Week 9: Lions (3-4) at VIKINGS (4-3-1)

swede700

The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?

• 0 - 245 yds (avg total yards vs. Lions in Zimmer's first year)
    • 246 - 335 yds (avg vs. Lions in Zimmer era)
    • 336 - 362 yds (avg vs Lions in 2017)
    • 363 - 404 yds (avg. vs Lions in 2015)
    • 404+ yds

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The history of Detroit in U.S. Bank stadium?

It’s two games. 

That's two games too many. Where's this vaunted home field advantage? The Vikes aren't going anywhere this year if they can't take care of divisional opponents at home.  I'd hate to get arrogant here to think that it's okay to rest starters who are limited because Detroit is coming to town. This is must win as any at this point.

No one is talking about resting starters like it’s week 17 before the playoffs. People are talking about sitting injured players, and giving them 2 extra weeks to heal before the stretch run. 

We’re 15-6 at U.S. Bank Stadium, 4-2 against the division. We do just fine at home. 

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No one is talking about resting starters like it’s week 17 before the playoffs. People are talking about sitting injured players, and giving them 2 extra weeks to heal before the stretch run. 

We’re 15-6 at U.S. Bank Stadium, 4-2 against the division. We do just fine at home. 

Yet we're 2-2 at home this year with two bad losses and two wins against abysmal teams (well, 9ers were supposed to be an improved team under Jimmy G at the time). I really don't care how we were last year or 2 years ago, to be honest. We have yet to impress at home in 2018.

If we were 6-2 or something and I know we could take care of business short handed, I'd be all for it. But we're 4-3-1 and have lost games we shouldn't lose (one being at home.) Detroit isn't a push over so that's why I'm conflicted about giving the injured guys another week if they can go this week.

If they can contribute on the field, they should play. If they're going to be a liability or not bring any improvement, they should sit. It'd be great to be able to sit them regardless and get some guys who are at 75% to 100% but being 4-3-1 doesn't allow that especially with games against Green Bay (always tough), at Soldier Field (always tough), and in New England (extremely tough).

Detroit really is a must win. If we lose Sunday, there's a very real reality that we could lose two of the three out of the bye. That'd put us as 5-6-1 at week 13 and hoping that Chicago and Green Bay don't get on a streak as well.

It sucks to think like that but it's a reality with how we've played this year so far.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:58 PM, VikeManDan said:

Per the Twitters it sounds like Cook, if he can go, will be on a pitch count. That makes NO sense to me...

Pitch count to limit him and slowly work back. He hasn’t took hits or truly put that hamstring to work. 

Soft tissue injuries like that should be worked back slowly.

a lot will depend on how he feels. 

Could be good tho, keep both Murray and Cooks legs fresh

In a bad sign for the availability of the injured Stefon Diggs, the Vikings are adding another wide receiver to their active roster. That receiver is Chad Beebe, who is being brought up from the practice squad to the 53-player roster today, according to multiple reports. That move suggests the Vikings think Diggs, who’s officially questionable with a rib injury, is unlikely to play. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/03/with-stefon-diggs-hurt-vikings-call-up-chad-beebe/

On 2018-10-31 at 2:03 PM, Klomp said:

Let's not sleep on the Lions offense without Golden Tate.

Part of the reason I feel Tate was dealt was the insertion of rookie RB Kerryon Johnson into a bigger role. He's pretty much on pace for 1,000 yards as a rookie, despite Detroit not giving him half of the snaps until the past two games. An increased presence in the ground game means less of a need for an underneath safety valve.

But we also need not forget about the two Lions WRs on the outside. Jones and Golladay are very good. Jones lit up Rhodes in one of the matchups last year.

This will be a good test for our defense. Again, I'm glad we have an improved offense to help combat the opponent. Last week was only the second time the Vikings failed to score 20 points this season. The offense needs to be on its A-game.

Tate was used in large part on short quick hitting plays because the Lions had no run game. With the improved run game and a number of backs that are effective pass catchers the Lions can absorb his loss. 

I agree with you about the Lions WRs. Golladay continues to surprise people.

On defence Ziggy is back which is a huge addition to the Lions number one weakness. With the addition of Snacks and a week of practice the Lions should be far better against the run. 

The Lions secondary is banged up so I expect Theilen to have a big game. As in bigger than all his big games so far this season. ?

Hoping for a good game with no injuries. Best of luck.

Archived