Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think the trade is final tbh.

I think we traded for Ramsey with the aforementioned package.

I think the only thing that’s keep it from being announced is the fact that the organization doesn’t want any distractions for the team trying to win such a big game against a huge opponent. We can’t play Ramsey in this game but can play Hurst. And if Andrews gets doubled or Brown gets doubled or both, Hurst could be a key contributor for winning this game.

Announcing a trade now would be asinine. What strategic benefit would it provide for us to do so? None. It also affords the front office and Ramsey’s agent additional time to work out an extension before announcing the trade details on what I would imagine to be Monday morning via a press conference. Allow Hurst the formality of traveling back and hearing the news from the horses mouth Sunday evening... which is when we might hear the news prematurely break.

Good to hear I'm not the only one because this is what I've been thinking since yesterday morning too. I'm not sure if the picks we've heard are completely accurate though. I think it might be a 1st and 3rd this year plus a 3rd next year along with Hurst.

Edited by BareYourTeeth
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Danand said:

We are really really thin at tight end. We have 3 good ones and none behind them.

You can't tell me that you seriously think that losing some quality at 2nd TE is worth passing up an All-Pro calibre starter at a position of much more importance.

And besides that, most teams don't have two TEs as good as MAndrews and Boyle.  I think we'd be fine with having Ricard +/- a free agent signing (or one of the 2 TEs on our practice squad) pick up some of the slack.

A guy like Dwayne Allen (assuming he's healthy) would be a decent fill-in for HH's role

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danand said:

If Hayden is a part of the trade, would we play him and risk injury, which would void the deal?

Because this team isn’t playing to be “competitive” only. This team is looking to be a Super Bowl contender. To truly do so, they’re going to want Home Field and a first round bye. There is almost no better coach coming off of a bye week than Harbaugh (unlike with Billick in that capacity), so doing W.I.T. to achieve that result makes the most sense to do. The Jaguars had a feeling that they could win their division and played Ramsey and Ramsey played because he’s young and a great teammate, so is Hurst (though he’s a year older than Ramsey but still).

So why play Hurst is simple. We don’t have the luxury not to. Andrews is potentially out for this game. Whether he’s playing or not, he’s not like to be at “full strength” and thus to beat a foe like the Chiefs IN Arrowhead... we need all hands on deck. This could decide HFA in the playoffs, who knows. So playing Hurst is worth the potential loss for the potential gain of getting HFA later on. So you do it and don’t look back. Whether we’re trading him or not, Hurst is probably still one of the top 15-20 most impactful players on the roster so not playing him would hurt the team more than help it.

Yet, you trade him because he’s probably right at 15th best and you have an opportunity to add a player to be in the top 3. I would prefer to keep Hurst but that’s only because I like the groove our TEs have. However I also realize that Hurst will never be more valuable than he is right now and trading him avoids the “bust” label from the team and their resume.

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Good to hear I'm not the only one because this is what I've been thinking this since yesterday morning too. I'm not sure if the picks we've heard are completely accurate though. I think it might be a 1st and 3rd this year plus a 3rd next year along with Hurst.

Yeah, the “math” of it all just seems to make the most sense that whatever deal it is, whether it’s us or not, it makes sense that it’s a player within the deal. 

If this deal did not include a player, there’s no way they don’t announce it already and build some sort of momentum in whatever the club that is trading for Ramsey. As I’m sure any team would be hyped to receive a top 30 player in the league.

Multiple reports all throughout the media were on record as saying if a deal happened it would be on Friday, yet after Friday we’ve seen only radio silence?? Since then we’ve only heard speculation that maybe the Jaguars keep him?

No other teams have gotten involved or made compelling offers for the media to hear about and run with? The Jaguars in all their new found hope of resigning Ramsey haven’t been seen or overheard meeting with him? This hope largely based off the fact that things have gone silent. I find it hard to believe that things have gotten so utterly silent on the western front because a disgruntled player was able to win one game. Did that win somehow throw him into the sunken place or something? 

Generally in a forest when crickets stop chirping it’s because something big is on the way. Whether it was us signing Ramsey or another team, it’s had that feeling all along that something was in process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danand said:

We are really really thin at tight end. We have 3 good ones and none behind them.

This is overplayed. We have 5 TEs. It’s just that the NFL doesn’t allow for bigger roster sizes and thus allow a practice squad instead. We have two TEs on the practice squad in Herdman and Scarff that showed potential in the preseason. Looking at Herdman’s college highlights he seemed to play within a similar RPO system and Scarff was a bluehen like Boyle before him.

If we trade Hurst we go from the top TE group in the league to a top 3-5 group. 

Instantly bumping up whichever TE on the PS has a better grip of our playbook and can best execute Hursts role. As well as which looks best on special teams units.

For my bet I would say Herdman is that guy. But it’s tightly contested between Scarff and he so it could go either way for sure.