Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Something I wasn’t a huge fan of in DeCosta’s presser: when asked why it’s a no-brainer to pick up Brown’s 5th option (said earlier in the presser), Decosta said “because he’s my first pick ever”.

He didn’t really give a football reason after that either. He just talked about how he had a special place in his heart and they’re tied together because he was his first draft pick.

Like, not sure that should be your primary reason for picking up 5th year options and the contracts that come along with them lol

I think he also mentioned how much a bargain price the 5th year option is for Brown which probably doesn’t suit that well with him. Kind of flaunting that he’ll be underpaid. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

For what it's worth. Hollywood Brown has unfollowed the Ravens on IG and deleted all of his Ravens related pictures. 

If this is some attempt at trying to get out, I'm honestly done. Nip it in the bud. See what the Falcons want for Ridley and let's make a deal involving both parties. 

This is the new thing to do when trying to get a bigger contract. Lots of athletes are doing across multiple sports. I doubt it's anything to worry about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpeter15 said:

I think he also mentioned how much a bargain price the 5th year option is for Brown which probably doesn’t suit that well with him. Kind of flaunting that he’ll be underpaid. 

Yeah and honestly I don't even really agree that $13 mil is underpaid for Hollywood...he shows flashes but anyone thinking he's a full fledged #1 WR just wants him to be because of our track record drafting WRs...he's a good #2 on most offenses in this league. But that's about it (currently). 

10 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah and honestly I don't even really agree that $13 mil is underpaid for Hollywood...he shows flashes but anyone thinking he's a full fledged #1 WR just wants him to be because of our track record drafting WRs...he's a good #2 on most offenses in this league. But that's about it (currently). 

Ehh... take a look at the WR contracts across the league. Brown at $13 million isn't bad. 

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 5:20 AM, coordinator0 said:

This is the new thing to do when trying to get a bigger contract. Lots of athletes are doing across multiple sports. I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Yea, this is a very mild way to posture for contract negotiation leverage. There are still some in the Ravens fanbase acting indignified at Orlando Brown "demanding" out even though he was a total pro when playing for us and the organization themselves seem to genuinely like and respect him. 

I'm never going to fault a guy for seeking to get his check at the appropriate time and by appropriate time I mean the offseason. I have no doubt Hollywood will show up ready to ball next season.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

Playing around on Overthecap and messed with their calculator. Ravens currently have 8.7 million in cap space.  If we cut these folks, the Ravens would have roughly 32 milly in cap space to work with.

• #78  - 6 mill
  • Tavon Young - 5.8 mill
  • Derek Wolf (With a Post June 1st designation) - 2 Mill
  • Miles Boykin - 2.5 mill
  • Ben Powers - 2.5 mill
  • Jaylon Ferguson - 965K
  • Josh Oliver - 1 mill
  • Iman Marshall - 825K
  • Wildcard Sam Koch - 2.1 mill (I'm leaning towards what @diamondbull424 has been saying. Might be time to cut bait)

Could probably add another 6-8 million if they extend LJ8, but he might be going after his joe Flacco moment. Hope it works out, too. I wouldn't miss any of these players aside from Koch. I think all of their replacements can be found in the draft, imo. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Tavon if he's willing to work for 2 mill or so.

If the cap space did work out to be around 30 or so million, who would you want to add in Free Agency?

Edited by RavensfanRD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Playing around on Overthecap and messed with their calculator. Ravens currently have 8.7 million in cap space.  If we cut these folks, the Ravens would have roughly 32 milly in cap space to work with.

• #78  - 6 mill
  • Tavon Young - 5.8 mill
  • Derek Wolf (With a Post June 1st designation) - 2 Mill
  • Miles Boykin - 2.5 mill
  • Ben Powers - 2.5 mill
  • Jaylon Ferguson - 965K
  • Josh Oliver - 1 mill
  • Iman Marshall - 825K
  • Wildcard Sam Koch - 2.1 mill (I'm leaning towards what @diamondbull424 has been saying. Might be time to cut bait)

Could probably add another 6-8 million if they extend LJ8, but he might be going after his joe Flacco moment. Hope it works out, too. I wouldn't miss any of these players aside from Koch. I think all of their replacements can be found in the draft, imo. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Tavon if he's willing to work for 2 mill or so.

If the cap space did work out to be around 30 or so million, who would you want to add in Free Agency?

I think our main target should be Tyrann Mathieu. Pairing him beside Chuck, Marlo and Peters would really transform this secondary. Have Stephens under the learning tree a little longer will do him nothing but good. 

Bring Calais and Ricard back. Only of Ricard comes back on reasonable money. 

I think Patrick Peterson would be a low key decent signing. He's up there in age but can still cover the slot and mentor our inevitable 1-2 CB draft picks. 

Other than that, I'm not really sure. We could again kick the tires on a guy like Clowney but it all comes down to $$ again. He's wanted to play with us is the past. 

I'd also like to see us take a look at DT Harrison Philips from Buffalo. Really under appreciated guy. Gets our D line younger. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I think our main target should be Tyrann Mathieu. Pairing him beside Chuck, Marlo and Peters would really transform this secondary. Have Stephens under the learning tree a little longer will do him nothing but good. 

I think Patrick Peterson would be a low key decent signing. He's up there in age but can still cover the slot and mentor our inevitable 1-2 CB draft picks. 

Other than that, I'm not really sure. We could again kick the tires on a guy like Clowney but it all comes down to $$ again. He's wanted to play with us is the past. 

I'd also like to see us take a look at DT Harrison Philips from Buffalo. Really under appreciated guy. Gets our D line younger. 

I would rather have PP on the outside and throw Marlo in the slot tbh but that's just me.

8 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I definitely want to bring Calais back, but for some reason I don't think he intends to sign with the Ravens. Just a gut feeling I'm having. I can take or leave Project Pat, but as you said for the right price I'm all for it. Honey Badger would be a nice addition to the squad and I wouldn't be opposed. If the Ravens don't plan to draft a TE, I wouldn't mind them looking at Ertz again or trying to run it back with Hurst if he's down for another run. I think he'd have a bigger role this time around. Or at least I'd hope.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would rather have PP on the outside and throw Marlo in the slot tbh but that's just me.

That's a lot of money being kicked into the slot. Don't know if they'd go for that one.

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

Just curious, but after Stanley who is everybody’s favorite OL they expect to be back next year?

Favorite and expect to be back? IDK Our OL isn't too talented so there isn't many favorites to be found, but I expect Zeitler and Mekari to be back and they played decent in 2021. I think Bozeman is meh and he could easily cash himself out in FA.