Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Or maybe the federal government can pony up some dough from the 17x military budget of the second place country in the world, no?

no argument from me there.

Removing protection from lawsuits that gun manufacturers have is a good place to start. Since we apparently don’t value the lives of kids and teachers maybe people will listen to green.

I know a lot of people like this, I don’t.  Gun manufacturers are simply doing what they’re allowed to do.  Blaming them is just another example of passing the buck imo.  Pass actual laws and regulate ownership to some degree.  “Well regulated” is a thing, it’s in the damned amendment people like to cite lol.

So is the “mental health” without a tangible solution rhetoric. Here’s a thought:

If you or a family member or individual is diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder, or other mental health issue, you forfeit your second amendment right. It’s the price you pay for everyone else’s safety, and I’d give up my gun(s) in a heartbeat and will do so voluntarily if it ever comes to that.

I’d start with just making sure everyone has access to mental healthcare.  When politicians say “it’s a mental health concern” and then cut funding for mental health, some might think they’re either being disingenuous or simply don’t care.

• Like 1

Every school has ways to put safety measures in place though. And part of it is his mayoral staff works with public funded LEO resources. Don’t let dudes just walk in unchecked while school is in session. That’s a good start.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Bingo! Evaluate education in terms of expenses is a terrible societal issue.

I also find it odd that many of the same people who want to arm teachers also think teachers are forcing a particular political ideology on their kids.

“Teachers, both so trustworthy we should arm them in class around children, and so untrustworthy we should record them at all times to make sure they don’t teach our children facts that make me big mad”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Every school has ways to put safety measures in place though. And part of it is his mayoral staff works with public funded LEO resources. Don’t let dudes just walk in unchecked while school is in session. That’s a good start.

100%.  But we’re back to the idea that if we need an armed guard and a metal detector at every elementary school in the country, maybe it’s time for more drastic measures.

Not to say those can’t be part of the solution, but they can’t be the whole solution.

Nothing will change until one or two things happens:

-a child or grandchild of an influential republican senator in a southern state dies in a school shooting

-a school shooting magnitudes worse than anything we’ve seen before happens and the backlash is way worse than anything we’ve seen. Like 200-300 children killed in one attack with an automatic weapon

Eventually one of these things will happen.

Until then then the senate is perfectly happy allowing a few hundred students to die every year. It’s the status quo and it’s republican senators job to protect that. 

They’ve already budgeted 200-400 kids dying a year into their 5 year plans. 

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know a lot of people like this, I don’t.  Gun manufacturers are simply doing what they’re allowed to do.  Blaming them is just another example of passing the buck imo.  Pass actual laws and regulate ownership to some degree.  “Well regulated” is a thing, it’s in the damned amendment people like to cite lol.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So my solution would be first to give tangible definitions as to what “military style” means, because watching some dude or lady who has clearly never fired or held a weapon lecture the rest of us on what that means is hilariously ineffective.

Citizens don’t have access to hand grenades, tanks, or RPG’s, so there is a precedent in place to some degree on the whole “well regulated militia” component. Any other excuse is pure laziness IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Nothing will change until one or two things happens:

-a child or grandchild of an influential republican senator in a southern state dies in a school shooting

You’ve seen Sons of Anarchy too huh?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

a school shooting magnitudes worse than anything we’ve seen before happens and the backlash is way worse than anything we’ve seen. Like 200-300 children killed in one attack with an automatic weapon

I don’t think the average person realizes why Columbine was such a big deal. If those transmitters weren’t defective hundreds die by those well made pipe bombs and other explosives. The fact that event wasn’t a wake up call is truly beyond me.

Think of how hard it is to enact positive change

Since the start of the war in Afghanistan 2500 Americans died there and almost every year there were 15+ 

Biden pulls us out and 13 people die. He’s attacked in media for a long time and labeled a murderer.

