2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Real Football Players March Madness Mock

1(17): Devin White, LB LSU // TJ Hockenson, TE Iowa (White likely is gone b4 our pick; 4.70, 40yd dash by TJ likely means he's there at 17; OJ Howard went 19)

2(49): **Trade-Up** Jeffery Simmons, DT Miss.St // Jerry Tillery, DT Notre Dame (Simmons and Tillery go in the top 8 of Rnd 2; Trade Up Necesary)

3(80): Hakeem Butler, WR Iowa St. // Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State

3(95): Chuma Edoga, LT USC // Michael Deiter, OG Wisconsin

4(119): Michael Deiter, OG Wisconsin // Chuma Edoga, LT USC

4(132): Emmanuel Butler, WR Northern Arizona

5(144): **Trade-Up**  David Montgomery, RB Iowa St // Devine Ozigbo, RB Nebraska

5(170): **Trade-Up**  Dawson Knox, TE Ole Miss

6(189): Emeke Egbule, OLB Houston

7(221): Josiah Tauaefa, MLB UT-San Antonio

1. Deiter is horrible

2. If butler is there at 80 I might crap my pants

3. David Montgomery might go 100 picks earlier

4. Gimme tillery in a trade up all day! 🤤

19 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

1. Deiter is horrible

2. If butler is there at 80 I might crap my pants

3. David Montgomery might go 100 picks earlier

4. Gimme tillery in a trade up all day! 🤤

It was really just a mock of the guys I want and not a true reflections of where they'll be picked necessarily.

Hakeem likely goes in the 2nd, but Montgomery after the combine and poor athletic testing probably goes maybe a round higher but I don't know so much anymore. People are down on him...we'll have to see what nfl decision makers think.

I like Deiter at guard. In the 4 games I saw, he was more than solid enough to be a 4th round selection.

If Hakeem Butler goes 2nd round, I’ll let someone else take that gamble. I actually like him and love the upside. He’s just risky though, and I’d prefer adding a guy who we can count on to get open and bring it in on 3rd down if we draft a guy rounds 1-2 at this position. I can see Butler being a pro bowler or he could be an inactive. I just think he’s raw, and we need someone who will for sure add something to the position if we invest high. 

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If Hakeem Butler goes 2nd round, I’ll let someone else take that gamble. I actually like him and love the upside. He’s just risky though, and I’d prefer adding a guy who we can count on to get open and bring it in on 3rd down if we draft a guy rounds 1-2 at this position. I can see Butler being a pro bowler or he could be an inactive. I just think he’s raw, and we need someone who will for sure add something to the position if we invest high. 

do we really need Butler being the 3rd down guy? he is prolly the best big player WR in college this pass year. He had the most reception made off of deep passes 19 catches of 20+ yards or more. Also the most yards as well from those deep passes.  If its 3rd down, I still would want him pushing it down field to open up the intermediate routes for Higgins and Landry. Also there is no way he would be an inactive player/ healthy scratch. If he is drafted by the Browns, he is the most physically gifted skill player on the team.

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

do we really need Butler being the 3rd down guy? he is prolly the best big player WR in college this pass year. He had the most reception made off of deep passes 19 catches of 20+ yards or more. Also the most yards as well from those deep passes.  If its 3rd down, I still would want him pushing it down field to open up the intermediate routes for Higgins and Landry. Also there is no way he would be an inactive player/ healthy scratch. If he is drafted by the Browns, he is the most physically gifted skill player on the team.

Boom or bust guy to me. Like I said, I like him but not high. Callaway plays a similar role to me, though I do like Butler’s ceiling. 3rd round is fine with me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just wait until next year when we cut Vernon and Bitonio. I’m just predicting that Bitonio release now. Watch us draft a guard for cheap this year.

The thing I don’t like about “not spending money” is that you start operating like a small market baseball team.

Nah, this is just how good GM’s operate. We’re just not used to it.

If things go the way we think the next year or two, we’re gonna be shelling out some serious coin on a handful of players. Buddy Boy (and his nerdy co-workers) are just setting up the structure for us to be good for a long time.

2 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Nah, this is just how good GM’s operate. We’re just not used to it.

If things go the way we think the next year or two, we’re gonna be shelling out some serious coin on a handful of players. Buddy Boy (and his nerdy co-workers) are just setting up the structure for us to be good for a long time.

I agree, but not every team does this.

*Disclaimer: The following is completely my perception as do 9 something EST today.  It’s not based on any review of actual data or necessarily even based in reality perhaps.

Some franchises, the Pats come to mind, are constantly wheeling and dealing looking to tweak the roster, maintain cap flexibility and stay competitive.  They let their FA walk, sign other guys, draft a ton of guys, etc.

Other franchises, like the Steelers, sign a free agent about once per presidential administration.  They build through the draft and lock up their own guys long term.

Now, obviously both ways can be successful, it’s just a matter of how you want to do things.  I personally prefer the Steelers method of continuously making small tweaks to your roster to improve it and allowing for continuity, but I can see that’s likely not gonna be Dorsey’s way of doing things.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

*Disclaimer: The following is completely my perception as do 9 something EST today.  It’s not based on any review of actual data or necessarily even based in reality perhaps.

Some franchises, the Pats come to mind, are constantly wheeling and dealing looking to tweak the roster, maintain cap flexibility and stay competitive.  They let their FA walk, sign other guys, draft a ton of guys, etc.

Other franchises, like the Steelers, sign a free agent about once per presidential administration.  They build through the draft and lock up their own guys long term.

Now, obviously both ways can be successful, it’s just a matter of how you want to do things.  I personally prefer the Steelers method of continuously making small tweaks to your roster to improve it and allowing for continuity, but I can see that’s likely not gonna be Dorsey’s way of doing things.

We don’t really know yet. Dorsey may very well do it more like the Steelers. We’ll see when some of our more significant players become FA’s.

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Boom or bust guy to me. Like I said, I like him but not high. Callaway plays a similar role to me, though I do like Butler’s ceiling. 3rd round is fine with me. 

I think from the -0 to the +20, Butler and Callaway can play the same role. Thats two potential deep threats for each half of the field. Really open up the other WR/TE or RB who goes out. Now you get inside the redzone, we already know Baker is surgical when it comes to his passes in the redzone, but Butler could be a redzone monster with his size and length. his catch radius is huge.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Its like the Steelers are, if its not broken, dont fix it. Pats are, can we make it better, lets tinker. 

Like if the Pats had the talent like the Steelers the past couple years and never made it to a superbowl, they would have traded Bell and Brown and got greater value. Right now the Steelers blew $21m, gained a 3rd and 5th rd pick for Bell and Brown. Pats prolly would have turned those two into prolly a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 4th prolly

• Like 1