Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

12 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So, I think it's becoming increasingly unlikely Greg Roman doesn't get head coaching offers in the offseason. There's always a chance Bisciotti backs up the Brink trucks on him and he decides he wants to stay and build a legacy around being Lamar's guy, but an NFL head coaching job is the pinnacle of his profession and that's hard for anyone to turn down. Assuming he goes, who do we see replacing him? It'd be a shock to see us not promote from within and try to maintain some continuity with the scheme. The two biggest contenders to me are James Urban and David Culley, and I would probably lean towards Urban given his strong relationship with Lamar, though obviously it's hard to know too much about him as a playcaller. He has a strong resume in terms of having worked with Vick in Philly, then with the Cincy WR's back when they were churning out all sorts of weapons for Dalton, and now having helped overseen the development of Lamar, so he seems due for a chance. 

I'm comfortable promoting from within on this one even if neither of these guys can perfectly replicate a Greg Roman offense - that general comfort with the scheme is good, and we probably need someone who can introduce their own new wrinkles to it anyways as Lamar continues to grow - but I do think we'll need to go outside to bring in a new running game coordinator and get a really top shelf mind on that front to help try and replace what we're losing with Roman walking out the door. 

Yeah if Roman leaves and we don’t promote James Urban I think it’s safe to say he will get an OC opportunity with Roman. Though I also don’t like the idea of removing Lamar’s QB coach. So what also might make sense would be to elevate Culley to OC and keep Urban as the QB coach and then elevate him to Assistant HC. He gets a shot to really shadow Harbaugh in all his duties as Greg has gotten a chance to do the past couple seasons to make sure he’s ready for a coaching candidacy.

That way we can maintain both of their minds in house. What’s more it’s seemingly when Urban will get a HC gig at this point, so a guy like Culley is reminiscent of a Dean Pees in that he can provide stability because he’s not going to be looked at as this young, hip, HC candidate so we can hold onto him and build Lamar with him.

Got to think if Roman leaves, it's purely for the HC drip. Cause I'm 100% sure Steve will match any monetary offer he gets. They need to sell him on being the Josh McDaniels to Harbaugh's Belichick for this dynasty we're building, and keep him in house. This organization responded with a brutality approach when we found ourselves behind the eight ball at the CB position, and the returns on that aggressiveness have been incredible. I don't see us simply letting Roman walk when he's brought Baltimore a historic offense with a 22 year old Rookie Contract Lamar Jackson at the helm. The proverbial gun will be put to his head. Maybe that alone won't be enough, but leaving the Ravens and going to another organization is like walking off a cliff. Maybe he'll grow wings and fly, but most likely he'll go to an awful organization and get fired not long after. Hopefully he takes that into consideration as well.

Another thought I've had recently is the prospect of other clubs overpaying players on our team, with the intent to 'rob' our machine of some key cogs. Which is why it's going to be important to extend key players before they hit UFA. Like if the Patriots or someone had a crystal ball, and could see what was coming with our offense. Is there any chance they wouldn't have tossed obscene money at a guy like Nick Boyle? Sometimes it's worth more to take away a player from a contender than it is to add them to your own team. 

• Like 1

I can easily understand a coach like Roman and Wink would like to try to be HC.

On the other hand, I can't see those two come to an understanding, that they won't find better working conditions than in Baltimore. They have the personel, they have the head coach who let them do their thing, and they have a front office which provide them the opportunity to add talent and an owner who is not afraid to use money on the team.

For Roman, he has the ultimate tool to run his system. I would think he was the least likely to leave, while Wink would be the Rex Ryan type of hire for another team.

• Like 1

Steelers as they won't go anywhere with either Rudolph nor Hodges anyway. Best thing is, PIT is facing QB purgatory and will be doomed for at least another season.

can't tell me even if Ben comes back to play another season he'll be anything remotely close to a top10 QB.
it will basically be Ravens ca. 2013-2017 with a good defense and a middling QB.

and it will be glorious to watch them suffer through it.

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

So who are we rooting for in this Browns/Steelers game? Whoever loses pretty much has their playoff hopes dashed, which is awesome either way lol.

The Steelers don’t have their first round pick. So I’d rather they lose. I don’t want to see them in the playoffs either. Also them getting swept by the Browns would really be a funny sight. They’re also owed some more negative karma for how Rudolph handled that incident.

Watching this Texans team, I really feel like we desperately need to upgrade our LBers. Whether it’s a pass rusher or an elite ILB talent that can just wreck havoc with TFL or cover in the middle of the field. We have developing pieces like Bowser, but we’re missing a truly impact talent in the middle of the defense. That’s what the 49ers have with Warner and that really made them very tough to beat.

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Watching this Texans team, I really feel like we desperately need to upgrade our LBers. Whether it’s a pass rusher or an elite ILB talent that can just wreck havoc with TFL or cover in the middle of the field. We have developing pieces like Bowser, but we’re missing a truly impact talent in the middle of the defense. That’s what the 49ers have with Warner and that really made them very tough to beat.

I think if Von Miller becomes available, we should push hard for him. He's older but could bridge the gap between drafting an developing replacements. 

As for ILB, I agree we need an hybrid athletic freak in there. Hard to come by though. 

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they sign AB this week. That offense looks awful and I think they know this is Brady's last ride with them. They're all shameless enough to do it. 

In any case, home field advantage is gonna be in our hands now. For this group this should be enough motivation to avoid a letdown loss. Playoffs have already started, we gotta bring it every week now. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they sign AB this week. That offense looks awful and I think they know this is Brady's last ride with them. They're all shameless enough to do it. 

In any case, home field advantage is gonna be in our hands now. For this group this should be enough motivation to avoid a letdown loss. Playoffs have already started, we gotta bring it every week now. 

I desperately want the road to the SB to run through baltimore.