But if he did nothing you know 13+ are dying that year anyway. And 13+ the year after. And 13+ the year after that and onwards and onwards until someone actually does something

Hundreds of kids who are alive today will die in a school shooting within the next 2 years. We don’t know where or when but we know, for certain, it’s going to happen because nobody wants to do anything 

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I think you have to put it on the cities and work with the local police. You see it with school resource officer but you don’t see it in every school building. The onus is on the local district to protect the kids. It really isn’t a huge logistical hoop. You dedicate that resource from the department or you choose it’s not a priority. 

I get what your sayin, but I also think the onus is on the government of this country to protect the kids as well. I just feel like it would be a lot easier, faster and cost effective to simply start putting harsher gun laws in place that will drastically cut down on these scenarios even happing in the first place--rather than trying to organize the other proposed solution and hoping it works.

There was security with a gun in Buffalo--that didnt stop anything. There were many police officers with guns in Texas--that didnt stop anything.

I just feel like the idea of fighting fire with more fire and everything will be solved is a little silly. You gotta eventually get to the root of the problem and eliminate it instead of putting band aids on bullet wounds (no pun intended) and hoping that fixed the problem overnight.

35 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Since the start of the war in Afghanistan 2500 Americans died there and almost every year there were 15+ 

Biden pulls us out and 13 people die. He’s attacked in media for a long time and labeled a murderer.

But if he did nothing you know 13+ are dying that year anyway. And 13+ the year after. And 13+ the year after that and onwards and onwards until someone actually does something

Hundreds of kids who are alive today will die in a school shooting within the next 2 years. We don’t know where or when but we know, for certain, it’s going to happen because nobody wants to do anything 

2,500 soldiers have died in Afghanistan. There has been over 120,000 deaths from gun violence in America since 2014.

In 2022 alone, there have been at least 4 mass shootings in the country PER WEEK. From 2014-2022 there have been over 3,000 mass shootings.

So while soldiers dying at war is incredibly, unfathomably sad--we are fighting a war in this country among ourselves 24/7 that is 10x the size of the war in Afghanistan. The only difference is, no politicians care about this one because there is too much money to be lost if they do something about it.

Edited by AkronsWitness

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So my solution would be first to give tangible definitions as to what “military style” means, because watching some dude or lady who has clearly never fired or held a weapon lecture the rest of us on what that means is hilariously ineffective.

Citizens don’t have access to hand grenades, tanks, or RPG’s, so there is a precedent in place to some degree on the whole “well regulated militia” component. Any other excuse is pure laziness IMO.

As it relates to guns people are referring to semiautomatic magazine fed rifles. The difference between a commercially available AR and an M16 is a third hole in the receiver more or less.  

People want to argue semantics, but it’s pretty easily identifiable. The “she called the magazine a clip lololol” crowd is as tedious as the people who want to lecture us about the material but can’t use proper terminology imo.

38 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I mean, both of the dominant parties have people who aren’t working in good faith for the welfare of the people they represent.

Nothing changed until that does, and that doesn’t change until it’s no longer exceptionally profitable to be a politician.

27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I get what your sayin, but I also think the onus is on the government of this country to protect the kids as well. I just feel like it would be a lot easier, faster and cost effective to simply start putting harsher gun laws in place that will drastically cut down on these scenarios even happing in the first place--rather than trying to organize the other proposed solution and hoping it works.

There was security with a gun in Buffalo--that didnt stop anything. There were many police officers with guns in Texas--that didnt stop anything.

I just feel like the idea of fighting fire with more fire and everything will be solved is a little silly. You gotta eventually get to the root of the problem and eliminate it instead of putting band aids on bullet wounds (no pun intended) and hoping that fixed the problem overnight.

I agree that there should be more restrictive ways for people to get high powered weapons, but I think there is something to be said for the fact that criminals don’t care about gun laws if we think gun laws are the common sense solution at this point. Most guns used in crimes are not legally acquired. By a wide margin. 

I don’t think anybody is saying that fighting fire with fire is the only solution here. You can ask for protection for if **** goes down without thinking this is mutually exclusive from factors leading to **** going down to begin with. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I get what your sayin, but I also think the onus is on the government of this country to protect the kids as well.

If nothing else, that’s literally their only responsibility. Protect its citizens and their unalienable rights. Life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness/property. That’s literally it.