You Hear It First: Hip Hop & R&B

pwny

6 hours ago, showtime said:

EDIT:  The funny part about the MGK diss - He said that Em black balled him from coming to Shade 45 and all this other petty stuff.  Most people were saying, there's no way that stuff is true.  Then when Em did the interview with Sway... Em confirmed it is true lol.  Sway even said during the interview that he personally invited MGK to Shade 45 and that he got word that he's not allowed to invite MGK because Em was mad at him lol

Uh that’s not true.  When Sway asked Em if he did, he quite clearly said “F no!”   He didn’t confirm he did anything.  Sway did talk about how he had to break it to MGK that he wasn’t welcome on the show but that’s all Jimmy Iovine.  Have you seen The Defiant Ones?  Iovine is not to be trifled with.  Em and Dre don’t need to sweat anything. They’ve got Jimmy. 

And I’m no Eminem stan.  I think he’s one of the best to ever pick up a mic but imo he’s never made his magnum opus. He doesn’t have his Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt.  MMLP is beyond overrated.  I haven’t copped his albums since Encore.  It’s good to see his hunger flourishing again.  MGK might have come at him with emotion but that was bringing a knife to a howitzer fight.  This was a bloodbath.  

Edited by thrILL!
Autocorrect loves mumble rap
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Uh that’s not true.  When Sway asked Em if he did, he quite clearly said “F no!”   He didn’t confirm he did anything.  Sway did talk about how he had to break it to MGK that he wasn’t welcome on the show but that’s all Jimmy Iovine.  Have you seen The Defiant Ones?  Iovine is not to be trifled with.  Em and Dre don’t need to sweat anything. They’ve got Jimmy. 

And I’m no Eminem stan.  I think he’s one of the best to ever pick up a mic but imo he’s never made his magnum opus. He doesn’t have his Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt.  MMLP is beyond overrated.  I haven’t copped his albums since Encore.  It’s good to see his hunger flourishing again.  MGK might have come at him with emotion but that was bringing a knife to a howitzer fight.  This was a bloodbath.  

No, he didn't say that in regards to the Shade 45 thing.  He said "F no" after Sway asked him, "Did y'all really try to shelve his record?".  In the very beginning of the conversation about MGK, Sway talked about how he invited MGK to Shade 45 and that he later had to go back to MGK and tell him he's not allowed up there.  While Sway is saying all of that, Eminem is just saying stuff like "yea and mhm". 

But ultimately, whatever Jimmy or Paul try to put into motion is a reflection of Eminem because Eminem is the person that everyone knows and he's the front line guy.  To me, I don't really care about it, but obviously there's a lot of stuff going on that MGK touched on in his song whether or not Eminem put it into motion or not.

As far as your last statement, I disagree that MMLP is beyond overrated.  It's one of his best works.  If you think that's overrated and you haven't coped an album since Encore then how do you figure he's one of the best to pick up a mic?  To me, Slim Shade EP, MMLP and The Eminem Show were all GREAT albums and deserve the praise they've gotten.  The issue I have with Eminem is every album he's put out after that has been bad.  And The Eminem Show came out in 2002... That's 16 freaking years ago that he's been living off of a God like exsistance with no work to show for it.  That's absolutely insane to me.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:20 AM, showtime said:

As far as your last statement, I disagree that MMLP is beyond overrated.  It's one of his best works.  If you think that's overrated and you haven't coped an album since Encore then how do you figure he's one of the best to pick up a mic?  To me, Slim Shade EP, MMLP and The Eminem Show were all GREAT albums and deserve the praise they've gotten.  The issue I have with Eminem is every album he's put out after that has been bad.  And The Eminem Show came out in 2002... That's 16 freaking years ago that he's been living off of a God like exsistance with no work to show for it.  That's absolutely insane to me.

I said I haven’t copped any meaning I haven’t bought any of his albums since then.  It doesn’t mean I haven’t heard them whether thru friends or YouTube.  And those albums leading up to and including Encore isn’t enough to determine he’s one of the best to ever do it?  Biggie made 2 albums including a bloated double-album that should’ve been one.  So I’m assuming you don’t think very highly of Big bcuz of him only doing 2 albums.   He’s in my top 10.

I know I’m in the minority here but MMLP has like 4 good songs imo (altho “The Way I Am” and “Stan” are extraordinary).  SSLP is a much better album start to finish.  The SSEP was dope having alternate versions of songs that wound up on the full LP.   My friend got the EP cassette from Eminem himself (along with the IDGAF 12” and a t-shirt) for FREE at the Lyricist Lounge tour when it came to Cleveland. It was a few days after he signed to Aftermath and he was just pumped that we knew who he was.  This is before “My Name Is” came out when the majority of ppl were exposed to his music. We had already known his stuff thru friends from Detroit who hooked us up with Infinite.  The song that made me a fan was “5 Star Generals” with Shabaam Sadeeaq, etc. 

i remember my roommate and I rewinding it over and over listening to Em’s lyrics like who is this kid??  Then we heard Infinite.  Bruh. 

I feel you on all the bad albums.  I would love to ask him why he hasn’t linked up with producers he himself admires like Preemo.  Jimmy Iovine has had a monumental influence on him and keeping that gravy train going. His albums have been full of such crossover nonsense that he lost his sense of direction.  It drives me nuts. But at the same time, I can’t imagine the world he lives in now. He went from trailer park trash to barely being able to leave his own house. He’s mobbed everywhere he goes.  He’s a prisoner of his own success.  I’d imagine he does it to provide for his family so they never have to go thru what he did growing up.  How do you maintain your sense of reality in all of that and yet reconcile it with your place in hip hop and the way you established yourself as a hungry MC having had such success?

On 9/15/2018 at 10:27 PM, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Why is he even having some big interview special? I like Eminem but this reeks of him trying to stay relevant. I don't care to even watch the interview. I watched the part 2 that someone posted here but I don't really care about his interview. 

The worse part is, it’s an interview by how own company. Whole thing looked staged. 

Now MGKs interview on breakfast club was entertaining