the president could do that through executive order. Either way, you're right. It's a popular policy even among conservatives, yet our politicians won't allow it since it would hurt big pharma and the insurance industries.

Rumors are that he might forgive $10,000 in student debt. Obviously better than nothing, but he could do a lot more, especially with inflation being so out of control right now. But we'll probably just get crumbs, per usual.

Executive order is the wrong way because it isn't law. If he signs that in 2 years it could be gone. When you sign something like M4A and don't have it go through the house and senate it can just we wiped away. Going through the right way means you need a super majority in both to get it taken away.

I'm against the student loan forgiveness. Not because of the reason to buy votes, because they don't have a way to fix the issue. In 20 years we will be in the same spot we are in today and then we will have to wipe away the issue. Also I find it funny that you are talking inflation then you say wipe away billions of dollars. 

• Like 4

Guns protect banks, politicians, and the wealthy. They should be protecting my kids and yours. Doors should be locked. Put a cop or at least retired armed LEO in every school with a radio for backup. When **** goes down, ask yourself if you are glad a good guy does or does not have a weapon.

• Like 2

And as far as the Texas screwup, not all departments were created equally. They turned an active shooter situation into a barricade. Was done so poorly. Would not have happened at 90% of places, they got tunnel vision and were clearly poorly trained. Shame bc it minimizes all the times the responses end the threat. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Guns protect banks, politicians, and the wealthy. They should be protecting my kids and yours. Doors should be locked. Put a cop or at least retired armed LEO in every school with a radio for backup. When **** goes down, ask yourself if you are glad a good guy does or does not have a weapon.

Wholeheartedly agree, as long as that armed individual isn’t the same dude who gets anxiety when a parent emails him or her about Johnnys math grade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Wholeheartedly agree, as long as that armed individual isn’t the same dude who gets anxiety when a parent emails him or her about Johnnys math grade.

Yes I am moreso referring to having a trained occupational professional in there and not just your guy who wants to be cool but teaches science for a living. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I could definitely be wrong, but I think I've read the president could do that through executive order.

It would have to be budgeted for, so congress would have to ok it.  Neither congress or the current administration would though.

Either way, you're right. It's a popular policy even among conservatives, yet our politicians won't allow it since it would hurt big pharma and the insurance industries.

Yep.  

There’s a reason we’re the only developed nation without single payer and it’s not American exceptionalism.

10k is a start, sure.  A good faith gesture that an effort is being made.

Of course other countries simply provide college education to its citizens…

Here we let people take our loans for 10’s of thousands of dollars so they can be trained to do jobs that are essential to a functioning society and they they spend decades doing those jobs to pay off the loans.  Great stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yes I am moreso referring to having a trained occupational professional in there and not just your guy who wants to be cool but teaches science for a living. 

There are over 130,000 schools in this country. How long do you think it would take to create that position of 'good guy with a gun' at every single one of them.

I would also argue that 1 guy isnt stopping a planned attack before its too late.

Edited by AkronsWitness

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TBH I have zero issue with the senatorial equality

but it’s not really equality though, it’s inequality to voters.  We have a 50/50 split in the senate now but one party represents 40 million more voters.  That’s not equality, it’s a rigged system.

given the legislative House of Representatives balancing that out.

It’s an issue when bills die before ever seeing the senate floor after being passed in the house.

What I have issues with are Congress willfully not working, having inflated salaries and expense accounts with guaranteed pensions, exemptions for themselves for laws they pass for everyone else, and not having any accountability or term limits, which THEY have to pass LOL.

Oh yeah