Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I absolutely would not want to let Marlon walk for Jalen Ramsey, personally. Jalen might be more talented, but have you seen Marlon's ability lately? Not only is he a shutdown CB, but his run defense is arguably the best in the league at this point, he's an absolutely A+ character guy and he's homegrown.

I'm all in on the idea of buying while your QB is on his rookie deal, but 2 1st-round picks as a starting point for Jalen Ramsey is too high for me IMHO.

Yeah same here. The absolute highest I would offer is a 2020 1st and then a conditional 2021 2nd/3rd. That was if he’s a headache we only lose the 3rd vs the 2nd. Two firsts?? I trust our chances to find the next Jalen Ramsey/Marlon Humphrey with one of those two firsts.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's the thing though, Marlon is still ascending whereas Ramsey has arguably already peaked, and is a known locker room concern. When you factor everything in, I'm taking our home grown guy over giving up 2 1st-rounders + a huge contract for Ramsey.

I 100% agree with you about Marlon being in the rise. I just very much admire Jalen and have since college. Was gutted when we didn't land him in the draft. It's more a want thing. I absolutely love Marvin. 

55 minutes ago, DR43 said:

A ravens fan told me yesterday that he thought team had little to no chance against New England in the playoffs.  Would you agree?

It's too early to tell, but I would absolutely disagree with "little to no chance against New England in the playoffs". We're historically very good against them, we have a balanced offense and a defense built to stop the pass (well...kinda?). I would say we stand as good a shot as anyone.

35 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

We don't know where either team will be at when we play the Pats week 8, let alone a hypothetical playoff game.

I think we have a pretty good idea of who the Pats are and what they'll be this season, though obviously there are degrees to just how good they'll be depending on the AB situation, etc. The variance is much more on our end in terms of what kind of team we could end up being this year. A realistic best version of the Ravens this year could definitely challenge the Pats in a hypothetical playoff game, but there's a lot more work to be done to build towards that compared to the Pats who are basically already a fully realized juggernaut. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DR43 said:

A ravens fan told me yesterday that he thought team had little to no chance against New England in the playoffs.  Would you agree?

The way I see it this Patriots offense looks very similar to that Pittsburgh Steelers offense (AB = AB, Julian Edelman = Juju Smith-Schuster) only with the addition of Flash Gordon and the subtraction of that same level of OL the Steelers deployed. Trade Big Ben for Tom Brady. Trade Tomlin for Belichick. So all in all it’s a better more explosive version, but there are similarities.

So all that to say I think we matchup as good as any team in this league when healthy. Playoff time should allow Jimmy Smith to come back and get up to speed. He can body up Gordon. Marlon on AB. Carr on Edelman. With Thomas at safety for additional assistance. What’s more they like to get their rushing attack going and our rush defense has looked very good to this point and we have more depth than we’ve had in some time with the addition of Mack.

The biggest test will come with the Patriots top 3 defense vs our offense. We’ve got a lot of weapons, but they’re young weapons. To expect them to trade blows with a very experienced defense, play mistake free football, and drop buckets... is a tall task for ANY offense and QB. But Lamar’s unique skillset could be the most advantageous skillset to attack that defense that they will face at QB outside of perhaps Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson.

Harbaugh has also generally been one of the few top 10 coaches to keep up with Bill Belichick and not get embarrassed by him. So there’s that. They definitely have a shot, it would not be an “EASY” game for either team.

Can we talk about how quickly John Harbaugh turned "is probably going to be fired or resign" into "probably one of the safest coaching gigs in the NFL" again? Pretty remarkable, if you ask me. His willingness to completely abandon the Flacco trainwreck and go full in on Lamar and the new philosophy is really refreshing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can we talk about how quickly John Harbaugh turned "is probably going to be fired or resign" into "probably one of the safest coaching gigs in the NFL" again? Pretty remarkable, if you ask me. His willingness to completely abandon the Flacco trainwreck and go full in on Lamar and the new philosophy is really refreshing.

Love Billick, but this man is easily the greatest coach in the history of this franchise. And I think when it's all said and done, should go down as probably one of the top 5 greatest coaches in the history of the sport. Truly a remarkable career and unparalleled willingness to adapt to the continuously evolving landscape of the NFL.

• Like 1

Two 1sts? No. A 1st and a 2nd? Steep, but I'm cool. A 1st and a 3rd? Sounds fair. A 1st and a 4th? Robbery. A 1st and a player? Depends, but likely fine.

Ramsey just fits the team so perfectly right now. I really hope we land him. Not only would we be adding an Elite talent, but I think you'd see an energy added to the defense that would be palpable. If this goes through the fans are going to lose their minds. His debut game at M&T against the Browns and their WRs will be massive lol.