2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

1 minute ago, pnies20 said:

Maxx Williams isn't really more than a Fells/Orson type. Jesse James will get paid quite a bit and I think the Ravens keep Boyle. That's why I left them out. I had us signing Maxx in my last two mocks.

Maxx Williams is nothing special and I wouldn't stop at him to upgrade TE2 but he is head and shoulders better than Charles and Fells. Maxx Williams is also only going to be 25, Clay 30, Jenkins 27 and Watford 29. Watford has caught 9 passes in 2 years. 

If I had to choose between the 3 you listed I would just rather not sign. I would rather give Seth DeValve another year than sign one these bums.

16 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Maxx Williams is nothing special and I wouldn't stop at him to upgrade TE2 but he is head and shoulders better than Charles and Fells. Maxx Williams is also only going to be 25, Clay 30, Jenkins 27 and Watford 29. Watford has caught 9 passes in 2 years. 

If I had to choose between the 3 you listed I would just rather not sign. I would rather give Seth DeValve another year than sign one these bums.

I wasn't comparing their talent. I was saying Maxx's role on the team would be someaning like what Fells/Charles were. I like Maxx for that role because he does have more upside. I wouldn't mind any of the other 3 I mentioned because the free agent talent pool for TEs is pretty shallow. I like devalve a lot. I wish he could stay on the field.

Sounds like Trae Waynes is being shopped.

He is going into the last year of his rookie deal - cap hit will be about 9 million.

He’s 26 and has started each of the last 2 seasons.  Has a reputation as an excellent run defender and a pretty solid corner all around.

Vikings need cap space and OL help.

Trade Austin Corbett for Trae Waynes?

If Corbett isn’t enough - add in a 4th?

I liked Waynes a lot coming out of MSU.  He’s been pretty solid and would be a big upgrade over guys we currently have opposite Ward.  Plus I think he’s better than anyone due to hit the open market.

Keep pick 17 available for the best front 7 player available too.

4 minutes ago, Challenge-Flag said:

He is going into the last year of his rookie deal - cap hit will be about 9 million.

He’s 26 and has started each of the last 2 seasons.  Has a reputation as an excellent run defender and a pretty solid corner all around.

I liked Waynes a lot coming out of MSU.  He’s been pretty solid and would be a big upgrade over guys we currently have opposite Ward.  Plus I think he’s better than anyone due to hit the open market.

With a screen name like that, you really do need Hue Jackson as your avatar.

Edited by NudeTayne
Welcome to the forum! And unless I really hate what I see our of Corbett, I don't make that trade.

19 minutes ago, Challenge-Flag said:

I'd rather let Hillary Clinton play with my weenie than make that trade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Challenge-Flag said:

Why do you think they’d trade Corbett?

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Would I bring in Malik McDowell in for at least a medical and a try out?, Yes

16 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Gross.

Yeah I’m gonna have to agree with pines on this one.

McDowell definitely has the god given talent, but between the character concerns/head case, lack of effort in college, and complete lack of production due to injury, I’ll probably take a pass on this one.

I can live with one of those red flags, maybe two, but not all of them.

Corbett seems like a luxury at this point.

Zeitler (age 29 season in 2019) and Bitonio (age 27 season in 2019) are both playing at a very high level and are both locked up long term.

Tretter (age 28 season in 2019) is a free agent after this season and has been a pretty solid.

I understand depth is important - which is why I would make the trade.  Our CB depth is not great.  Ward dealt with multiple concussions as a rookie.  The balance of the CB’s were below average.

Waynes has been solid and durable.

He is headed into the last year of his rookie contract.

Dorsey has shown a tendency for guys who were high draft picks that are at the end of their first contract.

Jarvis Landry, Damarius Randall, Greg Robinson, and Breshad Perriman are all guys Dorsey targeted and acquired.

Jarvis Landry and Damarius Randall were performing at a high level and Dorsey was willing to pay accordingly. Greg Robinson and Breshad Perriman were super cheap gambles. Trae Waynes has no where near performed close to a 9 million dollar asset. If Dorsey was going to trade anything for him it would be a late round pick, not a former #33 overall pick who has shown absolutely ZERO bad play on the field.

Depth is important but clearly you don't value OL depth as without Corbett we have chopped liver on the offensive line depth and like you said one is a free agent after 2019. You don't want to be forced into a situation where you are pigeon holed into finding a replacement that same year.

In addition to the fact that CB depth is no more important than OL depth we now run a Cover 2 and your corners don't need to be near as good IMO which is made pretty darn clear by the fact that former Brown Pierre Desir had a career year playing in a cover 2 this season. Cover 2 actually fits Carrie and Mitchell both much better. They are competitors and scrappers. They will battle tooth and nail but they just don't have the high gear to stay with good WRs down the field. I am sure they will cause plenty of disruption and throw off the timing at the line better this year allowing our pass rusher to get home or force QBs into throwing deep with Randall and Peppers roaming.

• Like 1