74 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Dix?

• Tramon Williams
    • Josh Jackson
    • Josh Jones
    • Whitehead
    • Other (Green, Breeland, Brown)

Re: Jermaine Whitehead

“He’s one of the smartest guys on the defense,” Pettine told reporters Thursday. “He knows it inside and out.

"The call from defensive coordinator Mike Pettine might be transmitted electronically to inside linebacker Blake Martinez but when Whitehead’s on the field he’s the one making the checks. The tape shows Whitehead’s heavy involvement not only in calls at the safety and linebacker levels while also closely monitoring the stunts up front."

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

No one should be surprised if Haha starts to kick *** in Washington. He has the tools. I don't think he was happy in GB, and the change of scenery might change his attitude as well.

Just told my friend who is a Redskin fan the same thing.  It won't surprise me one bit if he plays great for them.  It won't hurt that they have Swearinger too.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I freaking hate how every player that leaves here gets ripped on. 

Everybody's going to sound like Outpost when Rodgers leaves.

I can't even imagine how vicious this place is going to be when Clay is gone.

Well, you've been higher on HHCD here than anyone else for awhile. This includes pretty much everyone that covers the team, too.

Now that the team has moved in, it appears that your evaluation of his play/importance to the team is the outlier. Perhaps your vehemence in defending him has clouded your evaluation of him. You've been wanting to see his positives to defend them the last couple years.

I'll also say that, for the most part, this org has done well moving on from players. Most of the time there is largely indifference. It's not often the fanbase feels strongly one way or another.

An underperformer on his last year being traded midseason will elicit some feelings. Especially around a guy who has been visibly low effort for awhile.

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Well, you've been higher on HHCD here than anyone else for awhile. This includes pretty much everyone that covers the team, too.

Now that the team has moved in, it appears that your evaluation of his play/importance to the team is the outlier. Perhaps your vehemence in defending him has clouded your evaluation of him. You've been wanting to see his positives to defend them the last couple years.

I'll also say that, for the most part, this org has done well moving on from players. Most of the time there is largely indifference. It's not often the fanbase feels strongly one way or another.

An underperformer on his last year being traded midseason will elicit some feelings. Especially around a guy who has been visibly low effort for awhile.

Disagree strongly, especially in the secondary:

Hayward, Hyde, and Randall are all examples of this not being the case.

9 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

?

Works for me - if only to get Tramon off the boundary and get CBJJ / Breeland field time. Mix SJJ, Whitefield in at Safety.
Until I see that Tramon's totally lost it and movement to Safety cant save him - I think this could be a net plus.

37 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Got to give @Packerraymond credit on the Tramon to safety call.

I just think instincts play there equally to speed. When you add both you get All Pros like Thomas or Collins.

Tramon should be able to see it, and it takes him off of the 1-1 which is a win for us. If Tramon is just equal to HHCD back there and JJ and Breeland see the field more at CB instead, I think we actually got better.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

The media was overly harsh on HHCD and the fan base followed along. This is more a "I think we can get equal play from Tramon and recoup a comp pick this year that'd I'd have probably lost by signing a FA move" more than a "HHCD was playing bad" move.

Effort is the killer to me though. I think when HHCD lost Shields, his effort tanked and even moreso after losing Morgan. He's a follower not a leader.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The media was overly harsh on HHCD and the fan base followed along. This is more a "I think we can get equal play from Tramon and recoup a comp pick this year that'd I'd have probably lost by signing a FA move" more than a "HHCD was playing bad" move.

Effort is the killer to me though. I think when HHCD lost Shields, his effort tanked and even moreso after losing Morgan. He's a follower not a leader.

Right. His play and his effort are one and the same though. That's my point. 

And I think he made it easy to criticize him due to that effort. Any player displaying that will get harsh criticism and I don't agree that it's "unfair" from the media to do so.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Right. His play and his effort are one and the same though. That's my point. 

And I think he made it easy to criticize him due to that effort. Any player displaying that will get harsh criticism and I don't agree that it's "unfair" from the media to do so.

He still played like a top 20 safety in the league thus far. The media made it sound like he was holding back the defense. With consistent effort he should've been a top 10 guy, but we're not talking about a bad player. I can see why we were hesitant to show him the money though.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He still played like a top 20 safety in the league thus far. The media made it sound like he was holding back the defense. With consistent effort he should've been a top 10 guy, but we're not talking about a bad player. I can see why we were hesitant to show him the money though.

So what was the difference - demarcation line - between the player described above and "Mr. Guaranteed Red Zone TD?"

The issue I have with moving Tramon is he's being moved there out of necessity on 2 fronts:

1) because he's so bad at CB he basically can't play there

2) We have no deep safety

Rather than this being a situation where Tramon is responsible for the 2nd/3rd/4th option, this might actually turn into a situation where he's in higher leverage situations against the other team's best plays/players.

3 outcomes:

1) He plays well at S and we also get better at CB so play actually improves.  I give that about... 10-20% chance.

2) He plays average to poor at S, but someone steps up at CB and plays better than he was playing.  Defense gets slightly worse because HHCD was actually good at S and Tramon was bad but in a less important spot.  40-50% chance

3) He plays poor at S, and no one really establishes things at CB.  Defense goes from bad to terribad all of a sudden. 30-40%

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

So what was the difference - demarcation line - between the player described above and "Mr. Guaranteed Red Zone TD?"

Effort. He made more turnover causing plays than anyone on our team. At the same time, he consistently gave up touchdowns in the red zone with either poo alignment or effort.

We've seen Haha be a top 10 safety in the league. We also saw him just look like he didn't care. The "don't care" looks became more frequent as the vets departed from our secondary and he became the new vet. Quite clear he's not a guy you want young guys modeling play after.

Archived