2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

Two separate thoughts/questions -

One -  I'm still trying to understand from an X's and O's perspective the LBers.  Does the best athlete typically play SAM as I've always believed? or do they patrol the Middle? Is the ideal WILL better at coverage, blitzing or run support? For example, Avery filled in for Kirksey, who played WILL.  But he also rushed the passer a bunch.  Joe plays MLB - good in coverage, less so vs the run (lead D in missed tackles I read)  Collins was hit & miss.  So, if White was drafted lets say, ould he play SAM or WILL?  Would Schobert be better served playing SAM due to his coverage abilities?  If Bush were drafted, would be be WILL or MLB? 

Two - Baker's proving to be pretty tough in the pocket. That said, dunno if its wise to run with 2 QBs. FO seems to be making the case for Stanton, saying he's gone 10-6 in his last 16 games. Great guy, good mentor from all accounts, but should the unthinkable happen, it'd suck to see a season derailed by even a month-long injury.  Point is, I'm wondering if Tyrod wouldn't be wise to consider his options? At best he's a stop-gap starter (never thrown a 300 yard game as a pro) but as a backup, he'd be ideal. Good teammate, good leader in his own right and, under Freddie, maybe even more productive.  He could go 2-2 in a stretch, not sure Stanton could. If not TT, then which vet could hold down that position? 

10 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Two separate thoughts/questions -

One -  I'm still trying to understand from an X's and O's perspective the LBers.  Does the best athlete typically play SAM as I've always believed? or do they patrol the Middle? Is the ideal WILL better at coverage, blitzing or run support? For example, Avery filled in for Kirksey, who played WILL.  But he also rushed the passer a bunch.  Joe plays MLB - good in coverage, less so vs the run (lead D in missed tackles I read)  Collins was hit & miss.  So, if White was drafted lets say, ould he play SAM or WILL?  Would Schobert be better served playing SAM due to his coverage abilities?  If Bush were drafted, would be be WILL or MLB? 

Two - Baker's proving to be pretty tough in the pocket. That said, dunno if its wise to run with 2 QBs. FO seems to be making the case for Stanton, saying he's gone 10-6 in his last 16 games. Great guy, good mentor from all accounts, but should the unthinkable happen, it'd suck to see a season derailed by even a month-long injury.  Point is, I'm wondering if Tyrod wouldn't be wise to consider his options? At best he's a stop-gap starter (never thrown a 300 yard game as a pro) but as a backup, he'd be ideal. Good teammate, good leader in his own right and, under Freddie, maybe even more productive.  He could go 2-2 in a stretch, not sure Stanton could. If not TT, then which vet could hold down that position? 

It depends on the scheme. Sam and WILL use to be different years ago. Like in the old Tampa 2 when you needed a cover guy like brooks or lance briggs. but they’ve basically turned into the same position. You have to be able to cover at both now with the way offenses are spread out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It depends on the scheme. Sam and WILL use to be different years ago. Like in the old Tampa 2 when you needed a cover guy like brooks or lance briggs. but they’ve basically turned into the same position. You have to be able to cover at both now with the way offenses are spread out. 

Mike as well.

With teams using the pass to set up the run, as opposed to vice versa like they used to, all linebackers have to be able to cover.

The days of the 265lb thumper in the middle are all but gone, unless that guy is an absolute physical freak who can also cover.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mike as well.

With teams using the pass to set up the run, as opposed to vice versa like they used to, all linebackers have to be able to cover.

The days of the 265lb thumper in the middle are all but gone, unless that guy is an absolute physical freak who can also cover.

exactly 

you want whichever LBs that are going to be on the field in nickel 

or if you've got a Mark Barron type guy who can be your nickel linebacker

but usually its going to be your MLB and Will

which is why I dont think we go LB high with Schobert and Kirksey 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

exactly 

you want whichever LBs that are going to be on the field in nickel 

or if you've got a Mark Barron type guy who can be your nickel linebacker

but usually its going to be your MLB and Will

which is why I dont think we go LB high with Schobert and Kirksey 

And Avery and (for now) Collins.

I definitely think we address the position, but I’d image more so on day 3.

Yup. I don't see LB being an urgent need. Even if Collins is cut, I think Avery played well enough to replace him. Kirksey's play has been disappointing the past couple of years, but he's good enough to start. And maybe a change of scheme will help him. I think we just need to add depth to the position.

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yup. I don't see LB being an urgent need. Even if Collins is cut, I think Avery played well enough to replace him. Kirksey's play has been disappointing the past couple of years, but he's good enough to start. And maybe a change of scheme will help him. I think we just need to add depth to the position.

I think we need some athleticism and better tacklers.

When Avery got to the ball carrier, that SOB got them to the ground.  We need more guys like him.

If Dorsey can identify similar guys on day 3 this year, we’re set.

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Nick Boyle

Maxx Williams

Jesse James

all better options IMO

Maxx Williams isn't really more than a Fells/Orson type. Jesse James will get paid quite a bit and I think the Ravens keep Boyle. That's why I left them out. I had us signing Maxx in my last two mocks.