2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

46 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This idea of trading Corbett seems hella dumb imo.

A luxury?  He’s our primary reserve at 3 positions who makes 2 million a year on average over 4 years. That’s a best case scenario when you pair talent with cost.

I agree. His versatility is what makes him so valuable, on top of the fact it appears that he very well may be Tretter's replacement when his contract is up or at least that is how I see it. Dorsey is turning lemons into lemonade because he drafted Corbett to be Joe Thomas's replacement but when that didn't work out he started getting him ready to play all 3 positions in the interior O-Line. Brilliant 🤔

In regards to FA and in accordance with Dorsey philosophy of filling all the holes on team before draft, here is a list of possibilities.  Please note Trades are an important factor in building process and I do not speculate.

My need list in priority:  DT, LB, WR, CB,     For all other positions we can fill in trades and drafts.  Dorsey already checked a few off my list with backup RB/backupWR/starting LT

In his philosophy of 31 keys to rebuild, I have a strong inclination Dorsey will emphasize D because of the draft deepest ever in DL and Browns needs in that order.

Also, I strongly recommend L Whiteside QB, Toledo who played with Hunt and would be a great teammate and influence.  He played QB last year at Cinci and Tenn, now with San Antonio in AAF.  Also, Hunt and Johnson should be used as WR's in certain sets because they cannot be covered on short routes.

With new coaches, I am sure Kitchens and Dorsey made an inventory and asked each coach to evaluate all players in their respective groups, especially Wilks on D side.  I think he can bring a few players with him like DT and LB.

FA Picks total 30M

Roby CB-OSU product not used right in Den

Nelson LB-Dorsey pick as D Ford to be franchised, Mosley would certainly work too and move Schobert to Will

Brown or Perriman WR-

Arizona Cardinal DT-name I forget but high pick

On the cheap, I figure Dorsey likes to roll dice on reclamation projects and maybe 3-4 players like Browns retreads Pryor, Shelton

18 minutes ago, #32 said:

In regards to FA and in accordance with Dorsey philosophy of filling all the holes on team before draft, here is a list of possibilities.  Please note Trades are an important factor in building process and I do not speculate.

My need list in priority:  DT, LB, WR, CB,     For all other positions we can fill in trades and drafts.  Dorsey already checked a few off my list with backup RB/backupWR/starting LT

In his philosophy of 31 keys to rebuild, I have a strong inclination Dorsey will emphasize D because of the draft deepest ever in DL and Browns needs in that order.

Also, I strongly recommend L Whiteside QB, Toledo who played with Hunt and would be a great teammate and influence.  He played QB last year at Cinci and Tenn, now with San Antonio in AAF.  Also, Hunt and Johnson should be used as WR's in certain sets because they cannot be covered on short routes.

With new coaches, I am sure Kitchens and Dorsey made an inventory and asked each coach to evaluate all players in their respective groups, especially Wilks on D side.  I think he can bring a few players with him like DT and LB.

FA Picks total 30M

Roby CB-OSU product not used right in Den

Nelson LB-Dorsey pick as D Ford to be franchised, Mosley would certainly work too and move Schobert to Will

Brown or Perriman WR-

Arizona Cardinal DT-name I forget but high pick

On the cheap, I figure Dorsey likes to roll dice on reclamation projects and maybe 3-4 players like Browns retreads Pryor, Shelton

What about the weak side DE? I would say Ogbah was not that good last year and DE might be a bigger need then LB but if not certainly close to as big a need imo. Frank Clark please!!!

• Like 1

Briean Boddy-Calhoun DB, Unsigned Free Agent

11573.jpg

The Browns will not tender restricted free agent CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun a contract, making him a free agent.

GM John Dorsey said last week that the Browns would tender Boddy-Calhoun, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports there has been a change of heart. A 2016 undrafted free agent, Boddy-Calhoun has made at least six starts for the Browns each of the past three seasons. He has never been terribly effective.

Related:
‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎30‎ ‎PM
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Browns LB Jamie Collins is a candidate for release or restructure.

GM John Dorsey admitted as much at the Combine. "There were some inconsistencies," Dorsey said of Collins' 2018. "You don't know what leads to it. He may have been nicked. All I know is he's a very talented football player and you can't have enough of those guys on your team." Going on 30, Collins' play has slipped well off his career best seasons with the Patriots. Cutting Collins would free up $9.25 million in cap space while leaving behind just $2.5 million in dead money.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎20‎ ‎PM
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are "not close" to a new deal with free agent Breshad Perriman.

