Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

I think recent NFL events have shown that if you can't consistently throw the ball and have a great passing game, you won't win.

Ravens + Titans are run-first teams but even when the Titans had success, they were able to throw the ball effectively.

We either stick with our run-first approach and hope that the run game never gets shut down, or we adapt and use the speed and weapons we have to create mismatches and open space and give our playmakers room to work.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think recent NFL events have shown that if you can't consistently throw the ball and have a great passing game, you won't win.

Ravens + Titans are run-first teams but even when the Titans had success, they were able to throw the ball effectively.

We either stick with our run-first approach and hope that the run game never gets shut down, or we adapt and use the speed and weapons we have to create mismatches and open space and give our playmakers room to work.

I dislike this take. First of all, every offense in the league gains more yards on passes than the run. Without looking it up the 49ers would have been one of the most percentage weighted run teams in the league and they easily could be super bowl favorites right now, but just missed out for reasons that have nothing to do with "run-first approach". I don't think "recent NFL events" revealed anything. The best passing offenses are not in the SB. 

"Run-first" is a vague classification that is applied to results after the fact to fit a point of view. Heck, the Bengals were getting a ton of criticism for 1st down runs, which I also didn't like, and yet...

Edited by wackywabbit

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

The Bengals have won more playoff games this postseason than we have in the past 9 seasons combined.

At some point, something has to change philosophy-wise. I'm not sure what it looks like, but the days of us saying "our down years are usually only like 8-8, that's a good place to be as a franchise" just simply don't cut it anymore. 

Also disagree with this. The Bengals making the super bowl is further proof to me that from a big picture/team building perspective you just want to build a team that can win 10+ games a year. If that team gets into the playoffs they have a shot.

5 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Maybe what happened with Wink will happen with Roman. Harbaugh requests change to scheme and if they refuse they move on. 

I like hearing some of this stuff. The fact that our WR (not Andrews) are atrocious after the catch is definitely a problem that stands out when watching our offense relative to the rest of the league. Hollywood is probably the worst in the league at that, but it's not like anyone else is breaking away for TDs. He also talked about people running the wrong route, which is "not OK", which is another thing that gets called out regularly by people who break down our offense. I don't know why that wasn't fixed in season, though.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Also disagree with this. The Bengals making the super bowl is further proof to me that from a big picture/team building perspective you just want to build a team that can win 10+ games a year. If that team gets into the playoffs they have a shot.

This is the first SB in history where neither team had a bye.

There’s something to be said about building your team with a “high floor” approach concerned with depth, comp picks, etc. so that you have a chance to “make the dance” every year.

Bu clearly that approach hasn’t worked with this team the last decade. 2 playoff wins in 9 years is embarrassing from an organization that every fan (including myself) flaunts as a crowning example of organizational stability and quality in the NFL.

I get the “just make the dance” roster building approach. It may work for some teams like the Bengals this year. But it hasn’t worked for this team in a decade.

I think we’ve sacrificed some potential higher ceilings due to us constantly making sure we have a high floor with things like comp picks, FA spending, preaching “hitting doubles” in the draft, not taking chances on potential character issues, etc. 

Just my opinion but the results since 2013 speak for themselves. “Just making the dance” with 10 wins isn’t going to cut it in an AFC with Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc. moving forward.

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't understand Ravens fans rooting against the Bengals so hard. Sure, they play in our division but I don't find it hard at all to root for those guys considering the lack of success that franchise has had for decades.

I don't think it is all Ravens fans rooting against the Bengals. There are only 2 teams so the baseline is half picking a given side so it will be a lot of people either way. The Bengals are easily the most like-able division team, and I'm sure an overwhelming majority of Ravens fans, including me, wanted them to win over the Chiefs.

I'm rooting Rams in the SB because Weddle is my favorite player remaining and I think Donald is the most deserving player in the entire league to get a ring. It's not anti-Bengals, for me personally.

Harbaugh is very against changing both coordinators in an offseason. My guess (and hope) is we have a plan in place to replace him mid season if things don’t change. Tee Martin was being considered for the Bills OC position so he could be a candidate for a mid season change. Oddly one of my biggest pet peeves with Roman is how late he gets plays in. He has acknowledged he is at fault for this. Makes it impossible to make adjustments at the line and we are frequently rushing to get the snap off Which just feels chaotic. 

I’m also really excited for Mike McDonald based on the reviews of him at Michigan. Things like him being a good teacher, schemes to player strengths, and is collaborative. 

5 hours ago, jpeter15 said:

I’m also really excited for Mike McDonald based on the reviews of him at Michigan. Things like him being a good teacher, schemes to player strengths, and is collaborative. 

Yea there's not really any aspect to the McDonald hire that has me concerned. Seems like we brought a fast rising talent back into the fold at a critical time. I'm excited as well.

Thought there could be some resentment to the new guy because Wink was so beloved by the players, but most of our guys already know MM and he's considered a player's coach as well.