THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

Just now, bruceb said:

This decision will be either a cherry on Dorsey's sundae or his first big blemish

If McCarthy got us to the playoffs possible to an afc championship. Is that a blemish or sundae because based on our roster and all the upgrades to come in the draft and the cap space we have. We could do it 

It's kind of crazy how disliked McCarthy is on this forum. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's not my top choice but we could do far worse than McCarthy. He's done well in Green Bay when they actually had talent, which they haven't in the past couple of years. Ted Thompson's drafting got worse over time and they're extremely cheap when it comes to signing free agents. McCarthy also played a vital role in developing Rodgers.

I definitely would hope he'd hire an OC to be the play-caller, although I doubt that would happen. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

If McCarthy got us to the playoffs possible to an afc championship. Is that a blemish or sundae because based on our roster and all the upgrades to come in the draft and the cap space we have. We could do it 

Neither McCarthy nor anyone else Dorsey hires will get us to the playoffs.

Mayfield, Landry, Randall and other guys with attitudes will.

The question becomes will getting to the playoffs be because of the coach and the coach's ability to channel, use well and inspire the players or because of the players in spite of the coach?

I think that anybody except Hueball can "get" this team to the playoffs.

I want someone who will get them there for the next 10+ years with an SB win or two or more along the way.

I think I can make a stronger case for Kitchens being that guy than the retread McCarthy.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Neither McCarthy nor anyone else Dorsey hires will get us to the playoffs.

Mayfield, Landry, Randall and other guys with attitudes will.

The question becomes will getting to the playoffs be because of the coach and the coach's ability to channel, use well and inspire the players or because of the players in spite of the coach?

I think that anybody except Hueball can "get" this team to the playoffs.

I want someone who will get them there for the next 10+ years with an SB win or two or more along the way.

I think I can make a stronger case for Kitchens being that guy than the retread McCarthy.

I agree with this, just about any coach should get us to the wildcard round at the least. Good/Great coaching is what gets us further 

4 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I expect by Monday teams to start hiring coaches. It almost like everyone is waiting for the first domino to fall 

BINGO!

Everyone always wants to hold out for fear of going first and having that choice blow up in their face.

JUST SAY NO TO JOSH MCDANIELS !!!!!!!

23 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well would cincy give him the power like Denver did? IMO he failed with Denver wasnt because of his coaching but more so cause he couldn’t be a competent GM and build the roster or make proper trades. 

Mike Brown gonna Mike Brown. I don't think he's going to suddenly open his coffers and build a world class personnel front office when he's been relying on the coaching staff to do a lot of that heavy lifting for years.

Chip Kelly is another guy who I actually like his football philosophies and coaching style and believe it would actually work in the NFL, but he let his hunger for ultimate power take him down. I think with a GM like Dorsey doing to roster building guys like Chip, McDaniels or even an Eric Mangini could be great head coaches. They were all ruined by wanting final say on the personnel as well as football decisions. 

Another side note I have been thinking about listing to sports talk all morning on this coaching search is Sean McVay is wildly overrated. Great coach, yes, but my soul, everyone talks about this guy like he is Bill Walsh already. Sorry but I haven't seen enough from him to warrant his current legendary status. Hell, if I were a GM and I could pick any coach I wanted he wouldn't even be my 1st pick among young up and coming coaches. And I am being dead series here I would take Kyle Shanahan over McVay 10 times out of 10. He has accomplished far more with far less talent in his career and has even done better as a HC with San Francisco and the talent on that team than what McVay has done with his talent in Los Angeles IMO. Again, don't get me wrong he is a great coach I just don't agree with the ridiculously high pedestal he has been placed on at the moment.

@TheeRealDeal Bill Walsh wasn't even Bill Walsh until year 3 as he was 8-24 in his first 2 seasons at the 49ers. In year, 3 he won the Super Bowl.

McVay is a more charismatic and magnetic program leader compared to Kyle Shannahan, and as a result is more beloved by his locker room and the media.

In terms of OC prowess, Kyle is definitely better than McVay, McVay is overhyped by the media, and Sean McVay is truly an exceptional coordinator of offensive football in today's game.

Archived