2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

20 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

How? If he does good it could cost us a whole lot more and if he has a bad season that effects us poorly so I'm not sure how this is good for us. 

It is almost always the move when teams have a RFA to tender them rather than give a long term deal unless they are an obvious stud which Higgins is not. 

We did not screw anything up here. The decision is 100% up to the player and if he believes he can get a bigger contract next year then is not up to the team. At least we will be getting a highly motivated effort in 2019.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Other teams cannot offer him a contract at this point or it would be tampering.

I mean that the Browns and John Dorsey offered him a long term deal but Higgins turned it down in favor of giving it one more year to increase his value for 2020.

Oh gotcha.

10 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Brandon Graham has re-signed with Philadelphia on a 3 year deal. Takes away another pass rushing option from free agency.

I suppose we must hope against hope that one of the top DEs somehow avoids the franchise tag.

I'd assume that Clowney and Lawrence will get tagged if not resigned to a multi year deal.

Trey Flowers I can't see resigning with New England.

I'd be willing to take a flier on Fowler.

I'd consider giving Ansah a 1 year prove it deal. He had a terrible 2016 and 2018 wasn't great, but 2017 was solid.

12 hours ago, pnies20 said:

I’m not saying it could never happen but I highly doubt another team offered Higgins a contract when he’s a RFA and before knowing what his tender is.

Im guessing they told him that they’re giving him a 2nd round tender, which is a significant pay raise for him. 

I really hope we retain him.

The best thing is tender Higgins and let a team show interest in him. That way the market can set his value. Once that is set, I bet you we see a potential long term deal that reflects that new found market value. 

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The best thing is tender Higgins and let a team show interest in him. That way the market can set his value. Once that is set, I bet you we see a potential long term deal that reflects that new found market value. 

I doubt we’ll get an offer sheet to match if we render him with a second.

19 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Lol it's clearly to add to every level of the defense. Bush replaces Collins since White won't be there and what other corner at the backend of the 2nd would be better with more potential than Sheffield.

With the history of MLB's being a devalued postion, all it takes is a run on a particular position (lets say DL/PassRushers) and a QB or Two getting picked WAY to early and that's how you wind up with White slipping to 17 or word that he has some sort of minor injury and you get a top 8 talent slipping to 17 (like Derwin James did last year or Jonothan Allen the year before.. everyone said there is NO WAY these guys would be there at those picks remember...)

There are a couple of CB's I like more than Sheffield in the MIDDLE of round 2..not the back end....I personally like JoJaun Williams, Lonnie Johnson Jr. and Julian Love more than I do Sheffield. I know its easy to fall in love with a potential 40 time...but I like football players....Sheffield has a LOT of tools, but he's not the Denzel Ward/Marshawn Lattimore type of CB IMO. I think we need a CB with a size. And I also do not think we need a CB in Round 2....when Terrance Mitchell was healthy last year, he was a Very solid #2 CB...I like the development of TJ Carrie in the back half of last year in the slot and on the outside. And I know I'm in the minority here but we also have 6-2 CB who's spent 2 years on IR...I'd like to see what we have in him also. All of these things is why I dont think we need a 2nd round CB. I'm not saying we should bypass a superior talent if something slips to us in a round.

• Like 1

I like the idea of Ansah, but Dorsey keeps talking about keeping Ogbah at DE 

Im thinking we get 2 DTs and continue to develop Chad Thomas. 

I think Dorsey wants a corner 

I’m confused on linebacker too Schobert, Kirksey, Avery

do we really need a LB high or just depth? Because we were hurt based on injury in my opinion. 

Corner I think is too important not to value highly especially with Money Mitch overachieving last year we need a guy we can trust. 

I wasn't too interested in Brandon Graham anyway. He's getting older and not worth a big contract, IMO.

My top choice is DeMarcus Lawrence. I doubt Dallas lets him walk, but they do have other key players needing an extension soon. If not him, then Frank Clark. But again, I can't see Seattle letting him go... although I'm not sure what their cap situation is like.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I wasn't too interested in Brandon Graham anyway. He's getting older and not worth a big contract, IMO.

My top choice is DeMarcus Lawrence. I doubt Dallas lets him walk, but they do have other key players needing an extension soon. If not him, then Frank Clark. But again, I can't see Seattle letting him go... although I'm not sure what their cap situation is like.

I’m convinced we’re not big spenders in free agency. Expect 2 or 3 mid level signings.