"We've had numerous conversations with his agent," GM John Dorsey said at the Combine. "I've spoken to (Perriman) directly and he's expressed a willingness to be here in Cleveland. So I think you wait for that process to unfold. I'd love to have that player here." Perriman is understandably not rushing into anything after finally showing some signs of life last year, but he might be well served by remaining with the team that finally figured out how to coax some big plays out of him.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎11‎ ‎PM
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports "at least three teams" have reached out to the Browns about a Duke Johnson trade.

Per reporter Mary Kay Cabot, teams started calling after GM John Dorsey's lukewarm endorsement of Johnson's Cleveland future last month. Kay Cabot reports the Browns are in "no rush" to deal Johnson until they learn the length of Kareem Hunt's suspension, but that they will move him for the "right offer." In NFLspeak, this means Johnson is as good as gone. Johnson has a hefty contract, but he is one of the league's top pass-catching backs. We would assume the interest is real.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎1‎:‎59‎ ‎PM

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports there is "no timeline" for Kareem Hunt's suspension announcement.

The Browns are hoping it is before the start of the new league year next week, but the NFL rarely moves at preferred speed in these situations. Per reporter Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns are itching to know so they can potentially trade Duke Johnson. Hunt's ban should be for at least six games.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎00‎ ‎PM
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

Briean Boddy-Calhoun DB, Unsigned Free Agent

11573.jpg

The Browns will not tender restricted free agent CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun a contract, making him a free agent.

GM John Dorsey said last week that the Browns would tender Boddy-Calhoun, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports there has been a change of heart. A 2016 undrafted free agent, Boddy-Calhoun has made at least six starts for the Browns each of the past three seasons. He has never been terribly effective.

Related:
‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎30‎ ‎PM
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Browns LB Jamie Collins is a candidate for release or restructure.

GM John Dorsey admitted as much at the Combine. "There were some inconsistencies," Dorsey said of Collins' 2018. "You don't know what leads to it. He may have been nicked. All I know is he's a very talented football player and you can't have enough of those guys on your team." Going on 30, Collins' play has slipped well off his career best seasons with the Patriots. Cutting Collins would free up $9.25 million in cap space while leaving behind just $2.5 million in dead money.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎20‎ ‎PM
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are "not close" to a new deal with free agent Breshad Perriman.

"We've had numerous conversations with his agent," GM John Dorsey said at the Combine. "I've spoken to (Perriman) directly and he's expressed a willingness to be here in Cleveland. So I think you wait for that process to unfold. I'd love to have that player here." Perriman is understandably not rushing into anything after finally showing some signs of life last year, but he might be well served by remaining with the team that finally figured out how to coax some big plays out of him.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎11‎ ‎PM
  • The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports "at least three teams" have reached out to the Browns about a Duke Johnson trade.

Per reporter Mary Kay Cabot, teams started calling after GM John Dorsey's lukewarm endorsement of Johnson's Cleveland future last month. Kay Cabot reports the Browns are in "no rush" to deal Johnson until they learn the length of Kareem Hunt's suspension, but that they will move him for the "right offer." In NFLspeak, this means Johnson is as good as gone. Johnson has a hefty contract, but he is one of the league's top pass-catching backs. We would assume the interest is real.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎1‎:‎59‎ ‎PM

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports there is "no timeline" for Kareem Hunt's suspension announcement.

The Browns are hoping it is before the start of the new league year next week, but the NFL rarely moves at preferred speed in these situations. Per reporter Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns are itching to know so they can potentially trade Duke Johnson. Hunt's ban should be for at least six games.

‎Mar‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎2‎:‎00‎ ‎PM

You've carved yourself into a top-notch poster very quickly.  Your Chiavertini rookie nomination is close.

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Losing BBC is a bad move. He isn’t great but he can play FS and CB. He’s still got room to improve and shown flashes at times. 

Yeah I don’t get that one

hopefully this is a bargaining ploy to get him to sign something long term maybe. 

We don’t have 5 corners better than BBC. Hell, we don’t have 3 safeties better than hi either.

We don’t have 5 linebackers better than Collins.

Johnson is a weapon when you put the damned ball in his hands.

With the 3rd (?iirc) most cap space, I’m not sure why we’re moving on from 3 our our top 35 players....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Don’t care about losing Perriman. Baker made him relevant.

The only upsetting news is losing BBC. We can sell Duke if we plan on keeping Chubb and Hunt together long term.

Hunt will cost top 5 rb money, so will chubb, the needle has shifted, it would cost 30 million per year.

We should keep Duke.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Hunt will cost top 5 rb money, so will chubb, the needle has shifted, it would cost 30 million per year.

We should keep Duke.

I feel like we’re trading hunt or slapping him with a tender and not matching next year.

• Like 2