Is Rodgers really better than Brady?

Bolts223

What BB does with Brady is he adjusts his offense to the personnel around him.  He doesn't ask TB to be superman.  Unfortunately McCarthy does just the opposite.  He leans on Rodgers to be Godgers and when he isn't the offense sputters.  Right now the interior of our O line isn't great but McCarthy insists on calling slow developing deep passes to inexperienced WRs with a gimpy QB.  It seems like eons since we've tried a quick slant.  We've been very successful running the ball this year but for some reason McCarthy will stop handing it off, even when it is going great, and will instead rely on his QB to shoulder it all.   It is super frustrating to watch this team struggle because they make it so damn hard on themselves.

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is one of the big differences between the two.  Rodgers is actually NOT always asked to thread the needle deep.  Mike McCarthy schemes a LOT of plays where Rodgers has players open underneath, but Rodgers always feels the need to play hero and go for the deep pass.  He will ignore wide open receivers and running backs waiting for the deep pass.  He takes a lot of sacks because of this, and it kills a lot of drives.  When the Packers are playing average-below average teams, he can get away with it and still get the win.  When they play against the better teams in the league, it doesn't work.  

In comparison, this is what is so great about Brady.  If you give him something deep, he will take it.  If you don't give him the deep stuff, however, he is more than willing to give you "death by 1000 paper cuts" and just rack up the first downs with short passes up and down the field.  This is one of the many things that separates and elevates Brady above Rodgers. 

I also notice they refuse to run the ball. Whether that's A-Rod or MM, they're the 4th best in YPC, they were averaging over 5 ypc against us, we were daring them to run, and they rarely did. There was a drive where their running got them into the RZ, then they abandoned it so Rodgers could start throwing. In the end he managed to JUST squeeze one in. Making things harder than they need to.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

What BB does with Brady is he adjusts his offense to the personnel around him.  He doesn't ask TB to be superman.  Unfortunately McCarthy does just the opposite.  He leans on Rodgers to be Godgers and when he isn't the offense sputters.  Right now the interior of our O line isn't great but McCarthy insists on calling slow developing deep passes to inexperienced WRs with a gimpy QB.  It seems like eons since we've tried a quick slant.  We've been very successful running the ball this year but for some reason McCarthy will stop handing it off, even when it is going great, and will instead rely on his QB to shoulder it all.   It is super frustrating to watch this team struggle because they make it so damn hard on themselves.

Oh yeah, you got the running part. Would drive me insane.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

His refusal to take what the defense gives him is the one thing he does that drives me crazy but unless McCarthy will not get Rodgers to stop ignoring the underneath passes  then McCarthy needs to go.   I don't think Rodgers is uncoachable.  Every player, including Brady, needs coaching.  But perhaps McCarthy's words are falling on deaf ears thru out the locker room and not just in the QB room and a new regime is in order.

Yes.  Contrary to what a lot of people on this board think, I think MM has been an excellent coach.  It just seems that the time comes for every coach when it's time to move on from his current team to a new situation.  Moving on would probably be good for McCarthy and for the Packers. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, NJerseypaint said:

You don't even need to look at stats (and those stats are easily the most superficial by the way) to tell that Rodger is a way more gifted QB than Brady. You can't overrate his talent when it's plain as day. Crazy enough, Tom Brady didn't really hit his stride until his mid 30's and that's where Rodgers is today.

not remotely true. led the league in TD passes in '04 at age 27. NFL MVP, AP all pro '07 season at age 30. 

edit: I could smell the rodgers' excuses from outside the thread. "he is sooooo talented but his team and staff suxxx. I cant prove it but I think Rodgers would have 10 superbowls on the pats!!!"

46 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

not remotely true. led the league in TD passes in '04 at age 27. NFL MVP, AP all pro '07 season at age 30. 

edit: I could smell the rodgers' excuses from outside the thread. "he is sooooo talented but his team and staff suxxx. I cant prove it but I think Rodgers would have 10 superbowls on the pats!!!"

"Hit his stride".

16 hours ago, Asciimo said:

I don't know your definition of "stride", but I certainly think he was in his stride by '06.

Aside from 2007, Tom Brady after 2010 blows pre-2010 Brady out the water. I mean, his play from 2015 - 2017 could be argued to be the best stretch of play of his career.

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Aside from 2007, Tom Brady after 2010 blows pre-2010 Brady out the water. I mean, his play from 2015 - 2017 could be argued to be the best stretch of play of his career.

Brady significantly upped his game in 2015 and that was the best stretch of his career. He was already a 2x MVP and an elite talent considered to be neck and neck with Manning well before that 

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers has the ability to be the best QB to ever play the game.  He isn't.  Aaron's own self is the only person holding him back.  He's stubborn and picky, and that holds him back. 

McCarthy should of moved on like 3 years ago just like Marvin Lewis should of moved on nearly six years ago. 

Archived